So. Real or Not

djben9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Schnakey said:

I'll stand by that statement. I'd wager that the places you see Inrange/Iain 'Walt' Harrison/etc shooting are usually only there for the day and the barricades etc come down for the normal function of the range. 

I have worked ranges shot at ranges in various countries including ones that host practical shooting/ tactical courses and they are invariably the same. Covered during point, big open bit then a backstop of some sort. 

The big open bit is the bit you see on YouTube because they're actually on the range past the firing points. They hire the whole thing out and do what they want essentially but that wouldn't be what you would see if you went to the range. You'd see the same cookie cutter covered during points. 

You might see tyres and barricades off to the side or in storage for when practical shooting happens but as a general rule absolutely no-one is going out looking for interesting things to shoot from behind and making ranges that way for general use. The normal function or ranges is not practical/sass etc it's usually people firing slowly from fixed firing points. YouTube has given a very skewed view of this because shooting and moving gets a lot more viewers. 

Tbf you've just described the exact circumstances that are going on in that photo.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Tbf you've just described the exact circumstances that are going on in that photo.

I'd imagine so. 

17 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Earlier on you said ‘not how ranges work’ , but then this statement destroys your own argument ? 
Yes you have your traditional static firing point ‘bullseye’ target Ranges , but you also have the larger open space with movable obstacles types as well .

No, you don't. 

They are the same places and you see a small snapshot or a private event or competition, they aren't separate and they don't generally run like that, it's occasional. A bit like me saying that all Airsoft is zombie games/filmsim.

It's one off, low numbers. People aren't firing from tyres in general use just because it looks like fun to fire from.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Schnakey said:

No, you don't. 

Ok that’s a sweeping statement to say the least , so the multiple ones I’ve seen on the internet and the one I personally visited last year don’t exist then ? 

So just to clarify, ranges with tyres isn't how ranges work but they do work if the tyres are removed at the end of that private shooting session after the range has been setup how they want, back to a traditional static range that you are likely to encounter if you just rock up to a range.

And that ranges purely for practical shooting probably do exist.  Like Mr Butler's range?

I don't think you can call Taran's private range a great example of a typical shooting range. Neither can you take Taran as a great example of the shooting community. 

Just to clarify, the small number of ranges that have barricades etc aren't just throwing them out for the public all the time. Most clubs in the UK and abroad are not doing practical shooting and I know that on ranges I've run/been involved with having people leaping about etc is about as far from what I want as anything else. 

Where there are barricades they will sometimes use tyres but it isn't that common and barely ever seen in the UK. You are far more likely to see a few repurposed sporting cages, cut plywood, IBCs etc.

We're taking this chap's thread way off topic here. Back to my first point, tyre barricades in a photo make it more likely to be Airsoft. 

I'm sorry but I think you're doubling down on nonsense here.  It's not a great example?  Perhaps it's not typical sure but it's a practical shooting range.  Sure, most tend to use empty drums, VTAC barricades or framed mesh or whatever.  Also, I don't see the relevance of dismissing Taran as an example of the shooting community.

No one ever said having such barricades is the norm for ranges.  My experience certainly mirrors yours.  I have not been to any ranges with tyre barricades but I know they're out there.  Of course they might not be available to your everyday civilian person.  This kind of shooting doesn't really exist in the UK so I don't see the point in arguing, "well, you don't see it in the UK".

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Schnakey said:

Where was it out of interest?

Arizona . There on the increase , it belonged to a business that had several ranges around the states , you had two ranges on site one static shooting points and the other a large area with movable targets and baracades . Static you had a couple of marshals watching the shooting line and the other it was one to one had a big waiting list , luckily was a cancellation .

55 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I'm sorry but I think you're doubling down on nonsense here.  It's not a great example?  Perhaps it's not typical sure but it's a practical shooting range.  Sure, most tend to use empty drums, VTAC barricades or framed mesh or whatever.  Also, I don't see the relevance of dismissing Taran as an example of the shooting community.

No one ever said having such barricades is the norm for ranges.  My experience certainly mirrors yours.  I have not been to any ranges with tyre barricades but I know they're out there.  Of course they might not be available to your everyday civilian person.  This kind of shooting doesn't really exist in the UK so I don't see the point in arguing, "well, you don't see it in the UK".

55 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I've never seen it in the states either. Fair enough there probably are some as described above. 

I'd personally not count someone's private coaching range as much of a great example especially his brand of 'coaching'. 

Practical shooting definitely exists in the UK. 

Sure, go to NI and you can shoot normal 9mm handguns but it's not exactly straightforward to get into practical pistol shooting in the UK.  I don't count those horrible .22 monstrosities.  Hence my use of doesn't really.

• Supporters

I’m an A&E nurse , just because I haven’t seen a certain piece of equipment or a particular layout to Dept doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist dose it ? i think best thing we ALL can do is just accept like every other sport shooting is constantly evolving and just because you haven’t seen or heard of something in person again it doesn’t mean it’s not out there ?  

3 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Sure, go to NI and you can shoot normal 9mm handguns but it's not exactly straightforward to get into practical pistol shooting in the UK.  I don't count those horrible .22 monstrosities.  Hence my use of doesn't really.

PSG, mini rifle....

3 hours ago, Druid799 said:

I’m an A&E nurse , just because I haven’t seen a certain piece of equipment or a particular layout to Dept doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist dose it ? i think best thing we ALL can do is just accept like every other sport shooting is constantly evolving and just because you haven’t seen or heard of something in person again it doesn’t mean it’s not out there ?  

Well seeing as we're waggling job titles, I'm a range officer. How would you feel if I lectured you on patient care? 

1 hour ago, Schnakey said:

PSG, mini rifle....

I'm aware of PSG and mini rifle but they're not quite centre fire pistol and rifle which are my main interests therefore specifying practical pistol shooting in my posts.

• Supporters

Well seeing as we're waggling job titles, I'm a range officer. How would you feel if I lectured you on patient care? 

Careful, your making an assumption that as he's a nurse, your more qualified to discuss ranges, likelihood is you probably couldn't be further from the truth 😏

• Supporters

wasn’t ‘waggling job titles’ was simply using my day job as an example of just because you have a particular career doesn’t necessarily mean you know everything about the field you work in ?

Err I believe your the only ones who’s been lecturing ? the rest of us are simply pointing out there can be different ranges out there .

And yes as the good mr Tackle said I have spent a fair bit of time on ranges in a previous life .

• Supporters

Look mate I’ve obviously bruised your ego I’m sorry for that , But please don’t be cock it just makes you look like even more of a tool .

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Super64 said:

Damn, I thought Mack’s thread was entertaining until I started reading this 🤭 

Thing is, Mack's is meant to be entertaining, but this is just a case of some flat earthers refusing to accept they could be wrong sometimes 😜

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Posted without comment...

God dam it ! Why’d you have to post this ! Just spent the past hr trawling through his channel ! 😫

”just one more vid !” 🤦‍♂️
😂😂👍

On 10/10/2020 at 10:46, Speedbird_666 said:

Umm...why? Has he offended you in some way?

I echo what Tackle says.  Anyone with a constant need to seek the verification of others via posts on Instagram with #lookatmebeingallheroic is a bellend.  Some of us deploy and say fuck all and expect fuck all.  This modern need to display your whole life on social media is sad.  Thats why hes a bellend.  Being military, I don't like walting showoffs.  But hey, opinions etc.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.