Recommend a Budget Race Gun

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My local site have a range set up at their shop with electronic targets and the such. I've got a few pistols I could use but fancy something that looks the part too (compensator, flared mag well etc), without spending several hundred on a Marui Hi Capa build. So I'm thinking something like the Army Armament R501 but maybe there's something similar that performs just a little better? 

I'd say you'd do better with any stock TM capa. I'd go 4.3 for a quicker cycle. Maybe short stroke it if you want to speed up cycling. You don't even have to buy the official buffers, I've used all sorts of junk to do it. Stick a flared well on ,comp if you want but they don't really do anything on an AS pistol.

Just a quick google shows a Chinese clone race gun is going to set you back the better part of £140 to £180 or you can get a hicapa D.O.R for £120 https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/tokyo-marui-gas-blowback-hicapa-dor-dor-pistol-save-16-was-135-now-119 and it will shoot significantly better. 

Grab a normal Hi-Capa 5.1.
Stick in a leightweight BBU, short stroke kit and 120% recoil spring and you're set. Even if you splash out and get an ESC barrel upgrade you're still under £200 and it will shoot better, faster and be more reliable than anything else for similar pricing.

4.3's can be difficult to get some parts for (slides and outer barrels looking at).

D.O.R's aren't compatible with normal 5.1 so again parts and upgrade availability is diminished.
AA R501 is effectively a 4.3 but you're starting at AA tier so it won't shoot brilliantly and the metal slide although fits well will be less snappy than a TM plastic.

For the love of god don't buy anything WE, Vorsk or Raven based Hi-Capa's as they're sub standard and parts aren't true TM spec.

2 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

ESC

as in E.S. Custom, the Italian guy?

Fucking avoid him like the plague.

2 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

No.

Elite

Shooting

Centre

aka Mike Cripps place.

phew.

Go on then :D

• Supporters

For a race gun you want it lightweight, easy handled with a crisp single action trigger pull and a snappy lightweight slide.

Therefore you should definately use a colt 25.....

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you should definately use a colt 25.....

....and I already have one! 

IMG_20200918_193547.jpg

3 hours ago, BigStew said:

Just a quick google shows a Chinese clone race gun is going to set you back the better part of £140 to £180 or you can get a hicapa D.O.R for £120 https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/tokyo-marui-gas-blowback-hicapa-dor-dor-pistol-save-16-was-135-now-119 and it will shoot significantly better. 

This is of course the correct choice. No way could I justify paying £155 for a Vorsk when I could get a Marui for £119.

Personally I’d avoid the Marui DOR. Out of the box it is nice enough (I’d even go as far as to say very good), but the thing that makes the hi-capa such a good base as a race gun is the huge aftermarket parts support. Lots of parts for the regular HiCapa won’t fit the DOR.

I have run the AW race gun linked to above and it was very nice for a stock gun and did crazy FPS with CO2. I got rid of it as I’m so much more used to glocks (both airsoft and RS) that it jus didn’t feel right. Also in IPSC practical shooting it is an open category gun and it (obviously) can’t compete with the custom built hicapas that can cost over £1k.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.