Cherry Picking Every Single Part of the Gun

XukeLho

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, lately I've wanted to switch from AEG to HPA and I got the crazyest ideia: why don't I literally build my own gun by cherry picking every single part that goes into it. No doner gun. Totally from strach! I understand alot of people will recommend something like an MTW or to upgrade an doner gun, but I feel like by doing this, not only will it be super instructional, I would also get a sense of fulfillment when I've completed the project and everytime I'd take the gun to a game! Not to mention I'd have something completely mine. What do you guys think? Is this too much of a crazy ideia or people actually do this often?

I'd like to update this post with the parts that I'll be picking to get some feedback from more experienced players.

• Supporters

While I know less than nothing about the workings of hpa kit, the general rule of thumb of literally EVERYTHING in the world that has multiple working parts is that the sum total of those parts always adds up to a higher amount compared to a complete item, so while I get what your aiming for, unless you've got very deep pockets I wouldn bother, plus my understanding is that while no hpa/gbbr set-up bought over the counter is 100% perfect, most brands are reasonably competent with only a few bits needing tweaking.

IMHO

I’ve done it once on a HPA build and wouldn’t want do it again. Unless someone absolutely has their heart set on doing it I wouldn’t recommend it, even more so because this will be your first HPA setup.

Having been there and done it, was I to go down the HPA route again I’d likely pick up an MTW and save myself the headaches... granted the bulk of my headaches were more attached the receivers not playing ball with the front end more than the internals.

You do you at the end of the day, but it seems to me from your posts of late that you haven’t really settled on what you actually want. I’d figure that out ahead of anything else.

It's the small elements of a receiver that are a pain to source. Pins,unusual screws spacers. There's no great satisfaction cherry picking every part and in fact more likely to find incompatibility problems. Find something that is already as close to what you are after that will also comfortably fit the hpa engine. Or just get an mtw.

Don't.

HPA guns require perfect alignments. By how "standard" airsoft parts are, my best guess is that it'll turn out at least twice more expensive than buying a MTW.

• Supporters

it can be done, but tbh you aren't gaining anything.

what is key is getting the gearbox (engine), hop and barrel aligned to be perfectly square and tight, and whilst you can do it yourself its a shitload easier to just have a manufacturer toleranced matching set.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.