Snipers How do You Protect Your Scopes?

Mad-Al

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So following advice on here I just pulled the trigger (get it) on a new a quite expensive optic and would like to protect it in the field.

I've seen online that the preferences seem to be a kill flash (what im leaning towards) or a couple of pieces of polycarbonate or similar, now im not massively hand and dont own any tools so for the price of me getting set up for the lexican builds I could just get a Tenebraex kill flash so how tough are these kill flashes? and what do all of you use to protect your optics?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

So following advice on here I just pulled the trigger (get it) on a new a quite expensive optic and would like to protect it in the field.

I've seen online that the preferences seem to be a kill flash (what im leaning towards) or a couple of pieces of polycarbonate or similar, now im not massively hand and dont own any tools so for the price of me getting set up for the lexican builds I could just get a Tenebraex kill flash so how tough are these kill flashes? and what do all of you use to protect your optics?

Cheers

I use a cheapo flip up perspex screen in front of my reflex sight. Thought I had better after some dead eyed dick shot out two!

Only about 8 pounds on internet. Comes with two shields, one clear and one amber.

I have made extras out of aluminium,great protection but does nothing for target acquisition! Lol

🤭

Regards 

Edited by Shamal
Spelling

• Supporters

The flip-ups work but I lost the clear lens off of mine - it just snapped right off.  The small screws holding it on aren't that good a solution.

Also, they might not come up high enough to cover a 40mm+ scope on mounts, if that's what OP has..

A kill-flash is likely the easier solution although I'd prefer to get as much light through as possible, especially as we head into winter.

I get that you're not handy, but the best way to address that is to have a go.  If you've got a telescopic sight then the front end cap should unscrew off.  A sheet of 2mm polycarb from eBay, a hacksaw, a file and some time will get you a lens that you can just pop inside the endcap, then screw it back on.  Even thin perspex from something like a clear CD/DVD case (I know, showing my age) will likely sacrifice itself to protect the glass lens.

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Even thin perspex from something like a clear CD/DVD case (I know, showing my age)

Haha. Wots at en gramps?

We has music injected straight through us buds now lol

I can talk I'm still usin' c9o tapes. Dolby chrome. Amazing sound! Lol

Regards 

I use a honeycomb shade on my Hawke scope. I tried to get a cheap one from eBay but the size was a bit off. So ended up getting an official Hawke one for about £25. Pricey, but my scope cost about £80 in the first place.

Hasn't really altered the view at all, maybe just a tad darker due to less light getting in but still usable in the woods!

IMG_20200911_171616.jpg

30 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I get that you're not handy, but the best way to address that is to have a go.  If you've got a telescopic sight then the front end cap should unscrew off.  A sheet of 2mm polycarb from eBay, a hacksaw, a file and some time will get you a lens that you can just pop inside the endcap, then screw it back on.  Even thin perspex from something like a clear CD/DVD case (I know, showing my age) will likely sacrifice itself to protect the glass lens.

Okay I'll grab some amd give it a go then?

Is this stuff reasonably easy to work with?

6 minutes ago, leadly said:

I use a honeycomb shade on my Hawke scope. I tried to get a cheap one from eBay but the size was a bit off. So ended up getting an official Hawke one for about £25. Pricey, but my scope cost about £80 in the first place.

Unfortunately the only kill flash i can get for my optic is pushing 90 quid but that's worth paying to protect my scope if thats the way i end up going

17 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you know, you know.

image.png.153079c9734097a87170e6f57276b510.png

Haha I do know! Maxwell chrome.sigh😢

Was it re record not fade away?

Regards 

@Mad-Al I personally used 3mm disc’s I get from Amazon - depending on the size they are around a quid each (free delivery too)

https://amzn.to/3oltFEg

Just remember to measure the outer of the scope - even my scope is a 50mm I used a 60mm disc on the outer and just use some black electrical tape to secure it - have used this system on my cqb rifle and the Red-dot is still perfect even after getting up close quite often.

/when I get home and into the cave I’ll grab a photo

17848E13-ED28-4F25-BFD1-B643F4898D12.jpeg

7938D516-0891-4FC3-9C7D-F11CF99C9B27.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

If you know, you know.

image.png.153079c9734097a87170e6f57276b510.png

Scotch not Maxwell lol

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Scotch not Maxwell lol

To this day, my dad still records things off of Sky onto VCR and takes them over to his fancy woman. Rituals are important.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

To this day, my dad still records things off of Sky onto VCR and takes them over to his fancy woman. Rituals are important.

Wow. Good on your dad and the VCR! Lol 👍

I'm not saying anything about the fancy woman though 🤭

Regards 

1 hour ago, MiK said:

Personally I was a TDK man for audio......... I won’t mention the old 8-track the old stick had in his car :P

Coo fantastic bit of kit lol

go to pound shop , they have those  little chip baskets , can cut the mesh to fit inside the scope rings , and enough mesh to do loads of scopes , cut to fit and little black spray paint and good to go, 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Kls77 said:

go to pound shop , they have those  little chip baskets , can cut the mesh to fit inside the scope rings , and enough mesh to do loads of scopes , cut to fit and little black spray paint and good to go, 

Now that's a bodge I can get behind. 👍

On 23/10/2020 at 16:18, Mad-Al said:

Cheers

I run a Vortex diamondback, without protection.
Tbh, if you just bought a Vortex (as I think you mentioned in your other thread?), don't bother...
Isn't their awesome warranty half the point of getting one?

31 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

For all you Carlos Hathcocks out there

Fuck!! I'm taking my scope off! Open sights from now on.🧐 

I use a killflash because I like to conceal the scope shine. Scope protection for me is secondary as I've never had a scope break on me in 15 years of playing. I also use £50 scopes though, as I don't see a reason to shell out on pricey optics for my rifle. However, I have some maybe unpopular opinions on airsoft sniping; no airsoft gun is a precision instrument.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.