In Ear Active Hearing Protection and Comms - Racal Frontier Headsets

dykm2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

5 left.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi im wondering do you have any sets left? I had planned to have a go at converting a set myself but there seem to be none left on ebay.  Can you dm me so i can buy a set converted off of you?

• 2 weeks later...

Still 5 left. I've stopped selling on eBay due to their fees. I'm going to sell the last ones off on here or private sales.

When they're gone they're gone. Same as @The Jackal, my supply of new headsets has dried up.

On 13/06/2021 at 09:42, dykm2 said:

Still 5 left. I'm going to sell the last ones off on here or private sales.

Hey, do you still have any left? Sent you PM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 13:18, dykm2 said:
I've been lurking here a while, and I've had a lot of comments about these Racals, so I decided it's about time I actually joined and posted something (hopefully interesting to the community).

So I got fed up with breaking and fixing repro comms kit for myself and the team, (now on my 6th headset in 2 years playing).  But I didn't want to fork out £500 on peltor comtacs. I'm sure many of you can relate to this.

I found real steel Racal Frontier headsets being sold off dirt cheap. The catch being they come with a lemo connector for military prr radios. I read the threads on the lemo connectors and the price of adaptors and custom PTTs and thought what the heck, I'm going to have a go at modifying a set to work with a TP-120 / u-94 ptt.

So a bit of experimentation later, I figured out a tidy way of doing it.  I've done a few with with a Kenwood 2 pin cable to go straight into a Baofeng, retevis etc. radio.
I've also done a few with genuine peltor tp120 cables to go into a u94 PTT on your shoulder.

And I have to say, I'm dead chuffed with the results.

The custom ear moulds are made from polymorph plastic. It melts in hot water and is hand (or in-your-ear) mouldable.

The headsets are pretty slick. They electronically allow talk through, but limit the volume, the radio comes in your left ear and the cool bit is the microphone picks up from inside your right ear. Even at a whisper. I also like that there isn't a big can on your ear getting in the way of your cheek weld!

The set on my plate carrier is my first off. The ones with the curly cables are a later version where I've managed to do all the mods inside the control box so the cable is all intact right into the control box. 

Anyway there's my show and tell, I'd be interested to see what you guys think!

PS. The diagram in the background is a different project - Music phone and comms in my snowboard helmet ;) (don't try and put that in a Racal!)
PPS. If there's interest in these I'll put a post in the Classifieds.

122021195_10103840635308220_289119683764

PXL_20201003_131423122.thumb.jpg.8fd2b06ac53026e13b5fb3fedeeae910.jpg

122100197_10103840635383070_889156355452

121815527_10103840635552730_900700166629

PXL_20201029_221127266.thumb.jpg.94837c50c9e78e14c387626bb27db884.jpg

PXL_20201029_215839327.thumb.jpg.b3c58d5e650365bc62cd9769a3443f07.jpg

Do you still have any frontier left, I'm looking for the setup with the baufeng kenwood connector, would appreciate if you could make one up for me  and let me know how much it would be.. 👍🏻 😀 

11 minutes ago, Psycho-Wolfe said:

Do you still have any frontier left, I'm looking for the setup with the baufeng kenwood connector, would appreciate if you could make one up for me  and let me know how much it would be.. 👍🏻 😀 

Also want to add in a shoulder mounted PTT like your rig setup, as I've just got a Warrior DCS plate carrier.. Loving the set-up by the way.. 

On 13/06/2021 at 09:42, dykm2 said:

Still 5 left. I've stopped selling on eBay due to their fees. I'm going to sell the last ones off on here or private sales.

When they're gone they're gone. Same as @The Jackal, my supply of new headsets has dried up.

Do you still have any frontier left, I'm looking for the setup with the baufeng kenwood connector, would appreciate if you could make one up for me  and let me know how much it would be.. 👍🏻 😀 

Also want to add in a shoulder mounted PTT like your rig setup, as I've just got a Warrior DCS plate carrier.. Loving the set-up by the way.. 😎

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2021 at 10:42, dykm2 said:

Hi! I’m getting lots of background noise and hum when the headset is on, is that normal? 

• 5 months later...

@dykm2 I’ve stumbled across this and was wondering if you have any availability?

I totally understand it’s an old thread but if you don’t ask you don’t get lol

TIA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/08/2021 at 09:49, lipovskoy said:

Hi! I’m getting lots of background noise and hum when the headset is on, is that normal? 

The background noise is intentional, that's the pass through so you can hear your surroundings. 

Most sets have a slight hiss but not a hum.

It helps to have a really good seal in your ear.

To those asking, yes I have a few left but they are now make to order and will be a couple of weeks lead time.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For anyone who wants to know the socket i used to make a custom Lemo PTT is a:

LEMO EGG1B305CLL
Device socket, B series 1B, 5-pin

Bought from:

Reichelt in Germany but they don't ship to UK post Brexit.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.