Lipo Puffed up! Help!

Shamal

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As title says my 11.1v 1600mah battery has puffed up puffier than a puffer fish wiv mumps!

I know its terminal but what's safest way to deal with it now. Can I put it in water or just stand it in middle of lawn and wait for bonfire night lol (joke) 

How likely is it to go supernova?

Regards 

19 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Can I put it in water

Nope.

Best thing to do with it is to take it to the local tip, all should be offering a battery recycling option.

Provided you don't try to charge it, and treat it gentle it should be fine to transport. If it is worrying you then transport it buried in a bucket of dry sand.

9 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Nope.

Best thing to do with it is to take it to the local tip, all should be offering a battery recycling option.

Provided you don't try to charge it, and treat it gentle it should be fine to transport. If it is worrying you then transport it buried in a bucket of dry sand.

Ok thanks. I have a bag of building sand trouble is its damp.

👍

Regards 

Bag it then in a zip lock bag. To keep the water out. Before you bury it. This is only to hold the heat and flame in should it vent, I doubt it will.

The water shouldn't be a problem as if it's puffy it's still water/air tight. Some even say drop the battery in a saltwater bath to discharge them.

Personally I wouldn't want the risk of adding a process with unknown variables. Lithium loves to react with water.

7 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Bag it then in a zip lock bag. To keep the water out. Before you bury it. This is only to hold the heat and flame in should it vent, I doubt it will.

The water shouldn't be a problem as if it's puffy it's still water/air tight. Some even say drop the battery in a saltwater bath to discharge them.

Personally I wouldn't want the risk of adding a process with unknown variables. Lithium loves to react with water.

Ok got it. Will do as you advise.

👍

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Iceni said:

Sadly our taxes will pay for the whole lot going up in flames.

What I'd do is discharge it as far as possible using my iMax, bury it in the sand well away from any structures, then while wearing eye protection and gloves, drive a nail through it and enjoy the show.

I am 100% not recommending that.  Death is certain. But it's what I'd do.

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sadly our taxes will pay for the whole lot going up in flames.

What I'd do is discharge it as far as possible using my iMax, bury it in the sand well away from any structures, then while wearing eye protection and gloves, drive a nail through it and enjoy the show.

I am 100% not recommending that.  Death is certain. But it's what I'd do.

Haha yeah I have done that before to a 7.4v helicopter battery. Scared the bejesus out of me! Lol🥺

3 minutes ago, Predator EAT-14 said:

Lay it at the end of the garden and use for target practice 👍

Tried that and it only made dents in the battery 😕

Might be worth a try if you have an air rifle 😉

26 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Tried that and it only made dents in the battery 😕

Might be worth a try if you have an air rifle 😉

Haha dont encourage me.😈

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.