Walts

Paladin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

23 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

considering he's still able to make a baguette look like an offensive weapon i think he can wear his medals however the hell he likes.

This.

On 19/11/2020 at 12:25, Tommikka said:

936D52E5-057B-4A17-A9FA-FCE04D16CEEB.jpeg

A genuine WW2 Belgian SAS veteran pursed by Walt hunters because they didn’t like his medal arrangement or the mix  of beret colour and badge

I had the privilege of meeting this gentleman at the Menin Gate a few years back.  100% genuine and an extraordinary man.

Edited by John_W
Something went wrong :(

Being a Walt is not just claiming to have military service under your decidedly un-militarily large belt.  It's anyone who dreams that they are a hero and talks as such despite being a dreaming, hapless, drip.  

Plenty of Walting around all the damn time.  Thurber's story is as relevant now as it was ninety tears ago.  

Never served, nor would i be brave enough to sign up...

As far as i, and many airsofters i have met (serving, former military and civilian only) are concerned,  there is no issue in wearing any patches/emblems as long as you dont claim to be something you are not, as most people know that 99% of airsofters have never served.

I have had a couple of people ask me where i served etc due to patches and equipment i use, but i never claim to have served nor would i.

One was a kid asking me if i was a commando because my MTP UBAC shirt had commando patches on the sleeves...   my answer was simply "no, the shirt came with the patches already sewn on, and i just cant be arsed to remove them"

Another serving member asked me where i served to be issued with my virtus helmet,  to which i replied that it was an ebay purchase from a military surplus shop.

TL,DR  dont make false claims, and there shouldnt be any issue with you wearing whatever you want for plastic pew-pewing

Edited by Spartan09
Spelling mistake due to typo on mobile

I cant speak for military but I have seen airsofters wearing police gear and as an officer myself I found it slightly amusing, their impression was ARV and from a distance it did look spot on.

There are plenty of ex military in the police and from the ones who I know I highly doubt any would care about airsofters dressing up as military (its basically a compliment) however one thing that will piss off any soldier (or cop) is people acting like theyv been in the job when they havent. If those ARV guys had been going around talking crap about being in the police I would have given them a very awkward time.

On 19/11/2020 at 11:14, BigStew said:

as long as you don't add on anything you didn't earn your generally fine. the issue is claiming or acting like you are ex military.  There was a former player who was a complete Walt he claimed  to be ex foreign Legion but couldn't speak a word of French. Everyone though he was a twat and he was eventually banned for poor sportsmanship after several warnings. 

So basically don't be a dick and you'll be fine.

I think I know who you refer to.  Big chap with black hair and a moustache by any chance?

Oh and I run an Irish army Ranger Wing loadout too, but am actually Irish  as well as being currently servivg UK military😜 If you have any pics of IDF RW gear let me know as its bloody hard to find decent pics of! 

• Supporters

I’m ex forces and generally ’lean’ towards not using UK specific unit patches , ranks , etc as most do look like a sack of s*it tied nasty but i’m not going to attack you for it (unless of course you are walt’ing it up)May look at you with a look on my face that says “you are a sad little looser” but as I said no arse wooping in bound unless deserved .  As far as I’m concerned foreign forces are fare game , because they ARE foreign so one would think the chances of bumping in to a genuine ex-spetsnaz/SEAL/green beret/Irish pathfinder are slim to none existent On a British airsoft site ? 
as to WALT hunting I only follow the Walter Mitty hunters on Facebook , there about the only ones who actually do use due diligence when investigating accusations of being a Walt . 

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK in the Republic it can be seen as an offence to have accurate Irish gear. No issue for you mainlanders but I was warned about being careful in selling my Aug at one point... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 00:36, remus said:

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK in the Republic it can be seen as an offence to have accurate Irish gear. No issue for you mainlanders but I was warned about being careful in selling my Aug at one point... 

Its an offence in the Republic to wear Irish Army camo if you are not in the IDF.  Its also an offence to sell it.  Hence why its hard to find over here.  The Irish government holds the rights to the camo pattern and don't allow it to be commercially reproduced though you can buy some very expensive bits from Arktis in the UK, not sure why.

27 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Its an offence in the Republic to wear Irish Army camo if you are not in the IDF.  Its also an offence to sell it.  Hence why its hard to find over here.  The Irish government holds the rights to the camo pattern and don't allow it to be commercially reproduced though you can buy some very expensive bits from Arktis in the UK, not sure why.

They will have granted licences for production, and may have an arrangement with Arktis for sale outside of Ireland.

There are many factors in the camouflage patterns where rights have been retained.

For example Crye own the rights to multicam, the UK has licenced for the design of MTP and the MoD (probably DE&S) own the rights and licence it out for contract and commercial production.

Others have produced their own multicam style variants, or just ignore licencing.   Russia (alledgedly) have pirated multicam for their variant.

It may appear foolish where there are laws affecting sensible use of a camouflage pattern/uniform in airsoft etc, but it can be a tiny factor in some security elements.

A ‘ban’ is no alternative to proper security measures - such as US security failures which allowed nastys in Afghan to go straight through gates by dressing up in copied uniform from the local market 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.