Lmg/Gpmg - I Need People With Experience

JME

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I thought I’d join today as I’ve just got back into airsoft properly and I’ve had some questions brewing. I used to mess around as a kid but nothing too serious, I’m in my 20s now and it’s a bit of a change than going to my local range. 

Basically I’m interested in being a support gunner. I’ve look at what’s available currently and my price range is about £500-£600 but I’d go a tat bit higher if it’s worth it. 

I was originally looking at a LCT RPK with is made well and it’s quite practical for a LMG as it’s just a long rifle. I’m moving more away from that idea as I’m not sure if I’m feeling the Soviet load out. 

Ive heard the A&K M249 II is a workhorse if you don’t mind the bad box mags. I’m after a solid stock, no para or folding stock and in black. Price I’ve found is around £440 currently. 

Now I’ve also been looking at the M240B which I’d much prefer as it’s less common and it’s just badass. As it’s so uncommon I haven’t been able to find a following and loads of information on it like you would the 249. A&K stopped their 240B production over a year ago and all the last ones are sold out. I have seen two manufacturers still on sale, that is JG and Golden Eagle. Now from what I can remember JG is a ‘budget’ (Correct me if I’m wrong) brand and Golden Eagle I’ve never heard of?!  

Can someone with a bit more insight be able to give me more information on the JG or Golden Eagle M240 Bravo and if it’s a pile of junk or a decent gun. 

Many thanks,

J

I have an A&K M249 Para. Its a solid rifle, like all LMG A&K gearboxes it needs shimming and AOE correction out of the box or else you'll strip pistons. There are loads of good upgrades for it as well. 

I don't know anything about the 240B apart from its bloody heavy, awkward to handle, harder to find any upgrades or replacement parts with regards to the hop etc. JG and Golden Eagle are the same manufacturer. Golden Eagle is the name they use more on the continent. 

If it's your only LMG, go for the M249. 

I have a M27 but I see it more of a longer 416 rather than a LMG. Size and weight isn’t an issue for me. I think the 249 will be the best option unless I hear otherwise. Obviously I would prefer the M240B but I’ve not had experience with JG and idk if I’d be happy with spending £600 on a gun with no reviews. 

Had several A&K M249 relatively heavy but easy to work on, the mags sound activation switch tends to fail but the actual feed mech is reliable.The GPMG IS very large and very heavy my mate loves his but it has been to the tech several times.

• Supporters

I've had 3, top M60, star m249 para & a classic army 249 para.

If I had to pick what was best, performance & reliability, it'd be the star hands down, but rare as rocking horse poop nowadays.

For coolness, I'd consider a stoner, cool as f#ck 👍

I run an RPK.   It's cheapy CYMA.  I rate it TBH.  It chugs along all weekend at milsims and has done the last couple of years.  An 800 round hi-cap is more than enough I find, but mid-cap only games you can carry a fair few AK mags at little weight, cost or hassle, but then they fit my load outs.   Drum mags are cheap enough if they take your fancy.  LCT always seem OK to me.  I'd go for one for sure.

I've used 60s, 249s and the like.  Mainly home builds or Frankenstein creations so no useful opinion on them I reckon.

Thing with support gunning is learning suppression.  A lot get used as standard rifles with a higher ammo allowance IMHO.  

8 hours ago, BigStew said:

Had several A&K M249 relatively heavy but easy to work on, the mags sound activation switch tends to fail but the actual feed mech is reliable.The GPMG IS very large and very heavy my mate loves his but it has been to the tech several times.

Do you know the reasons for repair and what GPMG he has?

No idea if they're any good or not, as I haven't tried them, but have you seen the Cybergun M249? At about £250 it might be a lighter, cheaper option for you. 

EDIT: Never mind, just noticed that you want the full stock.

