Guide: Shimming an Ares M4 Grip to Fit a Scar

paradoxum

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I hate the stock SCAR grip. It's uncomfortable and ugly.

I picked up this Ares Amoeba M4/15/16 Pistol Grip that I really like with the two-toning:

4hJjpfM.jpg

Unfortunately fitting M4 grips on the SCAR needs some shimming and modding. The only topic about it I could find online is from 2013 here:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=157394

I have been following the instructions posted and broken images as best as I can, and I think I've almost got it, so I'm posting my efforts here for posterity or whatever.

I have no idea how to make the shim in that topic aside from modelling and 3D-printing it, so I figured the next best thing was to cut up some tough pencil erasers to make the shim. The white is the practice one.

wKHsu06.jpg

I used a drill with a small file attached to create the larger hole and then fine-tuned it manually to enlarge the motor hole.

OYTY1IF.jpg

Using a 22TPA Infinity U-22000 motor, you need to remove the spring from the shaft, and widen the hole in the grip so that this part fits through.

O12W8sD.jpg

Eraser shim test:

XSNMMMZ.jpg

Think I got the height perfect on the bevel gear:

L9wm4GD.jpg

hx1elYs.jpg

(hard to push the grip up against the gearbox properly with one hand and take a picture, but it seems like a perfect fit to me).

Now to test it, then make a cleaner shim from another block of eraser.

Will keep updating this as I go. I'll post the final dimensions of the shim (height mainly) and the diameter of the motor hole needed when I get it sorted.

Update 1:

This is how you want the motor to sit. The hole measures pretty much exactly 1CM in diameter, but a bit uneven here:

NXFSGGQ.jpg

k2ufMEe.jpg

With the rubber shim at the top and the motor in this position, you do not need to modify the base or stack washers to shim the bottom - simply screwing in the motor grip screw is enough to raise the height enough to reach the bevel gear properly. Will be putting the GB together with an old bevel gear to test it today, if it's fine I'll cut a cleaner shim and get the full dimensions for it.

• Supporters

I have a Magpul MIAD clone on my SCAR (G&G). All I need to do to make it fit was open out the beaver tail with a round file to fit the shape of the rear of the upper receiver. No shims necessary and the motor meshes just fine.

37 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I have a Magpul MIAD clone on my SCAR (G&G). All I need to do to make it fit was open out the beaver tail with a round file to fit the shape of the rear of the upper receiver. No shims necessary and the motor meshes just fine.

Holy bajeezus, you're right. The shim is pointless. That's what I get for following advice from a 7 year old thread.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.