First Milsim/First Airsoft Anything, Really....

TheFNWizard

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone,

I have signed up for my first ever Airsoft event. It is a 3 day Milsim and I also signed up for a helicopter mission and an undercover “JTF?” mission. 

I have read all the info that was sent to me, uniform and safety rules. Can anyone here explain to me how these things work? Any advice so I’m not running around being “that guy!”?

Thanks

Wow, that's really in at the deep end! I have only had one day of airsoft, so far, and I was that guy. My team was mostly made up of experienced players who knew what they were doing and I was left out of the information loop somewhat. The Airsoft brigade seem a very accommodating bunch and keen that new players take away a good impression of the sport. IF you can buddy-up with a sympathetic player who has the time and inclination to show you the ropes you'll be fine, I'm sure. For me the hardest thing to get my head around was moving the respawn points.

Three days? Man! Are you going to be sore and tired?!

Have a great time and write it up afterwards so we can enjoy your outing too.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

It looks like OP is in the US.  Milsim West? Probably better off asking how US milsims work on a US forum/Reddit.

I think you burn someone's patch then flip out and fite them IRL.

Oof, a 3 day milsim as a first experience?  Just be aware that what you're signing up for is a lot of hurry-up-and-wait, plenty of shouting, but likely not much actual shooting.

I'll leave it to the simmers to expand.

Hi and welcome!

I don't have any experience of Milsims but would love to go to one of Swampsnipers events (REV etc)...they look awesome, especially the Wild West one he did.

TBH, acknowledging the fact you are US based. I would cancel, get a refund and go to a few normal skirmishes first THEN decide if its for you or not.

• Supporters

I'm with evilmonkee on this, cancel & get a few gamedays under your belt.

While I'm unsure how hardcore the US based milsims are, if it turns out to be an extreme event, lottsa tabbing while carrying everything you need for those 3 days, little sleep & high expectations from those around you (& those running it), then factor in weather conditions that may work against you, especially if your kit isn't as good as it needs to be, this kinda event may make or break you, & sour you against playing in the future ?.

Some more info on you & the events in question might enable us to give more focused advice, otherwise it sounds like you may have overcommitted yourself in your initial excitement, that's not a criticism though, who wouldn't get a chubby at the idea of assaulting a target from a helicopter 🤤

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Going against the grain here, I've never played at a US milsim but they're not as hardcore as you'd expect and no one's going to scream at you if you need to get a rest, especially at MSW. Personally I can think of no better way to get into airsoft than diving into a structured milsim rather than a less interesting sunday skirmish.

I would consider posting on /r/milsim instead of here - they'll be able to give you useful advice, tell you explicitly if you've signed up for more than you can chew, and give you advice on kit etc.

Something to remember - Eye protection is the most important thing you can buy. Do not buy cheap here.

• Supporters

While it's unlikely he'll be doing a reenactment of hell week or the fan dance, shit conditions & poor kit will ruin the experience, we're just saying take it slow & get an understanding of what's to be expected.

To that end, yep there are dedicated milsim forums, you may also find the event itself has dedicated website or Facebook pages where other players are discussing everything from kit lists, the terrain involved, expected weather, & previous events that may cast more light on what to expect from this one ?.

Some I've played have been a walk in the park, others where conditions have been harsher, have really tested peoples morale & stamina, with many dropping out before endex.

Just saying 🤔 

& Yeah, good quality comfortable eyepro is a priority (you might be wearing them for 72hrs straight), also allow for at least one spare pair of goggs or glasses in case your primary set get damaged in any way (I always carry 1 clear set & 1 mesh set to cover all eventualities), next priority is footwear, ideally boots, no fun if you get blisters or a twisted ankle 12 hours in.

8 hours ago, TheFNWizard said:

Hello everyone,

I have signed up for my first ever Airsoft event. It is a 3 day Milsim and I also signed up for a helicopter mission and an undercover “JTF?” mission. 

I have read all the info that was sent to me, uniform and safety rules. Can anyone here explain to me how these things work? Any advice so I’m not running around being “that guy!”?

Thanks

Joint task force...

9 hours ago, TheFNWizard said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks

As you're in the US, very few of us will be aware of how the events are run.

'MilSim' is a term that means different things to different people.  

For some its dressing up

For others its restricting yourself to simulated restrictions such as appropriate types of equipment, restricted quantities of ammunition and sleeping in a bush.

Gameplay would be expected to have mission objectives, and may be strictly serious or just fun with a general theme.

You may be immersed in game for the full 3 days or you could be going in and out to rest & relax in a safe zone with camping or accommodation.

If you are playing Overwatch then see the info below.

If not then 'helicopter' could mean anything - you could get a real ride in a helicopter, you could ride in a simulated helicopter van or walk with Marshalls until they tell you the 'helicopter' has landed.

JTF Could mean anything - As in the video below for Overwatches JTF experiences, or it could be a mission objective as a group.

https://doomsdayairsoft.com/overwatch

This event has real helicopters and a themed JTF mission.

With the helicopters there are two options - just riding as a passenger or sitting out on the skids and getting to shoot whilst in flight.

Both options include being dropped off to perform a mission - probably behind enemy lines, or dropped at an objective.

The JTF mission described in Overwatch is an 'experience'

You would be briefed then taken out to perform a simulated mission, its not gameplay but a role-play in a similar manner to training.

Experiences like this tend to be run on an instructor basis - you are not eliminated by being shot, but only if you  are told you are by the instructors.  (For example so that you become a casualty to be retrieved and  protected by the others 

Others have highlighted their concern of whether a MilSim would be recommended to a new or less experienced player.

This is going to depend on your circumstances and how the specific event is run.

15 years ago, in UK Scenario paintball, I would recommend all the scenario & big games in the calendar to most people including new players.

But 10 years ago there were certain events that I would only recommend to particular people depending on the type of venue, what the format/immersion was and special experiences in the games

Thank you to everyone who replied. The boots are taken care of. Extra eye protection is a great idea I did not think of so thank you Tackle. Tommikka, you nailed it. I will be attending Overwatch 6 January 15-17th. https://doomsdayairsoft.com/events

As for everyone who warned me that I may be getting in to deep for my first event. You ARE correct. I did that on purpose and purchased a press pass. If I feel am overwhelmed, I will take off my uniform, put on my Yellow work vest, and begin shooting the event in full cinema UHD. I own a drone/production company so if I am still playing in a year I will probably be sorting through footage for a YouTube channel. 

Since I am not going to get a refund or not go, I will take your great advice and use the 3 months I have to get on the field and I will definitely check out the suggested forums and Redit threads.

Thanks again and if anyone has anything else or the new information has answered unanswered questions, I would love to hear more from your experiences.

21 hours ago, TheFNWizard said:

I have signed up for my first ever Airsoft event. It is a 3 day Milsim

Day 2 your legs are gonna be non-functional and you will discover muscles on your buttcheeks you never realized existed before... good luck you crazy bastard :D

If you are not already a fit guy, TheFNWizard, you need to get on a fitness regime NOW. Pretend you are training for a 10k (at least) and don't neglect your arms either. I work with my hands but at the end of a 10-4 skirmish my biceps were pumped from holding my M4 'at the ready'. Remember the 5-Ps: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.