Waterproofing Cotton and Other Fabrics.

Skullchewer

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey folks, I want to do some waterproofing on a couple of items.

Namely a boonie hat and a pair of Viper trousers.

Has anyone found a good brand for cottons? I've been recommended Grangers and Nikwak by horsey types but I thought I'd consult the AFUK gurus before buying anything.

Any recommendations, tips etc?

Thanks in advance.

Not heard of Grangers but Nikwax seems to be the most popular, or at least, common option. Check out the "Cotton Proof Spray-On"

Give it a good spray, ventilate the room as best you can, then wrap it up in a plastic bag and let it permeate overnight (can't hurt to let it go longer). 

• Supporters

Is that from experience, or Googling?

I've tried both the Nikwax wash-in and the spray-on without much luck on cotton clothing.  Temporarily water antipathical at best, but does nothing for the seams.

The only thing I've found that actually works on cotton (hats and bags, not clothing) is waxing with a mix of melted down wax, boot dubbin and vegetable oil, and working it well into the seams, but it changes the appearance significantly.

That said, I'm just about to give my new cotton DPM boonie a blast with generic silicone spray as that's another internets suggestion.  I suspect the Nikwax stuff is mostly (or entirely) silicone, just with a Nuprol-style brand-name markup.

I haven't tried it myself, but have heard good things about Diver Dave's Repel. I believe there are a few other products that have the same/similar effect.

Here is a test of a similar product that I saw on YouTube. Might be worth a try: 

I had a similar dilemma but not for cotton and had both Grangers and Nikwax in my cart. In the end I went with Nikwax you apply in the washing machine.  I was reproofing a soft shell jacket that had lost it's water repellence.  It doesn't appear to have been brought back to it's excellent factory performance with water beading but it seems to have put a decent coating back on it.  I haven't tested it in really nasty rain but so far so good.  

• Supporters

The Nikwax wash-in did partially restore the waterproofing to the "sinaqua" branded lining in my motorcycle jacket.

Used on cotton though, I had no luck.  There's only so much you can do with woven fabric fibres without forming a solid layer on the top.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I've tried both the Nikwax wash-in and the spray-on without much luck on cotton clothing.  Temporarily water antipathical at best, but does nothing for the seams.

The only thing I've found that actually works on cotton (hats and bags, not clothing) is waxing with a mix of melted down wax, boot dubbin and vegetable oil, and working it well into the seams, but it changes the appearance significantly.

That said, I'm just about to give my new cotton DPM boonie a blast with generic silicone spray as that's another internets suggestion.  I suspect the Nikwax stuff is mostly (or entirely) silicone, just with a Nuprol-style brand-name markup.

Experience, you prick. I've got waxed clothing, but I've not waxed a pair of combat trousers myself so I didn't comment. A spray - or wax for that matter is not going to be amazing, but it is, as far as I can tell "not bad", and its not that expensive. A specific water "proof" layer of goretex or whatever is best, though I wouldn't want to be wearing that all day.  

• Supporters
1 hour ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Experience, you prick.

It's a shame that parties are banned right now; you must be an absolute delight at them.

A specific water "proof" layer of goretex or whatever is best, though I wouldn't want to be wearing that all day. 

I would.  Goretex is the most effective, breathable and waterproof lining that I've used.  I can't justify the cost for airsoft use though.

It's great that you got good results on whatever it was that you used on whatever you used it on.  However, Nikwax "Cotton Proof Spray On" doesn't appear to be an actual thing.

Perhaps you meant "Nikwax Wax Cotton Proof Spray-On Waterproofer", but since we're explicitly not talking about waxed garments, I'd assume not.

It could be "Nikwax Tx. Direct Spray On Spray On Waterproofer" (which is what I used on cotton without much success).

Conceivably it's "Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof", but that's sponge on, not spray on.

Or it might be "Nikwax Cotton Proof Waterproofing", but that's wash in.

• Supporters

Why is it some people can't be involved in a forum discussion without showing their true colours, resorting to insults at the drop of a hat just because someone has a different experience or view than them.

Thing is it's great online where everyone is a "warrior", & then one day paths may cross, & then they find out actually they're not that special 😏

Definitely not Cool 🤣

11 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Whoa whoa whoa, steady on there George.

I don't think 'Borg had any malice behind his question.

no its not malice, its just really tiresome approach and today it quite simply got on my tits. 

Its a small hobby and we all need to get along: Roger, I am sorry for calling you a prick. Consider me rattled. 

