do those electric drum mags work??

tattoo ron
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

as per title really,do the electric drum mags work,whats your feedbacks on em, pros and cons..

cheers in advance..

• Supporters

The sound-activated ones work-ish, it depends but last time I used one, it was a bit picky (they may have improved since then).

The button activated ones work fine, but it's best I've found if you find a way to rig a switch so that the mag winds when the trigger is pulled (I used a small ptms switch with a lever arm for my old RPK's drum mag).

The metal ones are MUCH nicer than the plastic ones for the AK, but for M4's, G36's etc, the plastic ones are fine.

Pros:

-Lots of ammo capacity

-Allows you to turn any AEG into a support weapon, with none of the extra weight

-Don't worry about changing mags in the middle of a firefight

-Tend to be easy to load; simply pour the bb's in, usually into a huge opening, less spillage

-Some people worry when they see a souped up AK with a drum mag, and some nutter walking along beside them grinning whilst pressing the wind button...It's nice to be feared :D

-If you shoot conservatively, you wont have to reload all day

-Don't need to bother with speedloaders

-You'll only ever carry one, no real need for mag pouches or webbing, ideal for lightweight loadouts

Cons:

-You'll use a lot of ammo, expensive

-You'll also, consequentially drain batteries more

-The resultant firing will probably strain your gearbox more

-If you have a drum mag, you WILL hose more, so the above issues will occur

-Some sites don't like you to use a drum mag unless you've got a proper support weapon, I.e. one that needs to be deployed on a bipod

-Some people don't like being hosed, and they usually think it was the guy with the drum mag who hosed them, even if they don't

-Not milsim friendly, exceptions obviously being proper support weapons (that said, the G36 and G3, though rifles, do have MG variants)

That's all I can think of. Take it from me though, they're good to start with, but once you've hosed for a bit, you'll slowly realise that you get as many kills and as much success with midcaps or lowcaps and that actually, those kills where you didn't hose, and you actually picked your target, got into range and took a well placed shot are so much better...(You could still make a well placed shot with a drum mag, but generally, people just use them to hose). If you want one, try it, the only way you'll really find out if it works for you, is to try :)

They CAN be used quite nicely in some scenarios. I used to go out with my AK using midcaps, but on the way out of our spawn, I'd drop a satchel with a drum mag in at our defense point. If the enemy pushed us back as far as we could go, I'd switch out so I could lay down a lot of fire fast to give my team some extra support.

Hope that helps!

• Supporters
but he forgot the biggest issue, is how gay and sad you look with a box mag :P

This is what I was gonna say.

Yes they probably do work, yes they are more practical, but they look ridiculous.

For the same price you could buy a box of mid caps

ah, right lads, cheers for headsup, (and i dont think ill have a prob at a skirmish calling me gay) but its worth a note...just wondered as been offered a cheap one....

Archived