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Ilike all LMG A&K gearboxes it needs shimming and AOE correction out of the box or else you'll strip pistons.

i've worked on a&k m60's and pk variations and they seem to use the same box and barrel mech.

defo agree with the above but they can run pretty sweet once you've got them setup right and you're not trying to push stupid numbers out of them.

their hop units/rubbers are rather lackluster, but an aftermarket rubber and redneck tdc (ie tapping the hole for the nub and fitting a grub screw) seems to work pretty damn well.

tbh of the support guns i've used, the pkm seems to be the most practical of the "big" options, although granted the 249 is gonna be much lighter and easier handled.

not sure what to make of jg's m240, it could be good or terrible although my gut feeling is if it follows the trend jg's been on lately of producing decent performers it might not be so bad

8 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i've worked on a&k m60's and pk variations and they seem to use the same box and barrel mech.

defo agree with the above but they can run pretty sweet once you've got them setup right and you're not trying to push stupid numbers out of them.

their hop units/rubbers are rather lackluster, but an aftermarket rubber and redneck tdc (ie tapping the hole for the nub and fitting a grub screw) seems to work pretty damn well.

tbh of the support guns i've used, the pkm seems to be the most practical of the "big" options, although granted the 249 is gonna be much lighter and easier handled.

not sure what to make of jg's m240, it could be good or terrible although my gut feeling is if it follows the trend jg's been on lately of producing decent performers it might not be so bad

I am fairly certain after a little research that A&K are the OEM and only manufacturer of the 240B. It uses the same gearbox as the PKP and M249.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I am fairly certain after a little research that A&K are the OEM and only manufacturer of the 240B. It uses the same gearbox as the PKP and M249.

so the jg version is just a rebrand? sounds promising then.

14 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

For the price it must be decent. If I’m right they clone stuff so it might be a A&K clone

5 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

So if all goes wrong I can just put m249 internals in the 240 as they’re easy to source?

4 minutes ago, JME said:

For the price it must be decent. If I’m right they clone stuff so it might be a A&K clone

So if all goes wrong I can just put m249 internals in the 240 as they’re easy to source?

In theory. None ot us really know as we havent seen it. It's just been suggested it's the same internals as the M249. 

My worry would be Hop unit. They are notoriously bad and not every LMG has a better upgrade. 

Just now, Asomodai said:

In theory. None ot us really know as we havent seen it. It's just been suggested it's the same internals as the M249. 

My worry would be Hop unit. They are notoriously bad and not every LMG has a better upgrade. 

I’d there anywhere I could get more information about the M240?  I’m sure I could butcher on a new hop unit 😂

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

so the jg version is just a rebrand? sounds promising then.

Certainly sounds like it. Makes sense as well considering it's highly priced for a JG, on par with A&Ks more esoteric LMG offerings and Jg havent ever made a LMG gearbox equipped rifle to my knowledge. 

1 minute ago, JME said:

I’d there anywhere I could get more information about the M240?  I’m sure I could butcher on a new hop unit 😂

No idea. Maybe look at some disassembly videos if there are any and compare. 

The other issue is external damage. I have an A&K MK43 that could use a new outer barrel assembly as the trunion is knackered. Which causes the barrel to move around and round. Cant find anywhere that sells the A&K specific one, guaranteed it will be impossible to find 240B externals outside of buying another one. 

I still recommend a M249!

5 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Certainly sounds like it. Makes sense as well considering it's highly priced for a JG, on par with A&Ks more esoteric LMG offerings and Jg havent ever made a LMG gearbox equipped rifle to my knowledge. 

No idea. Maybe look at some disassembly videos if there are any and compare. 

The other issue is external damage. I have an A&K MK43 that could use a new outer barrel assembly as the trunion is knackered. Which causes the barrel to move around and round. Cant find anywhere that sells the A&K specific one, guaranteed it will be impossible to find 240B externals outside of buying another one. 

I still recommend a M249!

I’m an engineering/tool and die maker/machinist so any new parts and repairs I can do myself. I know the 249 is the more sensible option however I’m just after something different. If I get fed up I’ll just sell it and get a 249. If I buy online I’ve got 6 months buyer protection anyway so that takes some stress off. 

Get the GPMG for banter, but there is also the stoner 63 which may be more "practical" as it has a semi auto mode. Its a V2 gearbox so nothing fancy inside (for better or worse) though the hop unit is proprietary and spare parts are fairly hard to come buy - Evike gets bits in stock occasionally but I don't know any other places that do.

Edit:

Pretty decent overview over on arnies airsoft: https://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/218287-echo-1-m240-review-kinda/

TLDR, the options for gpmg seem to be, from best to worst:

Inokatsu

Echo 1

S&T

Golden Eagle

(I had no idea there were that many)

• Supporters

@JME, how's your back ?, if you've got even the slightest twinges I'd stay away from the M60 & possibly the m240, the Airsoft 60's are very front heavy so shooting from the shoulder is guaranteed to aggregate a twitchy back, I've only used the real steel gpmg & again poorly balanced, if the Airsoft version is similar then it too might be an issue ?

