Airgun Vs Airsoft Chronographs

Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My father has an airgun (Crosman 2250XL Rat Catcher) and wants to do some upgrades to bump the power up slightly.

I have an Xcortech X3200 Mk3 airsoft chronograph.

Question is: can an airsoft Chronograph be used to measure an airgun pellet's velocity reasonably accurately? Has anyone tried it and ran comparisons against airgun-specific models?

Ta Muchly

I wouldn't have thought so, It would depend on if the chrono has the range to measure accurately the FPS. The readout would always be incorrect for the energy since airsoft chrono's are ranged for lower weight ammo. Trying it wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't be expecting anything.

You could use an airgun chrono to get airsoft energy. Most Air rifle chrono's are just FPS meters and the energy has to be worked out on paper afterwards using the ammo weight.

Personally I'd get a rifle chrono. You can actually get cheap ones for about £20 that should have the M/s range needed. Those super cheap ones can be fussy, but playing with it in light/dark conditions should eventually get a reading.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chargeable-Ballistic-Chronograph-Premium-Precision-Bullet-Shooting-Velocity-2020/313157620881?hash=item48e9a61491:g:bqYAAOSwqfVfGQNB

21 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

My father has an airgun (Crosman 2250XL Rat Catcher) and wants to do some upgrades to bump the power up slightly.

Hi.

Be careful not to exceed 12ft pounds with the upgrades unless your dad has a fac license.

Is the crosman co2?

Regards 

Try Googling the combro cb625, I was in the same boat with a Wembley Vulcan given to me by a mate, first thing I did (of course) was chrono it. Came out at 9 ft/lb thankfully so all in the clear.

It’ll also do airsoft stuff so I’ll be using that when it comes to that first post UKARA purchase. Also only 40 quid...

11 hours ago, Shamal said:

Hi.

Be careful not to exceed 12ft pounds with the upgrades unless your dad has a fac license.

Is the crosman co2?

Regards 

Yeh, it's a Crosman Co2. I wanted reasonably accurate chrono readings so I can keep it within legal limits.

TBH, looking into it, it's a bit of a faff though just to gain a couple extra ft/lb. He's only had the thing for a week. A classic case of upgrade-itus. He would probably be a TM NGRS owner if he was 30 years younger...

8 hours ago, Dogsbody100 said:

Try Googling the combro cb625, I was in the same boat with a Wembley Vulcan given to me by a mate, first thing I did (of course) was chrono it. Came out at 9 ft/lb thankfully so all in the clear.

It’ll also do airsoft stuff so I’ll be using that when it comes to that first post UKARA purchase. Also only 40 quid...

Yeh, I had one of those Combros many, many moons ago. This was before the likes of UFpro, Xcortech or even Madbull making reasonably cheap airsoft Chronos.

The Combro Works okay-ish for airsoft assuming that you could fit it onto the flashhider. Nowhere near as convenient to use though as you have to reset between shots, and no ROF readings. But at a basic level, it gets the job done.

9 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Yeh, it's a Crosman Co2. I wanted reasonably accurate chrono readings so I can keep it within legal limits.

TBH, looking into it, it's a bit of a faff though just to gain a couple extra ft/lb. He's only had the thing for a week. A classic case of upgrade-itus. He would probably be a TM NGRS owner if he was 30 years younger...

Yeh, I had one of those Combros many, many moons ago. This was before the likes of UFpro, Xcortech or even Madbull making reasonably cheap airsoft Chronos.

The Combro Works okay-ish for airsoft assuming that you could fit it onto the flashhider. Nowhere near as convenient to use though as you have to reset between shots, and no ROF readings. But at a basic level, it gets the job done.

Yes I too remember the cb625.

It was state of the art years ago up at.the gun club. I remember drooling over it but it cost a lot more back then

I remember it as being a small unit that could be taped to barrel.lol

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.