We M4 DMR?

PopRocket123

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anyone tried using a WE open bolt M4 as a base for a DMR build? I know they're not the best but they're the most cost effective and versatile GBBR to do a build with multiple uppers and I figured with a new barrel and hop rubber along with running the right gas and a couple of cheap mods to improve gas efficiency and consistency it wouldn't be a bad option. 

1 hour ago, jsmithski said:

Not really. All I'm doing with those mods is trying to get that extra bit of performance out of the gun. Sure maybe an MWS would be a better base gun but since trying to get spare uppers for them basically involves waiting for someone to break their lower and they both use a vsr barrel and rubber I figured I'd go with the more practical option for me. 

Just now, PopRocket123 said:

Not really. All I'm doing with those mods is trying to get that extra bit of performance out of the gun. Sure maybe an MWS would be a better base gun but since trying to get spare uppers for them basically involves waiting for someone to break their lower and they both use a vsr barrel and rubber I figured I'd go with the more practical option for me. 

So why not a vfc? They at least look legit unlike WE that work and look mediocre. 

47 minutes ago, jsmithski said:

So why not a vfc? They at least look legit unlike WE that work and look mediocre. 

Because VFC GBBRs are notoriously unreliable and poor performers

I hate to disagree, but my experience is that internally VFC are only as good as WE in most cases and in bad cases (e.g. MP7) far worse. I agree the VFC externals are much better. For me the big difference is when they break (and they both will!!) WE parts are much cheaper and more easily available.

I Currently own 2 and 1/2 MWS (including a DMR upper) as well as a WE 416 as a spare so I guess my humble opinion is as good as anyone’s.

IMHO yes you could make a decent DMR from a WE (probably comparable in raw performance to an MWS). The issue is that you will need to upgrade more parts on the WE than on a MWS and it will require far more maintenance to keep it running so in the long run the MWS will be a cheaper option. As long as you go in with this knowledge then fair play.

By way of example for my MWS DMR all I did internally was put in a long inner barrel and an NPAS and a brass hop nub, (and lock it to semi) and it will chuck out 0.2g BBs at 450fps and hop anything up to 0.45g BBs (0.36g seem to work the best) and has been rock solid,

needing nothing more than regular cleaning.

To do the same build to my WE I would want to change the same stuff as the MWS, plus the hop unit, in addition I doubt the bolt lock feature would last long on very high FPS so an upgraded bolt would be in order. The trigger sears are also prone to wear so a new trigger box would be required eventually. The WE is also far less gas efficient so the mag valves and seals/o-rings would probably need upgrading (I already replaced all the o rings on My WE over the course of the year). The finish is also no where near as good as the MWS (or the VFC). Lots of other little tweaks an upgrades would also be needed to close the gap in terms of general build quality and tolerances.

Thanks that's the most detail anyone has gone into for me about this. I was going into this knowing that it would be a gun that needs a lot more work to get it running right and keep it that way. I'm aware of complaints about the trigger box and the bolt but from what I've seen they're not too bad and should be alright for the amount I get out to play at the moment.

Like you say the main appeal of the we is the relatively cheap and easily available upgrades and spares. The ra tech hop up is a must then?

Out of interest how did you manage to get a spare upper for your MWS?

The spare MWS upper was pure luck. I got a compete upper with charging handle and bolt carrier and all the bits off off of forum classifieds. The rail and flash hider were two toned lime green, but I junked them on day one.

In terms of the WE the hop, it isn’t that it’s bad but it just isn’t as consistent at the MWS (which is my benchmark) in terms of FPS variations or hop applied. If I were going to do a WE DMR build tomorrow I’d probably upgrade that as one of my first changes, but please note I haven’t had any of the aftermarket hops so it’s hard to advise. My WE has a 50 degree autobot and an omega nub in it and with that combo it performs very acceptably, but the MWS is on another level.

Also worth noting WE have a habit of making running upgrades to each production run without publicising them at all. It’s worth trying to get the latest production as it may have incremental improvement over previous versions.

1 hour ago, Cyberlawyer said:

The spare MWS upper was pure luck. I got a compete upper with charging handle and bolt carrier and all the bits off off of forum classifieds. The rail and flash hider were two toned lime green, but I junked them on day one.

In terms of the WE the hop, it isn’t that it’s bad but it just isn’t as consistent at the MWS (which is my benchmark) in terms of FPS variations or hop applied. If I were going to do a WE DMR build tomorrow I’d probably upgrade that as one of my first changes, but please note I haven’t had any of the aftermarket hops so it’s hard to advise. My WE has a 50 degree autobot and an omega nub in it and with that combo it performs very acceptably, but the MWS is on another level.

Also worth noting WE have a habit of making running upgrades to each production run without publicising them at all. It’s worth trying to get the latest production as it may have incremental improvement over previous versions.

That wouldn't surprise me as a lot of Airsoft companies do that. I was probably either going to do that or pick up a second hand package as cheap as possible so the upgrades hurt my wallet less. Someone also mentioned that the most recent ones no longer use the vsr barrel but I can't find any info on that. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.