Worst / Most Disappointing RIF Purchase?

RonLancs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I can't for the life of me remember the brand because this was between 10 and 15 years ago, but on an impulse I picked up a (what was then) fancy springer Dragunov from the old ASCUK forums (is that a swear word in these parts?). Looked lovely but felt ropey and performed awfully, capped off by the hop rubber tearing halfway through my first game using it. Promptly replaced the hop rubber and sold it on.

Honestly, my first RIF - G&P M4 of some kind, KAC RIS etc - think it was a CQBR. By all accounts G&P were meant to be great back in 2011, when I bought it - but the external quality was poor for me, a retaining pin cracked and fell out pretty quickly, wobbly receiver and the hop was fucking awful - could barely hop .2s out of the box. Being stupid, lazy and new to the sport (Now I'm just stupid and lazy), I didn't really do anything to fix it and gave it away shortly thereafter

Yea the E-12 I found to be really poor build quality. We all know the Orion gear box is not the best really poor finish, bad air seals and the shim job was sub-par. It’s really put me off the Specna edge range. 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

Yea the E-12 I found to be really poor build quality. We all know the Orion gear box is not the best really poor finish, bad air seals and the shim job was sub-par. It’s really put me off the Specna edge range. 

Sorry to hear that.  From what we've heard here, Specna pulled a bait-and-switch on the Edge range and the quality plummeted. Poor bloody show, no better than Nuprol or Novritsch.

This is going to sound churlish, but I was disappointed by my £35 CYMA CM.351 plastic tri-shot.  First, it had a weird multi-feed problem, then after copious squirts of silicone it settled down, but the hop is all over the place.  Two of the barrels seem to have no hop, and the top one has a fixed hop that over-lifts 0.25g but under-lifts 0.28g.  So at anywhere but point blank range, you have to decide whether to waste 1 out of 3, or 2 out of 3 BBs.  Practically speaking, you're talking about maybe 6 or 7 metres range.  Oh, you'll see claims of 30m+ in reviews, but those are airsoft metres against a static target that's not shooting back.

I have an ASG Franchi with no hop on any barrel that's actually more usable because it's consistent and you know that you have to lift-and-lob, rather than trying to work out where the one hopped BB might end up.

The CYMA isn't bad, I'm just annoyed at myself for believing the usual airsoft fantasy reviews.

• Supporters

gotta be the lct.

it's not that it was a bad gun per-se, just that it very much failed completely to live up to the expectations i had based on their reputation (or at least their reputation as i understood it) and especially considering the price of them now.

that or every co2 pistol i've come across, if there's a knack to getting them to last more than a few games without the mag deciding it wants a complete rebuild before it'll hold gas again then i'd like to hear it, all the usual tricks of a bit of silicon, leave the cartridge in, take the cartridge out etc didn't do anything.

edit: forgot, or possibly blanked from my memory: the WE luger, couldn't make it through a full mag and had if i'm being generous no hop unit and if i'm not an anti-hop unit.

Ares AM009.

With the money I've spent on that thing I could've easily bought a MTW. Fucks sake I still have nightmares about it when I crack open a new gun :(

8 hours ago, RonLancs said:

Specna E-12

You see? The problem is in the E.

Anything by WE. I know WE lovers will be going "my WE is the best GNU ever!" but really it isn't. Their heart is in the right place but the gas efficiency is just terrible. Let's not talk about their Gas M4 mags. My shower head has less leaks.

Star/Ares. I love Star/Ares for the fact that they put out some really obscure AEG's. It's a shame they fill them with playdoh instead of a gearbox and hop unit. Their design choices are a bit strange at times (I'm talking to you M3 grease gun with a battery in every magazine).

I'd happily buy another Ares AEG (got one arriving today in fact) and I can probably get it working ok'ish but you couldn't give me a WE product now.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

G&G DSG FireHawk HC05 - only to find out it was full auto only

That one is weird.  How much of the semi mechanism is missing, i.e. how much would you need to change in order to get semi?

• Supporters

My first pistol a we hi cappa (one of the half slide ones) .... terrible gas efficiency 

g&g fire hawk .... way to noisy 

CSI XR5 .... zero ... yes zero lube in mech box, really hard to take apart as well

most bolt action spring sniper rifles ... arm ache!

spring shotties ... same as above

Specna E10... I fell for the swish advertising speil.

Gearbox was dry as a nuns c*%#, shimming was non existent, bearing housing cracked and failed catastrophically which deformed one side of the gearbox, rough cylinder hole sliced the piston head O-ring in two. That Orion gearbox is junk

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Arwen said:

sounded like a rough ducati

That's a feature, each one gets a spanner ceremonially dropped into the crankcase as they leave the factory.  The dodgy fuelling is done with a special RNG chip in the brainbox these days though, rather than pre-clogged idle jets.

For me it is when i love the look of a replica but the ergonomy does not work, Steyr Aug, i like bullpup, fn 2000 and p90 but sold the aug after two games, and the svd dragunov, it is 1m20 and i am 1m70 so really to bulky for me.

Classic Army Sports line P90. it was cheapish but not cheap enough to make up for the terrible plastic body( one of the front sight blades snapped off), the range was garbage and the gear box was twangy as hell.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

At least the WE luger it is possible to actually shoot 6 shots consecutively if the planets align.

If its a hot summers day, your running it in black gas and you split it over 2 magazines :P

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

If its a hot summers day, your running it in black gas and you split it over 2 magazines :P

Never has more truth been spoken on the forum.

Another one. I think again is worse than the WE luger.

The A&K winchester, they took a marushin design, made it worse, made it from the worst quality chinesium available, made them all on a friday afternoon and finished them off with wood that was rejected by IKEA.

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

KWA LM4. Bought one after obsessively watching @TheFull9's videos on YouTube when I was younger (No blame apportioned!)

I could never get that running properly, must have got an absolute lemon.

Oh dear, lol.  Yeah my two just run it has to be said and one of them has been so extensively modded and messed with it's almost impossible to tell what it was originally, still functions fairly nicely though.  The full steel internals they come with aren't bad at all, at least on mine, pretty well designed in terms of adjusting AR fire control parts to an airsoft gun.  Wouldn't recommend them now that the TM and GHK are around but I got mine before those were released and well established (after years of super disappointment with the G&P WOCs) and they're more customisation project pieces that can be used indoors and not be out-gunned, rather than 'play in the woods 3 times a month for years' type deals.

Mine would be the aforementioned G&Ps GBBRs and even worse the hundreds and hundreds of £ I spent on mags for them, none of which ever held gas.  My old VFC Glock 17s and M&Ps (pre Glock licensing era) are all also shit and made me realise just how crazy good TM handguns actually are.

My 1st gen Scorpion Evo is slightly disappointing it must be said, between the do-what-they-want ambi selectors and difficulty fitting batteries; at least at first.  It's not a bad gun by any means it was just so hyped and I got so excited for the bolt-lock feature and external quality that no matter how good it was it couldn't have ever lived up to what I was expecting from it in my own mind.  I'd like to hope the selectors are better on current production guns.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, mightyjebus said:

Anything by WE. I know WE lovers will be going "my WE is the best GNU ever!" but really it isn't. Their heart is in the right place but the gas efficiency is just terrible. Let's not talk about their Gas M4 mags. My shower head has less leaks.

i'd love a gkh or tm dragonuv, but they don't exist.....

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.