Radios - Baofeng, Headsets Etc, What's Reasonable?

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

Looking at my lack of radio which may hamper milsims in the future. I have used the standard issue Baofeng UV5R and wasn't massively happy with the reception. 

I have been recommended the UV-B5 which apparently has that slightly stronger and clearer signal. 

I haven't got a clue about PTTs or Headsets. My budget is quite small, say 50-60 quid, is that enough?

I prefer single ear headphones rather then earphone style sets. I am pretty deaf in my left ear if that helps! 

Where is good in the UK to purchase what I require?

7 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Doesnt the baofeng come with an in-ear?

It's utter shit though, mine died within 2 days.

I recommend buying the MA-26LK from Midland and then an earphone of your choice. Been using one for quite a while (first with my Midland G7, then with the UV-5R

Mind you that there are 2 versions, the MA-26L has a midland plug (still 2 pins but they're inverted) and the LK has the Kenwood plug (which is what Baofengs use).

Many of the Beofengs you see on Amazon and ebay are actually copies of that original product. However they work just as effective and for the price of £20 odd pounds one can’t complain. 

Google fake beofeng models and you’ll see what I mean. 

Baofeng officially stopped production of their most popular mode the UV5R + about 5 yrs ago and started with the BF series. However they licensed resellers to make radios and these manufacturers added additional cosmetic changes like  plus or III and so on. 

At the end of the day they all seem to work fine. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.