Umarex Glock 17 Gen 5 Reliability Issue

Octoroc

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a Umarex Glock 17 Gen 5 gas blow back pistol. It came with a Gen 5 magazine and I bought two Umarex Gen 4 magazines to go along with it. Im using H&K Power Gas and ASG Cursed 6mm 0.25g BBs. The slide was painted by the distributor as per UK law/my request. I’m strictly a garage target shooter.

Since day one I’ve had failures. The pistol only projects a BB every second trigger pull but gas is clearly being released and the slide cycles on every trigger pull. This is an intermittent problem that gets worse with use. By the time I’ve gone through 3 magazines I’m lucky to get the pistol to shoot at all.

I’ve attached a video that shows the issue.

Some of the time a BB feeds into the chamber but fails to fire, only for two BBS to be projected on the second trigger pull. Sometimes (much less often) I get a failure to feed and there’s no BB in the chamber after the slide cycles.

I’m aware of compatibility issues with the Gen 4 magazines and my Gen 5 Glock. My understanding is the geometry means they don’t always seat quite as well as the Gen 5 magazines which can sometimes result in the slide failing to seat properly. I found this to be true for both Gen 4 and Gen 5 magazines with my pistol. The problems I’m having are as bad with both Gen 4 and Gen 5 magazines.

I contacted my supplier. They were good enough to have my pistol collected and to take a look at it. It took a long time but eventually they told me “the inside of the slide was saturated in oils Im assuming from the factory which was causing the issues.” When I got it back the pistol cycled 15 shots without a hitch. A miracle! Then I had a failure to fire (I’m not sure what the issue was in this instance). After that it was back to its old ways as described above.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

It doesn’t have to be the most accurate, the fastest, or most powerful. All I want is to be able to reliably do pistol drills at 10m. I have a £15 springer that is more fun to use because I know every time I pull the trigger I’m going to put a hole through my paper.

It’s a VFC. Unfortunately, their QC appears to be patchy at best, not even on a par with WE lately.

Doesn't help you much, but I’d be inclined to send it back and buy a TM, sorry

3 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

It’s a VFC. Unfortunately, their QC appears to be patchy at best, not even on a par with WE lately.

Thanks @rocketdogbert it’s an option that’s on the table for sure.

Any thoughts about the specific issues I am having in particular, or about the assessment that the pistol was over oiled?

15 minutes ago, Octoroc said:

Thanks @rocketdogbert it’s an option that’s on the table for sure.

Any thoughts about the specific issues I am having in particular, or about the assessment that the pistol was over oiled?

Like I said, poor QC. I think if the gun was having issues from being over-oiled, there is a combination of poor tolerances, exacerbated by it being stripped and painted.
I know people wax lyrical about Umarex Glocks, but they really aren’t very good in my experience. Send it back again.

Normally, if the nozzle doesn’t pick up a bb in a Glock, it’s because the bbu is hanging on the hammer assembly, but every second bb sounds more like a mag problem. Why do you think the gen4 mags aren't compatible, have you physically inspected them to see what the differences are, or try loading different amounts?

Honestly though, I’d send the pistol back

12 hours ago, Octoroc said:

What sort of temperatures are you shooting in? I have an Umarex Glock 19X and I've always been amazed how well it performs when I've shot indoors at home or briefly in the garden. However I used it last Saturday and noticed the same issue once it was properly cold. The slide moved back every time but it only racked a BB every second shot.

1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

What sort of temperatures are you shooting in? I have an Umarex Glock 19X and I've always been amazed how well it performs when I've shot indoors at home or briefly in the garden. However I used it last Saturday and noticed the same issue once it was properly cold. The slide moved back every time but it only racked a BB every second shot.

I’m shooting inside a garage. It’s been the same no matter what the temperature including hot days this summer.

I’ve ordered some different gas to try. See if that helps.

