Making the Novristch Ssp1 a Little Less Shameful

Alimcd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right, here we go. Hopefully some knowledgeable souls will keep an eye on this build and let me know when I'm being a tit. Long story short, When I was getting back into airsoft I dusted off a 12-13 year old Unicorn Aks74u and ran about my local site for a bit, Novritsch was gaining a bit of a following online and was about to release the SSP1, I got my UKARA and jumped aboard the hype train. A little while and a fair few games later, the slide has a lot of play laterally, the slide stop has worn to the point of moving and fouling on the slide, stopping all movement and the thumb safety is so loose that it almost always ends up being set when I draw the gun. Taking it all apart to have a look, there were bits missing (the springs the put tension on the thumb safety for example), and the tolerances on parts like the frame are pretty poor. It is after all a cheap KJW frame with some key Nineball parts.

I've taken this as an opportunity to turn the SSP1 into something that (hopefully) other players don't think "Well, he's a cnut" when they see it and doesn't look or feel like a toy. The funny thing is it only the externals that I have an issue with, the BBU, piston, Hop unit and barrel all seem pretty good. I dare say it' was actually my best performing GBB pistol.

I've ordered a TM lower frame so that noone can see the dreaded Novritsch logo and will be building from there but let it be known that this is essentially going to be a well dressed SSP1. If anyone with experience of a mid-tier Hicapa build (looking to keep it under £400) wants to step in and point me toward critical internal changes, I'm all ears. My thoughts are that when skirmishing the SSP, I always wished it was better made but have never wished that it performed better, it has always been pretty faultless.

The first lot of bits should be here in the next couple days so I'm looking forwards to getting stuck in and any advice will be greatly appreciated

Unfortunately, no matter how intensely I stared at the postman, there were no Hicapa parts in his sack.

The SSP1 is now arguably as well put together now as it was when it arrived 

A952E6FE-BAAF-4F6D-A2E5-1F317890B85A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Alimcd said:

Unfortunately, no matter how intensely I stared at the postman, there were no Hicapa parts in his sack.

The SSP1 is now arguably as well put together now as it was when it arrived 

A952E6FE-BAAF-4F6D-A2E5-1F317890B85A.jpeg

Haha. Love the ballpein hammer. What we used to call contact engineering. 

If in doubt,give it a clout!

Regards 

FFS, Sorry we missed you card on the floor by the front door. Stealth postman today

Maybe I can begin tomorrow?

First set of parcels grabbed. 

Elite shooting centre package with a new thumb safety and springs and a silver spring guide plug fitted and she’s behaving much better. The safety clicks in and out, I’m sure it won’t set itself anytime soon. Putting it all back together, that tensioner in the pistol grip is a shit, isn’t it!?

Got some more stuff arriving tomorrow or Monday 

33F7F6EC-6A1D-4266-92F1-1EE8C1BE11BD.jpeg

C79C3A9C-0CCE-4E24-A7DF-AD35DEEA543D.jpeg

Ha, yup. It’s going to end up being the hammer and sear set, BBU+piston (maybe), hop chamber+barrel and little else. The grip is staying the same, mostly ;)

Well, it turns out that the SSP1 BBU is proprietary to the KJW slide... this may end up essentially being just a totally new Hicapa at this rate! 

I’ve been filing away at it this afternoon but it isn’t quite perfect. Some chin scratching must be done.

Anyway, here’s the state of play. 

E135889B-2C2E-4DF0-BFAF-D17BF8F73E0B.jpeg

24630A86-EEA0-41B0-92E4-4A6CE6EEA3B0.jpeg

Some tinkering later and I’m starting to realise how different the KJW design is to the TM. It’s subtle stuff, like how one side of the blow back unit is longer, the cutout of the lower frame is a totally different size or that the rear sight mount is a different shape.

Its looking more like this is going to end up being a totally new HiCapa with a Novristch grip.

On a side note. Elite Shooting Centre are a pleasure to deal with

On 07/11/2020 at 13:40, Alimcd said:

On a side note. Elite Shooting Centre are a pleasure to deal with

Are you enjoying the experience or wishing you'd just sold this and bought a pre-built from them?

I have 2 high end High capa's from Mike at Elite, both fantastic pistols and highly recommend,  but I still skirmish with a near standard SSP1 (cutaway slide and short stoke kit). Its dependable, accurate enough and survives being sat on, dragged in mud etc for the last 2 years

4 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Are you enjoying the experience or wishing you'd just sold this and bought a pre-built from them?

