Joule Creep and Ammo Weight

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

My Gspec has all the upgrades but with stock barrel and an M150 spring. 

On 0.2 it kicks out a very respectable 460fps and is consistent within 3 fps each shot. Very happy with that. 

As of the weekend, everything inside the cylinder that matters, piston and spring are brand spanking new and have had their first lube applied. 

With the .45 geoffs bbs, it was between 3 and 6 fps over the limit. ( FUCK ME THAT IS ANNOYING ) 

Now the question is. If i went heavier. Will that increase the creep or reduce it? 

Yes, its heavier so in theory more creep.... but i will need to apply more hop to spin, it which will add more friction ( my logical brain says )

I really do not want to shave the spring, its so perfect. I guess I could get a spring guide without a bearing maybe.. 

But the first thing will be to see if i can get an ammo weigh that fixes the issue

All advice welcome

Cheers

Has the spring had much use? If it isn't already, once it's bedded in you'd probably loose those few FPS you were over wouldn't you?

What other internals have you got out of interest? I'm sure I've got an M150 spring in my G Spec. Just trying to learn.

* I may be wrong but I'd rather comment and be told i'm wrong than to keep my opinions to myself and not know if I'm right!

***EDIT, I got the spring power wrong :P**

Spring is brand spanking 10 shots new. I kind of hope that is the case but if i cannot use it at a site, its going to be hard to give enough abuse to drop it :P

It has PSS Teflon Cylinder and guide.
Jackson Precision m150 Spring,
Airsoft Pro lightweight 90' piston
JK Airsoft Zero trigger.
Action Army Hop
Stock inner barrel

• Supporters

Its a tricky one for bolties.

Whats happening (at least what i suspect is happening so take it with a pinch of salt) is that the inertia of the heavier piston slows it down more than the backpressure from the ammo.

Ie when firing a .2g the piston wont close any faster than when firing a .4g because the weight of the piston itself is the driving factor.

This is ofc assuming that there is a reasonable weight to the piston compared to say and aeg where folk tend to want the pistons as light as possible to prevent pme.

So its possible it might only creep up to a point until the bolt closing speed is faster than the bb moving hence it'll not creep so much.

Yes applying more hop is going to drop a little energy, how much depends on the hop setup (the better the hop the less energy is being lost to get good enough spin) so it might not be enough to help.

Tl:dr is probably best to check the weight you wanna use and start trimming coils.

Do you have any damper pads installed on the cylinder head? 

If not, give them a try as an alternative? 

If it's anything like mine, the slightly reduced cylinder volume might be enough to drop the creep enough to be usable (and as a bonus, Should reduce the noise too). 

My VSR was putting out a little over 2.3 joules on 0.45s before installation, but now runs at just over 2.1 joules. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.