Hop Units

snuff

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

In what ? Most M4 types with a standard M4 hop can be switched to a rotary. Is you unit playing up ?

Yes M4.Just curious,there seem to be more CNC rotary's available.I may change it out as it's plastic atm.

I actually quite like the cheap plastic rotary units.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-chambers/zci-rotary-hopup-chamber-plastic-m4

I find rotary units in general don't need a metal arm. They apply force to the nub in a more direct fashion and have better arm holding. The arms in both the ZCI plastic and CNC are the same.

You do sometimes have to modify the ZCI ones to fit, The ring itself can sometimes rub on the gearbox / gearbox area. Filing a chamfer onto the back side of the ring has corrected this on a couple of M4's for me.

Is there much noticable benefit from going standard plastic to cnc hop unit?No issue with the std atm but we MUST fiddle...

I can't comment on the M4 units, but I've tried CNC AUG units (airsoft pro), the standard one is plastic. Between the 2 the plastic ones are better, Plastic on plastic is grippier on the dial so they take a lot more force to adjust, and keep the settings locked on. The CNC one was much looser on the dial and has a habit of wandering over the course of a days shoot.

In terms of hop performance both are pretty much identical.

It's the reason I didn't go CNC for the M4's. Figured the dials would be stiffer (and they are). The only CNC I think I'd be tempted by is the MAXX unit with all the bells and whistles as it's more than just a CNC unit, It's a configurable nub replacement system as well with options for CNC flathop and various metal arms that are included.

https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/maxx-model-airsoft-cnc-hop-unit-me-pro-for-m-series-aeg-hop005pro-29755-p.asp

Ive got rotary hops in some of my builds, 2 are SHS metal ones and 2 are the plastic equivilent . Cant say that there is much difference in performance between them. All work very well, I do prefer the rotary type, as mentioned above , occasionally a bit of adjusting is required to get everything fitting properly, but thats not unusual in airsoft where different manufacturers parts are not always identicle.

• Supporters

it's a case of quality and QC

i've not used the shs plastic ones but they seem to be well liked, and perhaps a nice switch from a standard type.

the advantage of the rotary style is finer adjustment for the likes of flat/r/maple leaf style hops that have a smaller "sweet spot" for lifting.

the maxx unit is very nice, but perhaps not worth the money unless the rest of the build is already pretty well dialed in to take advantage of it.

• Supporters

I have a couple of the Maxx units and they ARE very well made but if you don't want or need the extra bells and whistles then they are quite pricey.

Quality of manufacture is the key here though. A good plastic hop unit will always be better than a shoddy CNC'd one. As long as it holds it's adjustment and the application of hop is consistent it doesn't really make much difference what it's made of. The Maxx units are made by a company with a track record of high quality precision parts manufacture, but that doesn't mean it WILL outperform a plastic ZCI rotary!

Also worth bearing in mind is that the whole "CNC rotary hops am bestest !!!!11!!!" comes from the days when aftermarket hops were either shitty plastic ones that were worse than the TM's, cast metal ones that were hit and miss or the Prowin. These days the plastic ones have got better and the Prowin ones haven't.

I sell many of the plastic ZCI Rotary, I don't even remember a customer saying they had an incompatibly issue although I'm sure they is from time to time, Luke from Negative Airsoft installs dozens of them, swears by them.  For the money I don't think you can beat them.  I used to sell the SHS CNC and plastic ones but they started to ship with molded nubs on the hop arm instead of the concave arms.

16 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

I used to sell the SHS CNC and plastic ones but they started to ship with molded nubs on the hop arm instead of the concave arms.

yup, big letdown from SHS -.-

23 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

I sell many of the plastic ZCI Rotary, I don't even remember a customer saying they had an incompatibly issue

Not only feeding but I feel let down when you swap the stock for an expensive CNC one and it means you have to start slamming the mags in. With the plastic ZCI in my Double Eagle Honey Badger, the Double Eagle mag actually goes in much easier than with the stock unit.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.