Dmr Users What Optics do You Use?

Mad-Al

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I'm currently in the middle of a DMR project and am looking for opinions and experiences with different scopes.

Ill be shooting .36s and will be firing  .2s at 430ish fps.

Currently in looking at either:

Vortex spitfire 3x fixed.

Vortex strike eagle 1-6 variable.

So what level of magnification do you all use? 3x, 4x or something completely different and are low power variables worth it?

• Supporters

the issue with lpvo's is the 1x isn't really 1x compared to an open dot.

tbh when i ran the m4 i pretty much kept the variable at 4x and used a stacked red dot for 90% of shots only switching when i needed to track the bb's flightpath at range.

with that in mind i'd be more minded to go for the fixed 3-4x and stack a red dot for closer range work, i've been using the dragonuv with the pso (fixed 4x) and aside from the inability to aim quickly at closer ranges it's been just fine (with the caveat that the pso is going to be much worse than a more modern optic)

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh when i ran the m4 i pretty much kept the variable at 4x and used a stacked red dot for 90% of shots only switching when i needed to track the bb's flightpath at range.

with that in mind i'd be more minded to go for the fixed 3-4x and stack a red dot for closer range work, i've been using the dragonuv with the pso (fixed 4x) and aside from the inability to aim quickly at closer ranges it's been just fine (with the caveat that the pso is going to be much worse than a more modern optic)

My initial plan was a red dot with 3x flip to side magnifier but the claw mount on the g3 isn't long enough for both.

I suspect most people set a lpvo to 3 or 4 and never touch it again to be honest.

Is there much of a difference in using a 3x to a 4x in reality?

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

That's because most people get the VisionKing which is x1.25 at minimum. There's plenty out there that are proper x1 at minimum (like the Vector Optics ones I usually recommend).

2 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

My initial plan was a red dot with 3x flip to side magnifier but the claw mount on the g3 isn't long enough for both.

I suspect most people set a lpvo to 3 or 4 and never touch it again to be honest.

Bear in mind that a DMR isn't going to get used at ranges inside 15-20m depending on your MED. My MK12 has a Leupold MK4 knock off that only goes down to 3x and that's where it stays most of the time unless I'm spotting with it.

There's longer claw mounts about that should fit a red dot/mag combo but again - how often will you need or be able to use it at red dot distances?

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

tbh the red dot/magnifier thing is one of those ideas seems better on paper than practically, at least with the quality of airsoft optics.

8 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That's because most people get the VisionKing which is x1.25 at minimum. There's plenty out there that are proper x1 at minimum (like the Vector Optics ones I usually recommend).

it's more the existence of an eyebox compared to a dot where (assuming it's got decent parralax) you see the dot you use the dot.

12 minutes ago, Lozart said:

There's longer claw mounts about that should fit a red dot/mag combo but again - how often will you need or be able to use it at red dot distances?

thing is if you look at the RS world "red dot distances" can be out to 300m, you don't need magnification to get hits at airsoft ranges, you need it to track the bb's flightpath and the targets honesty.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh the red dot/magnifier thing is one of those ideas seems better on paper than practically, at least with the quality of airsoft optics.

it's more the existence of an eyebox compared to a dot where (assuming it's got decent parralax) you see the dot you use the dot.

thing is if you look at the RS world "red dot distances" can be out to 300m, you don't need magnification to get hits at airsoft ranges, you need it to track the bb's flightpath and the targets honesty.

The red dot/mag combo - absolutely. Airsoft optics are generally gash in that respect but decent ones are out there.

If you're using a dot or an LPVO at low magnification then you should be using both eyes which renders the eyebox fairly moot. Again, airsoft optics etc but even so.

You're right, most magnified optics are pointless at the ranges we use but then when you aim at a 300m target on a firearm you have a much better chance that it's going to hit without needing to track the projectile (not that you could with the naked eye of course). Like you say it's more about seeing if the BB hits the target or not.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The red dot/mag combo - absolutely. Airsoft optics are generally gash in that respect but decent ones are out there.

If you're using a dot or an LPVO at low magnification then you should be using both eyes which renders the eyebox fairly moot. Again, airsoft optics etc but even so.

You're right, most magnified optics are pointless at the ranges we use but then when you aim at a 300m target on a firearm you have a much better chance that it's going to hit without needing to track the projectile (not that you could with the naked eye of course). Like you say it's more about seeing if the BB hits the target or not.

yeah, we can't rely on dirt splashes or guaranteed hit calls in this hobby sadly.

like i say my finding with the lpvo/stacked dot was i was using the dot almost exclusively and rarely would i actually use the magnification, and likewise i find the pso is a bit of a pain if you're trying to get on target quickly (also whoever said you can still use irons with a pso mounted is a liar :P ) main reason i use it is because what else am i mounting on a dragonuv :P

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Sometimes even at longer ranges (for airsoft) rapid target acquisition is more important than pinpoint accuracy so its handy to have that option, although with a claw mount i should still be able to use the g3s irons for this

Seems like the lpvo may be more hassle than its worth so what are people opinions on 3x vs 4x optics for DMRs?

And does anyone know of a longer claw mount able to take a dot magnifier clmbo?

