Cunning or Cheating?

Enid_Puceflange

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 31/10/2020 at 11:33, Cr0-Magnon said:

What next though? Hiding your ARMBAND, because hey the marshal didn't say we COULDN'T!? 

Speak to every Ghillie suit sniper ever then.....

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I had it once where someone on the opposite team had been shot (I didn't know this) and rather than heading straight back to respawn they walked a few steps and set-up to roll a cigarette on a blue plastic drum. I couldn't really tell what they were doing but saw them standing casually and decided to send a round their way to test it. It connected and they threw their hands up in the air swearing their heads-off. It was hilarious. Same thing goes for people who look around to see who shot them rather than getting out of the way, as well as those who have been shot and walk in front of players on their team pushing forward...they're all fair game!

there is always an element of confusion, if your hand isn't up and you're walking back to your lines then it's reasonable to expect folk on your own team will be expecting the enemy to be coming towards them from that direction and will quite reasonably shoot at the first bush that twitches. hell this happened to me yesterday and was a clear-cut case of mistaken identity (he apologised, i took the mickey out of him for being an idiot, all was well and good)

as with all things in this game it's contextual, legit cases of accidents or mistaken identity aren't anything to get worked up about, it's only when folk are being especially ignorant or intentionally malicious that it can get aggravating.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I had it once where someone on the opposite team had been shot (I didn't know this) and rather than heading straight back to respawn they walked a few steps and set-up to roll a cigarette on a blue plastic drum. I couldn't really tell what they were doing but saw them standing casually and decided to send a round their way to test it. It connected and they threw their hands up in the air swearing their heads off 

Totally his own fault (deserved it just for smoking , vile habit😉) no that’s fair game if your doing things like that . I’m neither for or against the ‘Bang rule’ I’m more of a ‘you get the drop on the other player they either take it graciously and accept the other player got them good and proper or they try some matrix shit and get shot ! Had an incident at a game where I got the drop royally on a player where I had my AEG barrel literally touching his cheek . I said “I think you’ll take the walk ?” He looked at me and unbelievably slowly started to raise his shottie ! I just looked at him and said “are seriously going to do that?” At this point I was taken out by another player so the incident finished but when I went and spoke to a marshal to report this fool doing something that stupid his reply was “well you should have put a round in to him Then !” I looked at him and just turned and walked away thinking what’s the point , no way I’m shooting someone point blank in the face on purpose . AND before the forum hard men start with the “take the shot or don’t play !”crap if I had done that I do think I could have been opening my self up to a possible assault charge for doing it .

28 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

his reply was “well you should have put a round in to him Then !” I looked at him and just turned and walked away thinking what’s the point.

This does get my goat. At the same site I've seen Marshals mocking players for trying to use the bang rule, they've also had a go at people for shooting when they're too close.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

“well you should have put a round in to him Then !”

this is my normal response, but generally i'm aiming somewhere a little less sensitive.

last time i gave a bang kill it was that close, had the barrel of the makarov against the guys shoulder, although granted an 0.75j gun into a padded webbing strap is a totally different kettle of fish.

you did the right thing (annoying as i'm sure it was to go through), a little compassion for the poor sod on the recieving end goes a long way.

I think the bang rule can be used and should be used if you have the option. 

However, it should always be used in the situation where if the person you bang even flinches, you can just unload into them. 

I use it loads and only a very few times can I remember them trying to be smart and well.. failing... Followed by their instant regret. 

• 1 month later...

Sometimes it impractical for players to keep their hands up in the air if terrain is uneven and their hand is needed to support them safely crossing the field back to spawn so if loads started doing this honest dead players would be the only ones done over.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Hamisakim said:

Why aren't dead rags more of a thing? 

Good question.

The reason i dont run one is because when i've tried in the past people still just shot me because they didnt know what a dead rag was.

But thats a problem that can be easily solved by the site pointing it out.

1 hour ago, daltonwilliams said:

Sometimes it impractical for players to keep their hands up in the air if terrain is uneven and their hand is needed to support them safely crossing the field back to spawn so if loads started doing this honest dead players would be the only ones done over.

36 minutes ago, Hamisakim said:

Why aren't dead rags more of a thing? 

I was about to mention dead rags.

Legitimate non aggressive ‘dead man walking’ is a valid tactic.

Cheating at faking by raising your hand etc to bypass and then appearing alive is not.

There is the standard signal for dead players, which is a raised hand.  We all drop our hands when going for some distance but can reasonably raise it or call ‘dead player’ when passing others etc.   If there is a need to climb obstacles, jump river beds etc then there’s time to challenge the non aggressive player rather than gun them down

Dead rags are an established option, not so regular here so don’t seem to be well known and not everyone will have them or want to buy them.

