My Son and Me

Robo82

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Oh man, what an idea. I’m sure the first time you go to a game you’ll realise how friendly the airsoft community is. The only way you’ll find out is going and giving it a go! 

If my dad stuck around I would’ve loved to go with him and from the sounds of things your son is  a lucky boy to have a bloke who’s willing to go n get wet, muddy and sling some plastic balls at some sweaty nerds! (Like me) It’s all good fun. I’m not super experienced like some guys on here but I can safely say I can’t wait until my daughters old enough to the point where (hopefully) she wants to give it a go! Props to you mate!

8 minutes ago, Robo82 said:

Hi I'm not even brand new to the sport, I’ve never even held an Airsoft weapon.  However, I have an 11 year old son who is obsessed With the idea of starting Airsoft.

My son is someone who has struggled with traditional sports, he’s autistic and struggles with making friends, so I’m basically his best mate and one of his only friends.  I’d love to start a sport with him where we can collect things and be outdoors together as well as encouraging team work etc.

We’re just north of London and I’ve found a place in Milton Keynes which allow under 12’s to play.  Is Airsoft something that the more experienced among you would recommend for myself and son?

Thanks!

Hi @Robo82

welcome to the group🙂

I can only see that it would be a good move for you both.

My grandson aged 6 is autistic and enjoys archery and anything he can focus on just so.long as it is explained clearly and logically.

Autistic children are very quick at grasping how things work by watching and become very involved by going 'hands on'.

I would say go for it. You are both gonna get something from it. Bruises mainly lol.

No only joking but do make sure he is well covered up. 

Let us know how you get on

Regards 

Hi @Robo82! 👋

Welcome to the forum, I agree with @RonLancs! 😎👍

Give it a try, hope you both have a Great 1st time and continue in this activity! 🔫

Make sure to put it up here, how it goes.... 🤞👍

Be safe and be the Best Dad to him, lucky boy, massive respect to you! 😎👍

Also been making videos during the Lockdown, aimed for beginners, if it helps, check it out? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

Also Massive Respect to those that show support on this topic!!!! 🔫😎👍

@Alpha Wolf

💷GAMBLE💷

• Head Moderator

Welcome :)

As long as there are no behavioural issues (anger management when being hit by BBs) then it should be all good. Airsoft is generally a friendly community and inclusive. Take your hits, and be sportsman like regardless of anyone else. Have fun.

Hi,

great idea, airsoft is generally a very inclusive sport. I'm sure you will both be made very welcome , go along ask to be put on the same team so you can develop a play style that suits you and just have fun. I've got a couple of mates who's kids play too and its great dad and kids time.

Do let us know hou you both get on .

• Supporters

11 is a tiny bit young to play together with grown ups

Think most sites say 13+ to play with older/adult players

But I remember taking my 14y old to a u16 site once

He preferred to play with older players in the end

So there might be sites/games where u16's play

Or you might have to wait till he is 13 to play together

This info could be out of date and we are going into lockdown again it seems so take the above with a pinch of salt until you check what local sites are offering near you

Now - in the meantime, if you have a garden you can probably do some back garden plinking target practice if you are careful. Here you can purchase a cheap 2-tone starter gun and closely supervise him getting his feet wet with Airsoft - first read up on basic common sense safety & eye protection yourself of course

Spend some time with him plinking in the garden to see how he gets on, then with time you can make the decision if you both visit a site etc... when things settle down

Depending on how severe, or how much he is on the spectrum, you will know of he can play OK on his own in a young group or you both together at some point

Explain the situation maybe to a good local site, as there might be times where you get hit and have to leave the field/respawn where perhaps it might be wise if you BOTH call HIT and respawn together

But I'm sure when the time is right it will be an ideal opportunity for him to mix with others on his own for short periods of time - which will extend as time goes on

Apologies if your son is very mildly on spectrum, I'm sure you will both enjoy it - just covering some bases & possible examples where as a parent of an autistic child you will need patience, sometimes quite a bit of patience indeed

I'm with Sitting Duck on this one.

Airsoft is great for father-son bonding but I think 11 might be a bit young to start and that's not taking into account any behavioural issues.

It can get very intense when taking fire and players can get quite aggressive with attacks.  Not physical but running at you and shooting at you.

Adrenaline does get high and being shot at closer ranges can sting a bit for a kid and you don't want him to have a bad experience early on.

I think it would be better to get some guns to do some target practice in the garden together and maybe go to a game when he's nearer 13 or so.

I took my son when he was 14 and he loved it.  We still go to games together now he's near 16

• Supporters

My son was younger, probably 9 or 10 ? (23 now), & I took him to sites where I knew the organisers well & the clientele was good, all on the understanding with the organisers that he had to stick with me & was 100% my responsibility, never ever had any issues, only time I had to step up was when a scenario included secret documents possibly carried by players & someone didn't want to take his word that he wasn't carrying any & wanted to search him, you can imagine how that conversation went 😏

While I don't think your lad is too young, definitely consider the site your going to carefully, speak to the organisers & definitely have a safe controlled play around at home in the garden or other suitable location to ensure he's ok with being shot etc, & FFS make sure he's well covered up, mums tend to go apeshit if their little chocolate soldiers come back marked etc, that'll end your life faster than covid 🤣

Welcome to the forum mate.

I can relate as my youngest has Autism too, tho he is quiet placid and laid back, still struggles with social gatherings, especially when loud noises are involved, I'm hoping when he is old enough that I can do something similar to acclimatise him.

Airsoft is quite welcoming of new players and as @Sitting Duck says, if you can explain this to the guys that run the sites/marshalls, they might find a way of getting you both to enjoy it without feeling isolated or left out.

I'd also recommend you both hire your kit (if its available due to covid restrictions) because you don't wanna fork out items if you find either of you don't like the sport, you might just have to buy your face/eye protection seperately (again due to covid) and just make sure you have some suitable footwear (walking/hiking boots or boots with ankle support)

Might be worth checking out @GAMBLE's videos, such as this one:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.