And yes, I use the wax stuff. Is it only for wax stuff? Is it absolutely not for un-waxed stuff? I don't know, and you know what, i just don't care.  Its what I used, it "seems" to work "ok" which is about what i think one can reasonably expect. 

Roger, I am sorry for calling you a prick

Well said George.

Now both of you shake hands and play nicely or its early bed! 

😉👍

Ps. Virtual hands that is due to clovehitch 19. Lol

Edited by Shamal
Addition

• Supporters

Roger, I am sorry for calling you a prick. Consider me rattled. 

Whoa there, you take that back: I am an insufferable prick, and have worked long and hard to perfect it. Never apologise for being right!

In this case though, nothing personal was intended.  It's just that first hand experience is worth a dozen copy-pastes on the internets; that's really all I was asking. If there's is a Nikwax potion that does work on unprepared cotton, I'll be all over it.

And yes, I use the wax stuff. Is it only for wax stuff? Is it absolutely not for un-waxed stuff?

If it works on unwaxed stuff, it works, and that's great.  I'm always up for trying things otherwise than as intended.

What I'd rule out is the Nikwax "Tx. Direct" spray and wash-in.  That worked (for me and for a while) for restoring a waterproof membrane, but not at all on cotton trousers or cotton/leather mix gloves.  Elbows and seams were the leak spots.

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Whoa there, you take that back: I am an insufferable prick, and have worked long and hard to perfect it. Never apologise for being right!

In this case though, nothing personal was intended.  It's just that first hand experience is worth a dozen copy-pastes on the internets; that's really all I was asking. If there's is a Nikwax potion that does work on unprepared cotton, I'll be all over it.

If it works on unwaxed stuff, it works, and that's great.  I'm always up for trying things otherwise than as intended.

What I'd rule out is the Nikwax "Tx. Direct" spray and wash-in.  That worked (for me and for a while) for restoring a waterproof membrane, but not at all on cotton trousers or cotton/leather mix gloves.  Elbows and seams were the leak spots.

See least said soonest mended.😉

• Supporters

I’ve used ‘Granger’ waterproofing for a good few yrs , me personally I prefer it to Nixwax .

End of autumn I’ll give any thing that needs it a wash with the washing machine proofer then top it up every now and again with the spray .

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

Thing is it's great online where everyone is a "warrior", & then one day paths may cross, & then they find out actually they're not that special 😏

happened last yr at ground zero , Saturday morning getting ready to go out for the day I spotted a particular gobshite I’d had a few run ins with on this very forum by the main gate out to the site , saw the name badge steamed right over poked him in his boney little shoulder he spins round all 5ft2inch 6stone soaking wet streak of piss that he was looks at me all blank I lean in and say “I’m Druid from the forums and I WILL see you on the field “ his reaction ? Procal Harem summed it best with there biggest hit ! 😉 😈🤣🤣

Blimey, that all took a turn 🤣

Thanks for the replies, you pricks.

Time to do it before game day is limited, so I'll go with nikwax for now then try Roger's recipe.

I've got a big waterproof poncho that packs down real small, in case game day is really wet.

Cheers all!

Not something I've tried on clothing , but Fabsil as sold for reproofing tents etc works fantastically well on car hoods. I've got some in the garage , might try painting it on a hat at the weekend as an experiment.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skullchewer said:

Time to do it before game day is limited, so I'll go with nikwax for now then try Roger's recipe.

I don't have a recipe that works, unless you fancy spending half a day hunched over a Satanic mix of oil/grease/wax with a heat gun or blowtorch, that will stiffen your trousers up to the point where they're unusable.

If George reckons that Nikwax "Wax" Cotton Spray On waterproofing helps, I really would go with that. He's a proper solid chap, I have no reason to doubt him.  I'll be trying it myself if copious quantities of pure silicone spray don't help.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skullchewer said:

Righty ho. Ordering some of this concoction. I shall report back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001R18DBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lOYKFb496BQ6X

Nixwax Cotton proof Is good stuff just don't expect new from the shop quality waterproofing , after trying god knows how many different recipes/products over the past 30 “cough cough Yrs” I’ve come to the decision you’ll never really emulate factory level proofing . But hay cheaper than buying new kit every pigging year ! 😁👍

• Moderators
On 23/10/2020 at 12:10, Rogerborg said:

agree here, i use the soft shell spray (goOutdoors had some deals on it) for the helikon 'gunfighter' jacket that they recommend and its no good on the shoulder seams, well ive had little luck. Water doesnt pour in but i only wear in light rain / showers, anything heavier and i know i'll get wet....

any recommendations for a good 'waterproof' jacket thats not over £100+

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.