So. Real or Not

djben9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

image.thumb.png.de7b18bab35612d15158d561bb8dc8c7.png

i dont know the answer, i just saw it on UKT twitter post!

im leaning towards real.....because he doesn't have his nose covered....:lol::lol::rolleyes:

100% Airsoft. Main giveaways - rail camo on the rifle.  Usage of 'call sign' tabs on the arms, too many patches.  I doubt an SF soldier would ever refer to themselves as a Crowbag (patch on helmet). If you look at the mag in the rifle you can just see the orange strip to show BB level.  Overall hes too clean, and also look at the background, since when do you see real SF clearly in what an airsoft site with loads of tyres for barriers?

A bit of common sense applied and you can see its Airsoft.  

• Moderators

i picked up some of the above when i saw the pic.....actually thought it was a site i played at at first!v:lol:

i was just being sarcastic with the nose covering!:lol:

maybe they will post the answer, i'll keep an eye out and reply :D

Only thing that makes it questionable to me is that no one would use tyres as cover in a real steel environment.

Rounds tend to go through them like shit through a goose especially at closer ranges. 

This is the same reason you tend not to see people behind breeze blocks!

7 minutes ago, Dogsbody100 said:

Only thing that makes it questionable to me is that no one would use tyres as cover in a real steel environment.

Rounds tend to go through them like shit through a goose especially at closer ranges. 

This is the same reason you tend not to see people behind breeze blocks!

"Real steel" doesn't necessarily imply that you are getting shot at, nor does it imply military, law enforcement or anything else for that matter. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that a "real steel" range (aka a "range") would use tyres as a cost effective way of having something interesting from which to shoot from/behind/under/through etc 

There's a RS range that Colion Noir appears to live at and that is practically made of car tyres.

As for the mag, RS Pmags (at least some generations) have a section of their spring painted orange as a low round indicator which explains that orange being visible.

15 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

"Real steel" doesn't necessarily imply that you are getting shot at, nor does it imply military, law enforcement or anything else for that matter. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that a "real steel" range (aka a "range") would use tyres as a cost effective way of having something interesting from which to shoot from/behind/under/through etc 

Point taken, maybe ‘not airsoft’ or ‘live firing’ maybe? Point I was making was that I personally avoided tyres and ‘soft’ cover for the reasons stated (the goose analogy) and it was heavily emphasised to avoid them. 

It seems a little counter productive to train people with piles of tyres which they may inadvertently run to in a genuine situation. 

That said I wouldn’t be at all surprised if ranges did use them just none of the ones I trained on ever did. 

They also seem much more common in airsoft which additionally led me to think it was not ‘real/live’. 

If it’s real then hey, it’s real! :) 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Rifle, mags and rounds are all real.  I'd say the same for the Glock and TQ.  Eastern European SF (or ex mil) training on the range at a guess.

All right, tiger, simmer down.

On 07/10/2020 at 14:47, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

That isn't really how ranges work.

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, Schnakey said:

That isn't really how ranges work.

i dunno, ever seen the sort of stuff the yanks use for their 2/3 gun matches? plenty of tyres, wooden barricades etc in play.

Not going to lie at first I did think this was Airsoft with the tires na'll looking like a typical site, however.... @GeorgePlaysAirsoft is right, his instagram does show him and the same gun pumping 5.56 down a range (complete with tire barricades). Sorry lads, unfortunately not 100% airsoft, good call.

I'll stand by that statement. I'd wager that the places you see Inrange/Iain 'Walt' Harrison/etc shooting are usually only there for the day and the barricades etc come down for the normal function of the range. 

I have worked ranges shot at ranges in various countries including ones that host practical shooting/ tactical courses and they are invariably the same. Covered during point, big open bit then a backstop of some sort. 

The big open bit is the bit you see on YouTube because they're actually on the range past the firing points. They hire the whole thing out and do what they want essentially but that wouldn't be what you would see if you went to the range. You'd see the same cookie cutter covered during points. 

You might see tyres and barricades off to the side or in storage for when practical shooting happens but as a general rule absolutely no-one is going out looking for interesting things to shoot from behind and making ranges that way for general use. The normal function or ranges is not practical/sass etc it's usually people firing slowly from fixed firing points. YouTube has given a very skewed view of this because shooting and moving gets a lot more viewers. 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Umm...why? Has he offended you in some way?

My guess, & an opinion I'd share, would be that irrespective of being a real steel shooter, if he's not actually military/PMC, why's he decked out like one, wearing almost every conceivable bit of kit that a professional might wear for genuine combat ?, lots of unnecessary kit just for walting it up ?.

Of course the same could be said for airsofters 🤣

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Schnakey said:

I'll stand by that statement. I'd wager that the places you see Inrange/Iain 'Walt' Harrison/etc shooting are usually only there for the day and the barricades etc come down for the normal function of the range. 

I have worked ranges shot at ranges in various countries including ones that host practical shooting/ tactical courses and they are invariably the same. Covered during point, big open bit then a backstop of some sort. 

The big open bit is the bit you see on YouTube because they're actually on the range past the firing points. They hire the whole thing out and do what they want essentially but that wouldn't be what you would see if you went to the range. You'd see the same cookie cutter covered during points. 

You might see tyres and barricades off to the side or in storage for when practical shooting happens but as a general rule absolutely no-one is going out looking for interesting things to shoot from behind and making ranges that way for general use. The normal function or ranges is not practical/sass etc it's usually people firing slowly from fixed firing points. YouTube has given a very skewed view of this because shooting and moving gets a lot more viewers. 

Earlier on you said ‘not how ranges work’ , but then this statement destroys your own argument ? 
Yes you have your traditional static firing point ‘bullseye’ target Ranges , but you also have the larger open space with movable obstacles types as well .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.