Me, I'm gonna wait to see what delights Nuprol bring out 🤣

40 minutes ago, Tackle said:

@JME, how's your back ?, if you've got even the slightest twinges I'd stay away from the M60 & possibly the m240, the Airsoft 60's are very front heavy so shooting from the shoulder is guaranteed to aggregate a twitchy back, I've only used the real steel gpmg & again poorly balanced, if the Airsoft version is similar then it too might be an issue ?

Me, I'm gonna wait to see what delights Nuprol bring out 🤣

I’m not too worried. I’m a 17 Stone rugby player in my 20s. Quite athletic. That’s why I don’t Mind the gpmg role. Just the cool factor for me

3 hours ago, JME said:

Do you know the reasons for repair and what GPMG he has?

Gearbox failure and feeding issues, think he has gone through two box mags but that may have been his M60. Oh the A&K M60 rate of fire control is junk if you get one bypass it 

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, JME said:

I’m not too worried. I’m a 17 Stone rugby player in my 20s. Quite athletic. That’s why I don’t Mind the gpmg role. Just the cool factor for me

What a coincidence, I'm a 17st ex rugby player, unfortunately I'm 52 & quite literally fucked lol, back & knees💩, so lugging the heaviest kit on a gameday is no longer fun 😢

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

What a coincidence, I'm a 17st ex rugby player, unfortunately I'm 52 & quite literally fucked lol, back & knees💩, so lugging the heaviest kit on a gameday is no longer fun 😢

It’s always a pleasure meeting a fellow egg chaser🙋🏽‍♂️Don’t you worry I’ll be there in 20 years or so. And from what I here the airsoft M240B has an aluminium body and is only about 15 pounds give or take

This is for anyone who has a M249. This is the gear box assembly for a Echo 1 M240B. These are screen shots from a Youtube video and the only information I can find. Is this the same box as a M249?

Thank you. 

8063CC55-DB19-4A47-BA5E-F3C13BC9003E.png

D8C307F8-7E22-48C4-A3CF-E068FD66F626.jpeg

74C28C48-1179-445E-BA0D-5E357116ABD1.jpeg

41A4DEDB-260D-4E3C-9F16-CBF67211A1B5.jpeg

10F052C9-F225-41BF-B2D2-4E5FC91B4BFE.jpeg

0967025F-0DF0-4199-A623-782457656B75.jpeg

7753A1A2-D118-4517-BEA2-B2464D457855.jpeg

46 minutes ago, JME said:

It’s always a pleasure meeting a fellow egg chaser🙋🏽‍♂️Don’t you worry I’ll be there in 20 years or so. And from what I here the airsoft M240B has an aluminium body and is only about 15 pounds give or take

This is for anyone who has a M249. This is the gear box assembly for a Echo 1 M240B. These are screen shots from a Youtube video and the only information I can find. Is this the same box as a M249?

Thank you. 

8063CC55-DB19-4A47-BA5E-F3C13BC9003E.png

D8C307F8-7E22-48C4-A3CF-E068FD66F626.jpeg

74C28C48-1179-445E-BA0D-5E357116ABD1.jpeg

41A4DEDB-260D-4E3C-9F16-CBF67211A1B5.jpeg

10F052C9-F225-41BF-B2D2-4E5FC91B4BFE.jpeg

0967025F-0DF0-4199-A623-782457656B75.jpeg

7753A1A2-D118-4517-BEA2-B2464D457855.jpeg

That is categorically not the A&K m249/m60 box. I am not sure what that is. Looks like my info is wrong!

• Supporters

that's the echo 1 version not a&k

i don't know anything really about the echo 1 version save that there is a fusion engine variant for it alongside a variant for the a&k based gearboxes.

so presumably they're popular enough in the usa to merit such attention?

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

that's the echo 1 version not a&k

i don't know anything really about the echo 1 version save that there is a fusion engine variant for it alongside a variant for the a&k based gearboxes.

so presumably they're popular enough in the usa to merit such attention?

Ahhhhh I see. I wasn’t too sure if they were clones or original designs. I’ll have a look into fusion. I just wanted to make sure if it blew up I could fix it with spares

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.