I'm enjoying the process of making the mistakes and seeing what fits and what doesn't. I find it helps for when things fail if you know how it all works. I wouldn't have sold the SSP as it was. The dodgy safety and rattly build would have just disappointed someone else, I think mine was just a friday afternoon British Leyland jobbie. I must admit that I've hovered over a couple of his guns that are available for sale but at the end of the day I know I will find it far more satisfying to have something that I've pieced together myself.

The Elite BBU and Nozzle arrived today, the weight difference is suprising! Thread lock is currently setting before it can be installed.

He updated the website yesterday to show the range of colours of the Limcat Speedcat slides. I felt obliged to pre-order a grey one!...

Now I need to decide if I'm doing two uppers or two whole guns!

2 hours ago, MadMole said:

I have 2 high end High capa's from Mike at Elite, both fantastic pistols and highly recommend,  but I still skirmish with a near standard SSP1 (cutaway slide and short stoke kit). Its dependable, accurate enough and survives being sat on, dragged in mud etc for the last 2 years

I wish mine had held together like yours! The pot metal parts like the slide catch have turned to mush after a year or so. When it was new, it shot great when the safety wasn't randomly clicking into place...

Oh bugger it all. I’ve just asked Mike for all the other bits I’ll need to turn the spares into another gun. 

I have zero restraint 

A large jiffy bag of parts arrived from Elite earlier. The Novristch SSP1 is now back in working order, The new slide and lightweight BBU offset the extra weight of the RMR and the action is nice and snappy. In the end, the Novristch really didn't need much doing to it, stronger nozzle spring, thumb safety spring and pins etc. I've put a grub screw through the outer barrel to reduce the floppiness of it and overall I'm happy with how it is feeling in hand. The hilarious Trademark skirting of my HolosAn RMR made me smile when I noticed it.

The scratch built HiCapa is now taking shape as well. 

7D50ED9C-9ADD-4652-89FB-DD421483ECD7.jpeg

AB64818E-3199-4230-8771-37629DF2A685.jpeg

44F2A90F-648E-42B8-BF8A-72BB08CA7EF1.jpeg

C07BE48A-40C9-4C69-A045-DF2504912D9D.jpeg

Hilariously, moments after saying it’s behaving the Novristch Nozzle ate the O ring from the Elite BBU. 

Ive installed the Elite Nozzle instead and a fresh O ring and it’s doing 245 -250 with 0.28’s and the hop set. 

Have to get another O-ring and Nozzle from Mike on my next order...

Mike couldn’t have been more helpful again and has dispatched another bag’o’bits my way.

Should be some big changes to both HiCapas next week. Some blingy bits should be arriving at work tomorrow but I’ve got a client visit halfway through the day. Knowing my luck they’ll try and deliver while I’m out!

Here  are my 3,

Top is a full on Mike Cripps build, based on his recommendations and a TM 5.1.  snappy, shoots very accurately, 340fps on Black, Virtually all internals are custom as is  Slide.  This is my Plinking gun
Middle is a medium Mike build, again based  on a TM 5.1. Barrel, Hop, Nozzle  upgraded. 80% of the  above for half its price. 330fps on  Black gas, Slide is original TM.  Notice the MantisX  unit , this is my dry fire training gun

Bottom  is 2 year old Novritsch SSP1 with cutaway slide and short stroke kit, all else is standard. Main Skirmish Side  arm, its survived, rain, mud and everything its been asked of. Reasonably accurate, loud, effective, reliable. 340fps on Black Gas and works well in the cold

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

11 hours ago, MadMole said:

Here  are my 3,

Mad mole, your collection looks sweet! I’m particularly fond of your Plinking gun!

Might seem like a daft question, any extra care needed when using black gas?

I’ve used green gas since buying a GBB from hobby stores in Camden in c.2002 and always assumed that was just the only choice. I’ve got some Guarder black gas on the way and didn’t know if I would have to add lubricant or anything.

Ali

Received a couple of parts for the SSP1, namely a non-dropping fluted outer barrel as a nod to the original part and a new recoil rod and plug.

Just waiting on a magwell and some Guarder gas to test the performance.

20FF9ABC-0FC5-4DEC-AD75-7E43DAA3A37D.jpeg

99ADBE01-6D39-4213-9909-2BED90FBAA0F.jpeg

073D465B-BACD-4428-BD0C-48E514B918D6.jpeg

Received a couple of parts for the SSP1, namely a non-dropping fluted outer barrel as a nod to the original part and a new recoil rod and plug.

Just waiting on a magwell and some Guarder gas to test the performance.

Update - Cycling nicely and reading 275fps with 0.28’s 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.