Tips for a Newbie Sniper

Spartan09

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys,  probably a stupid question, but as the title suggests, i am looking for any tips to help me perform as a better sniper.

i know about ghillie suits, however im not going to invest in one just yet.

i normally play as an assault/ rifleman role,  but i am looking to be able to carry out sniper support roles at some of the sites i play at.
my sniper rifle is the ARES WA2000 that is unmodified (yet) and currently shooting valkyrie .32g bbs (but will probably look at heavier bbs once the rifle is bedded in or valkyrie release heavier bbs)

im looking for any tips regarding loadout, modifications i can do to my rifle etc.  also wondering if it would be worth investing in a rangefinder, or would it be a waste of time/money

Learn your rifle of choice inside and outside, and take note of what it is and isn't capable of. Over expectations lead to frustration, frustration lead to not enjoying it. As a sidenote, don't force yourself to play that way if you're not enjoying it on the day, there is no 'shame' in swapping over to an AEG/GBB/HPA RIF if you're not feeling it.

Best advice I can give when it comes to load bearing is work out how you find yourself playing. I use a chest rig because I don't spend much time prone, if you're prone a lot a chest rig can get uncomfortable... in which case a 'battle belt'/yoke or smersh setup is likely a much better fit. Just use whatever works for carrying what you want to carry and is comfortable, there is no 'right' answer.

Ghillie/leaf suits are great fun if you want to put the time into them, but they can be a real leech on your time and very much an optional extra. If you want a bit more concealment it's worth taking a look at your surroundings when you're playing, and then using that information to look at camo patterns. There are a lot of fancy ones out there these days, but flecktarn and DPM are great choices in most UK woodland (they shouldn't break the bank either). As another optional, I'd struggle to cope without some form of kneepads.

Make sure you have a good, reliable sidearm. When you're dealing with MED (minimum engagement distances) due to the extra power you're kicking out of your rifle you'll need to make sure you've got something to cover the space when folks are too close.

Lastly, but most importantly, make sure you're having fun.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

ARES WA2000

Do nothing to it.  I'd try sample bags of Geoff's BBs.  Then use the highest weight that it will reliably hop.

Maybe use binoculars or a monocle to spot targets, then pew at them.  Find a simp with an AEG who is willing to spot for you. I would.

Whatever your results, be proud of them.

Bring a rusty chain to thrash at the spergs who will swarm you in the safe zone to tell you about how they almost bought a WA2000, but didn't because [blah blah blah].

As already mentioned, get to know your rifle's limits or you'll easily get frustrated and annoyed with it. Just think how many newbies buy a boltie, only ending up trying to sell it a few months later. 

49 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Guillie/leaf suits are great fun if you want to put the time into them, but they can be a real leech on your time and very much an optional extra. If you want a bit more concealment it's worth taking a look at your surroundings when you're playing, and then using that information to look at camo patterns. There are a lot of fancy ones out there these days, but flecktarn and DPM are great choices in most UK woodland (they shouldn't break the bank either).

This. Field craft is far more important than looking like a walking bush

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

This. Field craft is far more important than looking like a walking bush

if you know your stuff you can be wearing plain olive and dissappear the moment you walk into a bush.

i wouldn't beleive it if i hadn't seen (or more correctly not) seen it happen....

2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

Learn your rifle of choice inside and outside, and take note of what it is and isn't capable of. Over expectations lead to frustration, frustration lead to not enjoying it. 

only fielded my rifle twice, so still trying to work out its range limits.   

Make sure you have a good, reliable sidearm. When you're dealing with MED (minimum engagement distances) due to the extra power you're kicking out of your rifle you'll need to make sure you've got something to cover the space when folks are too close.

i regularly carry my john wick hi cappa as a sidearm,  but if i can find a decent sling to carry it on my back, i may use my p90 as a backup.

flecktarn and DPM are great choices in most UK woodland (they shouldn't break the bank either). As another optional, I'd struggle to cope without some form of kneepads.

most of my gear is ex-british army MTP including my osprey plate carrier, and i do have a some knee/elbow pads

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Whatever your results, be proud of them.

Bring a rusty chain to thrash at the spergs who will swarm you in the safe zone to tell you about how they almost bought a WA2000, but didn't because [blah blah blah].

i did manage to get one kill with the rifle last weekend, though it was more luck than judgement...  still proud of it though.

and havent had anyone give me the "i almost bought one" speech...   but i definately had most of the players on site drooling over the gun...  including some of the marshalls...  XD

2 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

most of my gear is ex-british army MTP including my osprey plate carrier

The reason I mentioned those two patterns specifically is they give some decent concealment in most UK woodland envionments. In my experience MTP/Multicam tends to be too bright to offer much in terms of actual concealment within most UK woodland environments. Though as stated 'good' camo is in no way imperitive, it's more important to get familiar with using your environment. Ghillie/leaf suits are an extension of this making it much easier because they, when put together halfway decently, serve to break up your shape... specifically around your head and shoulders.

