Sites That Still Allow 8mm?

Cromulon1994

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After calling up my regular site and asking if they allow 8mm bbs, and being told "no, it's an airsoft site."

And they're part of a chain.

Does any site still allow or even know about 8mm?

Gun in question is sub 1 joule marushin pistol.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cromulon1994 said:

sub 1 joule marushin pisto

Propane rather than CO2?

Do they even chrono those?

Might have been better not asking.  I mean, what are the chance of you being spotted using it by someone who knows that it's not 6mm, and cares?  And what would the consequences be if it's under the Joule limit?

The legal definition of airsoft guns goes up to 8mm.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2017/3/part/6/crossheading/firearms/enacted

The only practical consideration I can think of is old, brittle ammo shattering.

• Supporters

Many years ago, when almost every site only allowed 328fps on a .20, there was a massive lack of knowledge on FPS with heavier ammo/joule creep, & all the other variables that can effect power in Airsoft, add to that the insurance companies knew even less so generally rather than investigate & attempt to learn more, they took the lazy route & just refused to cover anything other than 6mm use, most sites also wanted an easy life & accepted this, after all it's not like there's much about in 8mm ?.

I'm sure some of the brainboxes on here can work out an accurate FPS/joule reading with the relevant info, personally I'm with @Rogerborg on this, if it chronos below about 330, say nothing & play on, no harm no foul 🤔

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Tackle said:

I'm sure some of the brainboxes on here can work out an accurate FPS/joule reading with the relevant info, personally I'm with @Rogerborg on this, if it chronos below about 330, say nothing & play on, no harm no foul 🤔

all you need is the weight of ammo.

the diameter is irrelevant for muzzle energy calculations, indeed it only comes into play if you're trying to work out things like drag/magnus lift but that's well beyond the scope of what a site needs to do.

it isn't all that hard to take X energy and print out a strip for all the common bb weights showing the appropriate fps, sites are just too wedded to the whole chrono'ing on .2's thing.

I remember batting someone in the forehead with my little marushin cop years ago and he went of complaining to the Marshall.  Was only about 250ish on 0.2g . I tend to just use my 8mm they're only little anyway.

No, they had no idea there were 8mm bbs and were adamant I am wrong.

Tempted to just take it and see what they say in person, but would be nice to know beforehand.

And it's gas, low power stuff though.

received_343224307008447.jpeg

I'd be testing that the bb's themselves don't shatter. Other than that, if it's not a high fps through the chrono then invite marshels to be shot with it to see if they can tell the difference or not.  

9 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I'd be testing that the bb's themselves don't shatter. Other than that, if it's not a high fps through the chrono then invite marshels to be shot with it to see if they can tell the difference or not.  

Yeah. Though the bbs are still in production, and guns are still made in 8mm for the JDM, and 0.27g bb in 8mm is going to be no more likely to shatter than a 0.2g 6mm.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

all you need is the weight of ammo.

the diameter is irrelevant for muzzle energy calculations, indeed it only comes into play if you're trying to work out things like drag/magnus lift but that's well beyond the scope of what a site needs to do.

it isn't all that hard to take X energy and print out a strip for all the common bb weights showing the appropriate fps, sites are just too wedded to the whole chrono'ing on .2's thing.

I know the science (kinda lol😳), I'm referring to waaaay back when even hop principles baffled some, but kinda weird that some sites can't get their head around it, or have n @Cromulon1994ever heard of 8mm.........flat earth non covid believers probably 🤪

Ps @Cromulon1994 that is sweet 👍

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I know the science (kinda lol😳), I'm referring to waaaay back when even hop principles baffled some, but kinda weird that some sites can't get their head around it.

honestly so many still don't.

you'll get places will kick you off for being 1fps over with the hop turned off but don't bother chrono'ing pistols or care about joule creep.

end of the day what matters is that the rounds your sending downrange in-game are within the specified energy limit.

• Supporters

Had a reply from Jamie  at F&O

"We do not support their use"

That's a shame.  I wonder what they'd say though if one of the marshals or owner's mates turned up with one.

Might be fun to take it along just to show them.

2 hours ago, Arwen said:

invite marshels to be shot with it

I'd offer to be shot with it.

Likewise with Chinesium lasers or anything else that you want to claim / show is safe: crash test that stuff yourself.

59 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

That's a shame.  I wonder what they'd say though if one of the marshals or owner's mates turned up with one.

Might be fun to take it along just to show them.

I'd offer to be shot with it.

Likewise with Chinesium lasers or anything else that you want to claim / show is safe: crash test that stuff yourself.

I would. And in theory i would have thought that the same power but impacting over a larger area would actually be less painful?

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

I would. And in theory i would have thought that the same power but impacting over a larger area would actually be less painful?

In theory yes, additionally it'll lose energy slightly faster than an equivalent 6mm projectile so at the same range it'll also have less energy to be transferring over that larger area.

Of course if its sub 1j at the muzzle then frankly such an argument is pointless anyway because it aint gonna be layin down that much hurt even point blank.

Well, I sold it. 

The hobby got a little out of hand and me and a mate set up Raresoft very recently so I stuck it on the page. It lasted a couple of minutes before being snapped up.

A bit gutted it's gone now.

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Well, I sold it. 

The hobby got a little out of hand and me and a mate set up Raresoft very recently so I stuck it on the page. It lasted a couple of minutes before being snapped up.

A bit gutted it's gone now.

Got a link to your page ?

9 hours ago, Tackle said:

Got a link to your page ?

Currently only on facebook, been doing this just over a week. We built up some stuff, expected to do one or two a week and everything just flew out so we haven't got too much at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/Raresoftuk/

• Supporters

Currently only on facebook, been doing this just over a week. We built up some stuff, expected to do one or two a week and everything just flew out so we haven't got too much at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/Raresoftuk/

Thanks, but how are you getting away with the whole FB "gun" thing, they're usually all over this stuff like a tramp on chips ?

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Rules are different for business pages.

That's how patrol base ect can advertise. Just can't discuss prices openly.

That's great for you guys, but hypocritical of FB, no doubt they make some money out of you ?

I would think fb do make a buck or two from them. Hypocrisy can be forgotten for a bag of coin!

Regards 

3 hours ago, Tackle said:

That's great for you guys, but hypocritical of FB, no doubt they make some money out of you ?

We haven't given mr Zuckerberg a penny.

Though he bombards us with ads for advertising now.

We will be setting up a website Asap though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.