In Ear Active Hearing Protection and Comms - Racal Frontier Headsets

dykm2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'll drop you a PM ( I dont want to upset the mods with sales in the wrong place on my first post!)

Really slick looking set up!

How is the clarity of the mic and any issues with feedback screech when people on the same frequency are near?

That’s super cool! Any chance you could drop us some samples of audio? I mean that whispering with in-ear microphone you’ve mentioned, how does it sound on the other end.

But I wouldn’t call lack of cans a pro... those ear shots hurt man! 😅

Audio sample attached, talking and whispering. (Yes I was in the garden, not behind the camera).

To answer the feedback / screech question:

Scenario 1 Racals transmitting, ambient mics ON, receiving radio on speaker. Yes you get feedback from 3-6ft ish (volume dependent)

Scenario 2 Racals transmitting, ambient mics OFF, receiving radio on speaker. Yes you get feedback from 6inches ish. (Volume dependent)

Scenario 3 Racals transmitting, ambient mics ON, receiving radio on headset. No feedback. Even when in contact.

Scenario 4 Racals transmitting, ambient mics OFF, receiving radio on headset. No feedback. Even when in contact

And as if to illustrate my point, the cable on one of my wosport headsets just died for the second time.

The tests were done with a working wosport headset on the receiving end.

Also @ziCk_ I get you. I started with a mesh and fabric lower face mask with ear protection, works well with in ear headsets.

Previously I had a bowman zip tied straight on the ear mesh which worked well but didn't offer hearing protection.

But the mesh mask didn't work well with over the ear headsets.

So I got a DM snood with mouth mesh. Thoroughly recommend them for use with cans.

Anyway I'm considering making a DM but with ear mesh as well as teeth mesh.... Next project.

@clumpyedge Indeed they do. (For anyone else who wants to know) JCI make a custom PTT called a tthg (Tim the heresy group) mod. Tim talks about it on his comms video on YT.  With that, you plug in an unmodified Racal headset.

I chose not to go that modified PTT route for a couple reasons.

1: The cost of the 5pin lemo female connectors is crackers.

2: I like to be able to plug my other headsets (or other people's headsets) into the same PTT for ease.

22 hours ago, dykm2 said:

Audio sample attached, talking and whispering.

Oh wow... hey it's me, your brother 😅

Er? Sorry I don't get it...?...

Really good idea with the in ear moulds, I have some of the heat mouldable plastic lying around from a previous project. What did you do to get a hole running through? Drill it or put something in it to keep it open? Also did you find the Racals could self tap their thread or did you need to mould them in too?

1 hour ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Really good idea with the in ear moulds, I have some of the heat mouldable plastic lying around from a previous project. What did you do to get a hole running through? Drill it or put something in it to keep it open? Also did you find the Racals could self tap their thread or did you need to mould them in too?

I put some heat shrink on the spigot to extend it, then test fitted in my ear to make sure it wasn't too long.

I then rolled a slug of hot polymorph, wound it around the spigot, avoiding the hole on the end and seated the whole thing in my ear. 

Once hardened, remove it and trim the excess heat shrink off.

I also tried proguard which is a 2 pack rubber for making earplugs. It moulded well, but didn't stick very well to the body of the Racal. You can wrap it around the body a bit to make it mechanically hold on.

Not sticking could be a plus if you think you want to remove it. 

I think the foam plugs and proguard give a better noise seal, but the polymorph is  cheaper to repeat so long as you pull it off before it fully hardens.

On 03/11/2020 at 08:47, clumpyedge said:

you can also get an AUX in made so you can listen to music etc.

I actually did this mostly for rendundency, field repairability and dual Comms. But yes aux in, out, shake it all about. Even while breaching. 😉

PXL_20201108_222107699.thumb.jpg.3e020add690c06d8d3d963f0e6112a18.jpg

Longer explanation. Here.

I see you're running budget Retevis radio, if you don't mind me asking how well these radios perform in CQB arenas? I know this might sound stupid but I've never ran a radio neither for airsoft nor anything else :P

They're surprisingly good and ideal for normal skirmish days. We chose them as the standard team radio for cost and simplicity. Most people aren't radio nerds, so a simple channel knob and volume knob makes it straight forwards.

I guess that's why the military PRR radios are similarly simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few people asking about Earmor / Realsteel NATO wired versions... So I made one...

Makes sense, I guess if you're interested in this you probably tried an Earmor and still have the PTT!

PXL_20201120_220849287.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight's evolution of the Racal saga...I ordered some radiator valves from Germany and as I got to checkout I realised, in my basket was the special lemo socket for the racals. Spookily I'd found them on that site weeks ago and decided the combined price with shipping from Germany was too much.

But not when you're already ordering other stuff!

So, a bit of CAD and 3d printing for an adaptor and presto. I've got a custom u94 PTT with a lemo socket!

PXL_20201209_235816577.jpg

Why Germany for rad valves.

We got plenty in this country.many types and styles and they are not expensive items really.

👍

Regards 

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread @dykm2.

Found the old listing through FB and eBay, what’s the chances of another batch of these? In the same dilemma of not wanting to spend several hundred quid in the event I don’t get on with running around with my Baofeng.

If so, how would I get on running my radio either on my belt or at the bottom of my chest rig? Any cable length issues?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 08:07, Shamal said:

Why Germany for rad valves.

We got plenty in this country.many types and styles and they are not expensive items really.

👍

Regards 

If you really what to know why I ordered valves from Germany vs UK: I wanted these specifically on a recommendation.  https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/electronic-radiator-thermostat-pack-of-four-eht-classic-n-s4-p150502.html

Electronic, programmable, not "smart" radiator stat heads that fit Drayton TRV4 valve bodies. I needed 12, so worth ordering from Germany. at £35 for 4 vs £15each on amazon.

On 31/01/2021 at 23:42, benno996 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread @dykm2.

Found the old listing through FB and eBay, what’s the chances of another batch of these? In the same dilemma of not wanting to spend several hundred quid in the event I don’t get on with running around with my Baofeng.

If so, how would I get on running my radio either on my belt or at the bottom of my chest rig? Any cable length issues?

Sorry I missed this.  Yes and no.  My supply of Racal headsets has now dried up. I bought the last case of them I could find and my supplier doesn't expect to get any more.  I have 10 unmodified headset left.

If you want 1, PM me and I'll build it up with your cable of choice, to order.

There's plenty of cable length with the curly cables to get any where sensible. Belt is fine, but no you can't tie your radio to your ankle!

• 1 month later...

9 left.

I'll post here when they run out. I'm only making to requests at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, still got 9 left. Not been much demand with lockdown and all!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.