11 minutes ago, Octoroc said:

I’m shooting inside a garage. It’s been the same no matter what the temperature including hot days this summer.

I’ve ordered some different gas to try. See if that helps.

Wondering if it might even be the opposite issue, the gas being too powerful. I use Nuprol 2.0 as a baseline and go from there.

File the feed lips a little to make a circle in the middle. will let the BB's sit a fraction higher andn centered. Common issue on Mk23 and Hi-capa's as well

Brief update:

I was using Heckler & Koch Power Gas. I've just spent the last two days using ASG Ultrair and I haven't had a single issue.

The pistol is running exactly as I would hope with all three magazines. No failures to feed and no failures to fire so far. I've put maybe 200 BBs through it so I've still got a lot of testing to do before I let myself get too excited, but it's looking good.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

@Cr0-Magnon I'm still shooting in the garage in relatively comfortable temperatures but maybe try experimenting with other gases your 19x?

• 5 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread,

Did you ever find a fix or diagnose what was causing the misfeed issue?

Edited by Callsign.Raptor_

On 26/10/2020 at 18:33, rocketdogbert said:

I would buy a WE Glock over a VFC any day.

In fact I did.

• 7 months later...
On 19/04/2021 at 15:23, Comicbook hero said:

Raptor, I have a VFC 19X and tried it on some Abbey gas. It didn’t like it a bit. I run it on Nuprol Red in the cold and it works a treat. No issues with feeding or consistency. 

CBH 

Hi I have the same issue with my 19x, yes it was cold yesterday but the gun wouldn't fire bbs out every trigger pull using Abbey Red.. though the slide cycles. Pretty disappointing as it can't be depended on. Seems like its the gas then? I'll give Nuprol Red a go, thanks.

Edited by Scorp

Americans can only buy the Umarex licensed Glocks. The WE G series cannot be imported. But some Americans get round this by importing privately.

We don't have that problem here.

People who buy the Umarex usually do it for the trades. People who buy the WE do it because it is inexpensive, reliable, and, unlike the VFC, a clone of the TM. It also has parts availability second to none.

If you can't live with the plastic of the TM Glocks, and don't want to upgrade parts, the WE is the best buy of the pot metal ones.

On 28/11/2021 at 09:43, Scorp said:

Hi I have the same issue with my 19x, yes it was cold yesterday but the gun wouldn't fire bbs out every trigger pull using Abbey Red.. though the slide cycles. Pretty disappointing as it can't be depended on. Seems like its the gas then? I'll give Nuprol Red a go, thanks.

Run its on propane. Works a treat. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-propane-disposable-gas-cylinder-400g/71092?tc=ST5&ds_kid=92700055262507126&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZKNBhDiARIsAPsk0Wgja2gUcVMaUC8x1JG7Ok-2utYqP9UeTQQafyGXid9HenW6nk_FSHIaAn6-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get an adapter of Ali for about £9

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will help anyone as it is a old thread. 

this “issue” is not unique to umarex/VFC GLOCKS, in fact it can happens on any GBB that has a similar rocket valve system. 

what happens is when a bb is in the chamber, the back pressure from the BB is pushing back the rocket valve too much that it won’t cycle the slide enough the load the next round, and when the hop is empty, there is no back pressure, it will cycle properly and load the next round. That’s why it only fires every other round. 

so the solution is to release more gas to create enough pressure to cycle the slide and overcome the back pressure. 

1. Stronger gas 

2. stronger hammer spring

3. trim the rocket valve spring coil by coil. 
4. My personal favorite, unscrew the release valve on your mag to just before it starts leaking. 

and on umarex Glocks, what you can do is just use WE mag( but with TM or VFC gas router). 
or use WE release valve on the original mag. 

hope this helps someone. 

• 1 year later...
On 29/11/2021 at 10:43, Groot said:

Hi can you post the link for the adapter? Also do i need to change anything on the magazines? 

Thanks and sorry for reviving such a old post.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.