Parts Build or Upgrade From a Platform?

JS101

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I like things to be slightly "off standard" - in the sense of I like bits from some things and not others.

My last few guitars, for example, have all been "partscasters" and somewhat hybrid like - mixing pickup types and that sort of thing.

I have a mind to build up a gun in a similar vein - rail from this, stock from that - and of course upgraded internals.

What I don't have a sense of is how economical or safe it is to build from a set of parts - as against buying a complete gun and upgrading.

It will be an M4 - but looking into things I tend to see that although some manufacturers claim to be v2 compliant etc, you can run up against compatibility issues.

So I wonder is it safe to buy a load of different parts - or is it better to start from a base and work from there?

BTW I will probably get a tech to put it together ( I have neither the time nor expertise at this point) so its just a compatibility and fit issue I am concerned about.

I dont want to spend money on good parts to find that they don't actually work together!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Supporters

If you dont have the inclination to do it yourself i'd say your better off getting a base gun.

Whilst you can build an m4 from parts its no guarantee its gonna be the best, or even good, and most folk will just see it as another ar based gun. I have done it as an evolutionary process and the end result even with things like literally one of a kind handmade parts was still just an m4.

If you want to be different then the easiest way is to just buy something that isnt an m4 (or an ak), plenty of gats out there that you seldom see. For example i've never seen anyone fielding an mg42 that wasnt the one i owned.

Of course that brings its own problems, particularly when you're committing to proprietary parts which can limit how far you can push performance without a lot of work. The m4 platform is popular for good reason after all.

What are you actually looking to achieve? Just something which is externally different to anything currently on the market? If that's the case, you can get something with an M4 receiver and usually add the handguard and stock of your choice (although even with that some are incompatible and require modification). If you're talking more about internals, you'd be best off working with your chosen tech, as at the end of the day it'll be them who's putting their name to it.

Depends on what's your goal.

If you want a particular look, then I'd get the base that has the most parts already fitted.

If you want performance, more or less the same although if the plan is to completely rebuild the box with your own shit, you may just want a gun with the "best" box possible. By best I mean whatever is confirmed to take all the parts you want to use.

Building a gun from the ground up takes an incredible amount of research to see what parts go well with X box or receiver, unfortunately in airsoft standards aren't real standards, so a V2 G&G box is not guaranteed to fit a V2 VFC receiver or a V2/V3 set of gears may not like to be inside a particular V2 box. And it ends up being super expensive as well

I built my G&P from parts. I got the gearbox, receiver, and barrel which came to about £200. I spent about £200 on new gears, motor, piston, cylinder head and gate titan and another £100 on an optic, rail, grip and stock. It's been r hopped and has almost instant trigger response with precocking. I love it and it's mine but honestly it's not cheaper than getting a base gun to upgrade and customize. 

Thanks chaps, this is very helpful.

I'm not looking to be different per se - rather its more of a question of I like X stock but you cant get that with Y rail.

Sounds like base and upgrade is the way forward - which is kind of where I was leaning.

Thanks all!

You can take a look at my "Wat am bset XXXXX" threads to see how I went with picking new guns :D

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Skara said:

You can take a look at my "Wat am bset XXXXX" threads to see how I went with picking new guns :D

^ just only use it as a technical reference not a stylistic one

Both my AEG L119s are scratch builds, I actually had very few compatability issues (but there were some) , however I refuse to work out how much each build cost me !

If you want a unique M4 then why not the LR300?

It's M4/AR based but that's about it. The receiver is different, It's got a wire stock, Really oddball grip system for an M4 variant, And they look good.

A&K currently make a few variants of the LR300 and you almost never see one fielded.

https://www.fatbobs.co.uk/a-k-lr300-short.html
spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2020 at 16:49, Nick G said:

Both my AEG L119s are scratch builds, I actually had very few compatability issues (but there were some) , however I refuse to work out how much each build cost me !

I'm looking to build an aeg a1 from scratch, assuming I can get a g&p receiver imported to start me off. 

I have looked for a base gun but it'd end up like triggers broom by the time it's finished.

Would be interesting to hear what worked/didn't work for you.

2 hours ago, lukeB said:

I'm looking to build an aeg a1 from scratch, assuming I can get a g&p receiver imported to start me off. 

I have looked for a base gun but it'd end up like triggers broom by the time it's finished.

Would be interesting to hear what worked/didn't work for you.

My A1 is based on a G&P receiver, BUT, the trades are actually C8 not L119 and  G&P do tend to go their own way with certain parts. Thread for the barrel nut for instance is different to most others. My A2 build is bassed around a blank Cyma receiver that I then got engraved and machined . Internally they are very similar, I used E&C gear boxes , however the A2 build was actually easier because of fitment of parts. Also depending on how accurate you want to get there is machine work needed on the upper for an A1 which the G&P will still need doing. My gas  A1 has all the correct upper work, trades and even the correct mod on the buffer tube , all done by LCs engineering. They have a waiting list but for a bloody good reason, they are excellent. What length are you going for .long or short ? 

Feel free to message me and i can give you a rough list of parts i used for the AEG's .

A1 and A2 AEGs and the gas A1

PA220011.JPG

PA280003.JPG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.