I was looking at the claws one but it looks to short to take both

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Mad-Al said:

The very cheap <£10 flippy magnifiers are for novelty purposes only.  I bought one just to see how bad they are, and... bad.  Essentially non usable.

Airsoft optics, and Chinesium claims.  I took another punt on a ~£20 "3x42" red dot sight like this:

image.png.49196505c67f47c13f66a91f4b93a2c3.png

Nah, I don't think so.  Maybe 2x35 on a good day, with more red glare than an Amsterdam window.  Just about better than Mk1 eyeball, depending on lighting.

What does work for me is a 3-9x50E illuminated cross sniper scope, whether it's on a bolt action, or an AEG.  As noted, it's as much about seeing where the BBs are going as spotting the target, although I did throw it on my stubby M4 right at the end of my last game as the light was just starting to fade and the Bush Wookies were having a field day.

image.png.176c57b4962276089544c995e0f43c9a.png

A bit heavy, but effective.  I'd say 3x to 4x is a sweet spot.  Above 4x the FOV gets too narrow.  You'd probably be fine with a 40mm objective lens but I like the extra light-sucky-in-ness of 50mm.

I'm not sure about the sights on the G3, but on a G36 the stock sights are low enough to remain just about usable with see-though scope mounts as above, of if you're going for a more solid sight, on top of a hollow rail riser like this.

image.png.feb4b607962e442ce01b2d5621d5b02b.png

Although as @Lozart notes, with a DMR if your too close to use the optic, you're probably too close to shoot.

As with much of airsoft, it's a case of suck it and see what works for you, and there's no need to be bound by convention, or reality.  I've run that 3-9x50 scope on an MP5K for larks.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

Sometimes even at longer ranges (for airsoft) rapid target acquisition is more important than pinpoint accuracy so its handy to have that option, although with a claw mount i should still be able to use the g3s irons for this

Seems like the lpvo may be more hassle than its worth so what are people opinions on 3x vs 4x optics for DMRs?

And does anyone know of a longer claw mount able to take a dot magnifier clmbo?

I was looking at the claws one but it looks to short to take both

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/FOCUHUNTER-Aluminum-Tactical-Profile-Picatinny/dp/B07QRW41X4/ref=sr_1_8?ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-smile-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&dchild=1&keywords=airsoft%2Bg3%2Bclaw%2Bmount&qid=1603118764&sr=8-8&tag=amz-mkt-chr-uk-21&th=1

That one's 12cm. The Wilcox style holo/mag combo mounts have about 13cm of usable rail space so you should be able to make that work.

The LPVO really isn't too much hassle as long as you get one with a true x1. As far as fixed optics go, x3 is plenty for a DMR.

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

As with much of airsoft, it's a case of suck it and see what works for you, and there's no need to be bound by convention, or reality.  I've run that 3-9x50 scope on an MP5K for larks.

The proper answer right here, you'll never know what really works best for you until you try it. I'd argue that the second biggest money sink to airsofters (number 1 being 'ooh shiny', click, buy) is finding stuff that's comfortable or suits your style of play.

Edit: and yeah those cheapo chinese magnifier clones are for photo ops only, in real use they're trash and worse than looking through a goldfish bowl. I grabbed a vector optics 3x and that's crystal clear, though I've yet to use it in a game.

8 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The LPVO really isn't too much hassle as long as you get one with a true x1. As far as fixed optics go, x3 is plenty for a DMR.

I've had no real issues with quick target acquisition with the 1.25x on the visionkings to be fair, good cheek weld and the right mounts and has been working fine for me. Though again, different strokes for different folks 😄

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Shaydee said:

I grabbed a vector optics 3x and that's crystal clear, though I've yet to use it in a game.

That's what I have. Decent for the money!

10 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That's what I have. Decent for the money!

It's what i was eyeing up too, this with a vortex strike fire 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

It's what i was eyeing up too, this with a vortex strike fire 

Consider getting it through AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32256029238.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_555764957.pic_18 WAY cheaper!

15 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Yeah +1 to that. I managed to get mine a little cheaper as well as they were having a small sale on, though the savings were quickly squashed when I bought the aimpoint micro style clone they do 😄. Good little bits for the money fair play.

I use a BSA £30 short dot on my AEG and in woodland it's plenty useable at 1x. I've used it in woodland and cqb, daylight and low light and while sometimes you might be better off with a red dot but in general I don't feel limited by it.

I have picked up a £60 2-6x from Amazon for my DMR and while I haven't tried it out in a game yet but it's definitely a darker sight picture than my short dot. 

And as others have said the cheap magnifiers are less that worthless.

On my DMR (MWS Mk12) I run a LPVO with an RMR.  It does live most of It’s life of 3/4x, but the other options are nice to have either when spotting or if you are ‘running and gunning’ (outside of MED obviously).

On my assault rifle (MWS Mk18) I do run a red dot and flip to the side 3X magnifier combo and it is excellent, but I did have to fork out for RS kit as the airsoft magnifiers I have used have all been pretty poor, and the optics are hit and miss as to whether they hold zero on a GBBR.

Thanks for the help all i think ill be going with the vortex spitfire 3x as it doesnt seem like the extra options of the lpvo are for me.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.