As mentioned in a previous thread the number one thing that will give away your position is movement, so try to get comfortable with more descreet movements once you're happy you're in a good spot.

Hi @Spartan09! 👋
I’ve been on the receiving end of snipers, the good and the bad! I tried sniping recently myself with a sniper, twice and remind myself of these 3 things: 🔫

1. Watch the headshots! 😵

Only aim for the head, when it’s the ONLY target showing, too many bad players think it’s a console game, like Call of Duty or Battlefield and want all the headshots they can get.... Injuries can vary and can loose teeth, which I’ve seen a lot of, in my few years at certain sites! 🤦‍♂️

Plus Marshals should be mentioning this at all game briefings! 🤔

2. Distance! 😵

Mentioned above the Marshals will cover this in the briefing, now it may vary at different sites, 30 metres plus, get use to this change and if not sure check with a Marshal if there is one near you.... When not looking through the site keep an eye out for friend and foe, any enemy that is too close you CAN’T shoot them with a sniper! 🤦‍♂️

3. Secondary backup! 🔫

If the enemy gets too close or you go into a building, it comes in handy! 👍

Hope this helps and I’m keen to see what people think? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

The key to sniping is in movement and field craft.

Find a load bearing kit that works for you, don't look at YouTube because 90% of the "sniper loadout" videos are full of shit. I've tried all sorts and now I'm settling on a simple chest rig.

In theory you'll be scalping people from 100 metres, in practice you end up using your secondary way more than you rifle. So you may want to invest in a mk23 (best airsoft gun, period). Stupid range, stupid quiet, you can do everything with it bar magdumping rentals (which, btw, is the whole point of airsoft).

Ghillies are cool, but not necessary. Matching your camo to your environment is.

You can carry some hair bands in your pocket to add natural vegetation to your rifle and kit. They weigh nothing and are cheap, plus they have a million different uses. Rubber bands to the same but are less durable.

Stay light, makes it easier to move through vegetation.

Never take the easy path, never move in the open. You're a hunter, not a headless chicken like Nov/Silo. That's bullshit, not sniping.

Also take a look at Stip's blog 

The biggest thing is practice!

Your field craft could be the best in the world but if your shooting technique is off its not worth a damn.

Make sure you can shoot at the upper limits of your range consistently and you can get good groupings as your ROF means your targets will probably be moving between shots so it's important to hit on the first one as your unlikely to be able to adjust and compensate between shots.

Practice your reloads, if you move too much while concealed doing a reload you can easily give away your position.

As has been pointed out here get a decent secondary and make sure you know how to use it as for you its more like a second primary, popular choices for this are usually a mk23 or a glock 18 as its essentially a pdw but quicker to draw.

• Supporters

Learn to move without been seen or making noise

keep to the shadows,

stay well back at windows,

don’t give your self away.

If your solo or on a flank by your self, don’t over stay your welcome, or over exploit your enemy

always think where wouldn’t I look for a sniper,

obvious places will get you counter sniped

dont be predictable 

avoid headshots unless it the only part of someone that’s visible, fleshy bits often work better (thighs/arms etc etc)

too much cammo is worse then none at all

heavier bb’s penetrate bushes better 

11 minutes ago, sp00n said:

Learn to move without been seen or making noise

keep to the shadows,

stay well back at windows,

don’t give your self away.

Yep. I learnt all those techniques many years ago mainly as a necessity to avoid flack when getting indoors after a sat night sesh down the green dragon.became expert! Lol

🤭😉

Regards 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

if i can find a decent sling to carry it on my back, i may use my p90 as a backup

I would agree with this.  I use an MP5K as a second-primary, but as it's a bit poorly at the moment, I reckon I might take my chopped down M4 out tomorrow.

As a secondary for a secondary, those pistol grip grenade moscart launchers can be really fun, you been spotted, that glock or mk23 is a good secondary but the grenade launcher is like the spanish inquisition, no one expects that 😀 ( just dont be a dick and open up close with a 40 mike)

I had the cyma one when i was running a vsr + glock. Good fun

• 2 months later...

If you are going to fulfill a sniper rule google ‘why things are seen’. There are some very good RM produced videos. Not being seen is the aim of the game, and not being seen has nothing to do with spending huge amounts of time making a ghillie suit. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.