Ukara Maintenance

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Mine's recently lapsed and I haven't skirmished much this year (only played 4 - 5 times and only one of those was at the site I'm registered with). Is there actually any stated criteria for getting it renewed?

In previous years I played at least once a month at the same site, so just dropped them a line and they sorted it but they may barely remember me now!

You just need to play once a year after the UKARA is issued to you. (At least with my registered site) Contact them and say you played at roughly such and such date and they "Should" Renew it for you. 

Yeah, I've deffo played there at least once in the last 12 months. Believe as it's fewer than six times they'll charge me a tenner admin fee though.

23 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Yeah, I've deffo played there at least once in the last 12 months. Believe as it's fewer than six times they'll charge me a tenner admin fee though.

That's a bit terrible. Should be free. 

Yeah Im fed up of sites basically charging for UKARA, Ive yet to have mine at a site that didnt charge some kind of fee for it, usually a "well UKARA is free but in order to prove it you need an annual membership at our site which is £X and we wont stamp your UKARA form til you pay it"

But hey its minimal cost and whats the point in fighting it when youre not gonna win.

I don't even plan to buy any more RIF's for the foreseeable. Would rather have it just as a defence for the ones I already own though.

35 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I don't even plan to buy any more RIF's for the foreseeable. Would rather have it just as a defence for the ones I already own though.

You don’t need UKARA as a defence to possess, so if it’s going to cost you for site membership to maintain then it becomes less valuable.

Unless you wanted to retain ‘continuity’ to avoid the need to get all the qualifying games in place to qualify to purchase in the future 

16 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Would rather have it just as a defence for the ones I already own though.

As I understand it,

1) you need no defense to own

2) the UKARA is a retailer thing, not a legal requirement, it is the retailer wanting something to prove that they did check A defense if something were to ever go to court. ( i do NOT advocate trying to bypass the ukara, especially because it shows we have a defense when buying).

3) We cannot be sure that it would even work until there is some precedent in court, and i honestly hope people are responsible enough that it does not come to that because we dont need the bad rep.

17 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

As I understand it,

1) you need no defense to own

2) the UKARA is a retailer thing, not a legal requirement, it is the retailer wanting something to prove that they did check A defense if something were to ever go to court. ( i do NOT advocate trying to bypass the ukara, especially because it shows we have a defense when buying).

3) We cannot be sure that it would even work until there is some precedent in court, and i honestly hope people are responsible enough that it does not come to that because we dont need the bad rep.

When I had Police turn-up asking questions, I felt much better being able to say "I'm a UKARA registered airsofter"

What about when your UKARA was issued from one site but is now closed and you now play at another? Do you keep your number or do you have to reregister?

• Supporters
On 04/10/2020 at 09:52, slipperysquid said:

What about when your UKARA was issued from one site but is now closed and you now play at another? Do you keep your number or do you have to reregister?

If it's still valid then you should be able to get the number revalidated by the new site, if it's lapsed then you'll get a new number. I had the exact same thing myself when The Mall shut.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

If it's still valid then you should be able to get the number revalidated by the new site, if it's lapsed then you'll get a new number. I had the exact same thing myself when The Mall shut.

That's surprising, as numbers are specific to sites, or rather to site owners.  Was it another Zed Adventures site that renewed you?

In any case, it would be entirely up to the new site whether they want to put their name to your number.  What if you're a complete whanger?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

That's surprising, as numbers are specific to sites, or rather to site owners.  Was it another Zed Adventures site that renewed you?

In any case, it would be entirely up to the new site whether they want to put their name to your number.  What if you're a complete whanger?

No, it was Red Alert. Largely irrelevant as my UKARA ran out anyway so they issued me a new one.

I booked a game with them this weekend and asked for it to be renewed. Apparently their magic number is at least four times a year with them but just happy it's sorted and I didn't need to pay an admin fee 😁

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.