(Funny that as a paintballer who remains unfamiliar with all the rules and terms of airsoft knows about dead rags but many airsofters don’t)

A site can stock up on a length of cheap fabric and chop up some rags - and tell players the rules. It’s hardly rocket science and would solve the majority of issues I’ve seen in games due to different players assuming different rules 

There are often common indicators showing the difference between a dead player and a non aggressive player.  People don’t pay attention to the non agressive player.

In the same game once in Drakelow tunnels I was the Gabriel, head of the fallen angels and wearing black wings, with respawn in the centre. 
In one game I was able to stroll past the opposition, all the way to a lit up tunnel, into the unattended respawn, steal ‘lost souls’ that had been collected and walk back out.

After switching ends I tried to walk in again in a dark respawn area and gained a swollen forehead and mild concussion for my cheekiness once someone noticed my wings being lit up behind from a few feet away. (I was also approaching very suspiciously - tucked to the side of the wall, trying to hide my glow stick, had my gun at a low ‘ready’ etc)

Dead rags show a player is out of the game, other options if you have a well managed and enforced arm band system the dead players can be shown by removing their armband (or ideally armbands on both arms)

By default I allow dead man walking when writing event rules, and both in the game pack and morning brief.  Though there are times that I don’t permit it, due to the game format, field layout etc 

My dead rag is a cheap red t-shirt from Primark that i've torn up to make a few. 

At the last game I went to i think I was the only person who had any resemblance of a dead rag.

It should become more common as i think it would help alot with overshooting and people complaining about being shot when they lollygag on the walk back to respawn.

Are dead rags more of a mil/battlesim/ usa thing? I have never been to a site that has mentioned them, it has always been explicit hand up and/or deadman walking - it was quiet clear in the briefing that if you didnt have hand up/ were calling or hand hands on weapons in any form of 'ready'  and you got shot it was your own fault. 

They encouraged not mag dumping on players that might be dead, double tap is fine. 

As @Tommikka mentioned, if you can be sneaky, do that. Any use of dead player markers is cheating.

if no hand up or even remotely up, then I'll take one shot at them (aim at plate carrier, somewhere you'll hear it at least I'm not being a dick if they are already dead) if they are dead already its a gentle reminder to put their hand up, if they are trying to be sneaky then I've got them.  

7 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

I can't see a disadvantage to them; very black and white.

Err red lol

Regards 

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Shane0040 said:

its airsoft if u get the drop on someone ,shoot them ,end of

Not necessarily - you get the drop on a group and shoot then you get one of them before the rest hear your AEG motor kick in, or just the shooting.

Tap your hand on a shoulder and you can get two or three pretty easily, more if everyone’s looking the other way.

If I create a mission to capture and return an object, you sneak your way around behind the lines, spot the object with a group ‘defending’ it who are paying no attention as they hear the firefights far away.  Tap a couple of shoulders and you can pick it up and walk back the way you came, fire one shot and you’ve wasted all

your effort 

On 01/11/2020 at 05:47, Adolf Hamster said:

as a general rule if my hand isn't up i try not to get too annoyed if i get winged, shit happens after all and i have twitch shot folks walking back without hands up (with appropriate apologies issued of course)

dead rags wouldn't be a bad idea, i have a couple but never really used them because nobody seems to understand the concept here.

Yep dead rags work well specially if their bright hi-vis, orange is a good colour that pops.

1 hour ago, Sema Dragun said:

Yep dead rags work well specially if their bright hi-vis, orange is a good colour that pops.

Dead rags are normally red, like blood red

are you thinking of wearing a Marshall’s high viz vest? That’d help to stop you getting fired at 😂

• Supporters

Personally ? I think when you come down to it in the end there’s always going to be a high risk you’ll still get shot no matter WHAT you do to try and advertise your a ‘deadman walking’ your always going to have the “there’s movement over there , not got a clue what side there on or if there in play or not But I’ll still open fire on them just in case” players , and the “it’s only a BB gun man up and take it you pussy !” Players on the field so it’s gonna happen . Say’la’vie !🤦‍♂️

I think a flashing orange light should be attached to your swede and activated to signify you are hit. Like the ones on the motorway diggers.They can be seen for freakin' miles.💡

No misunderstanding here marshall.

😉👍

Regards 

7 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Dead rags are normally red, like blood red

are you thinking of wearing a Marshall’s high viz vest? That’d help to stop you getting fired at 😂

No not a marshals vest, blood red can be really hard to see sometimes, high-vis orange simply stands out, have played with those before.

Ha ha what a hi-vis ghillie suit is a bad idea? :D

• 1 month later...

Is this the reason I got peppered several times whilst having one hand in the air (holding my gun aloft) and walking back to spawn? This sport is based on honesty. If you're going to use tactics like this. Expect other players to not beleive you and keep shooting till you leave the play area. As you can guess... I'm absolutely against this type of thing and if the site allowed it. I would find another site. Its killing the sport for others.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.