Fitting New Handguard

Luke-airsoft19

Recently brought a new rail system, to replace my old one. Never tried fitting one before and wasn't sure how to do it, there's a slight gap between the top rail on the handguard and the upper receiver, about 1mm maybe 2mm yet I don't feel I can get the barrel nut tighter without damaging something, just wondered if this was normal, or would I be fine trying to get the barrel nut on further?! IMG_20200930_181212.thumb.jpg.6d87981af5c8b35fa1e335fa2586d0e3.jpg

I've seen worse on out-of-the-box guns.

It's a plastic receiver - I wouldn't torque it down any further. If the rail is solid, with no wobble, then leave it. You can always move the red dot further forward to cover the gap.

Is the rail an Aliexpress jobbie? Looks pretty good on there IMO.

It's solid and doesn't wobble, just really annoying that its so close. 

It's a nuprol bocca series II I believe, the standard one was just abit short so I wanted something abit longer! received_774964110016823.thumb.jpeg.73e5f240252ff2f3642c180ee19edea2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I've seen worse on out-of-the-box guns.

It's a plastic receiver - I wouldn't torque it down any further. If the rail is solid, with no wobble, then leave it. You can always move the red dot further forward to cover the gap.

Is the rail an Aliexpress jobbie? Looks pretty good on there IMO.

It's a nuprol bocca series II I believe, the standard one was just abit short so I wanted something abit longer! 

If you haven't already, grease the receiver threads before screwing the nut on. You may be able to get another quarter-turn or so to close the gap slightly. Makes removal easier too.

But be really frigging careful.

Personally, I would run it as-is. No one, except you, will ever really notice it in the safe zone.

5 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

If you haven't already, grease the receiver threads before screwing the nut on. You may be able to get another quarter-turn or so to close the gap slightly. Makes removal easier too.

But be really frigging careful.

Personally, I would run it as-is. No one, except you, will ever really notice it in the safe zone.

Is there any particular grease you'd use or just standard run of the mill? 

It's pretty tight as is so maybe just leaving it as is would be best, you can only notice up close anyway! Thanks for the advice... Really appreciate it 😁

25 minutes ago, Luke-airsoft19 said:

It's a nuprol bocca series II I believe, the standard one was just abit short so I wanted something abit longer! received_774964110016823.thumb.jpeg.73e5f240252ff2f3642c180ee19edea2.jpeg

It's a nuprol bocca series II I believe, the standard one was just abit short so I wanted something abit longer! 

in that picture it looks like the rail is tight against the receiver at the top, if so you wont get the fit lower down any tighter without modding the top section

2 minutes ago, Nick G said:

in that picture it looks like the rail is tight against the receiver at the top, if so you wont get the fit lower down any tighter without modding the top section

It's the shadow from the lighting the top is just a fraction off maybe 1mm or 2mm,but I did forget to grease it. 

The receiver is polymer, but the threaded portion is made of metal and I believe you can replace it, although you'll need to salvage the part from another upper, as nobody seems to be selling spares. It ends up being cheaper to replace the whole upper.

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be fair, it looks like it's a G&G thing, my ARP-9 has an Ares M-Lok rail and there's a gap too (but it's much wider than yours, like 2-3mm at least).

Also, it appears that Nuprol rails are of a much higher quality than Ares ones.

I had this issue when installing a DD rail on a G&P SAI receiver, the solution for me was to send the parts off to Future Tech who I believe shortened the thread on the receiver to allow the rail to butt right up :)

• 3 years later...
On 01/10/2020 at 12:22, Skara said:

The receiver is polymer, but the threaded portion is made of metal and I believe you can replace it, although you'll need to salvage the part from another upper, as nobody seems to be selling spares. It ends up being cheaper to replace the whole upper.

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be fair, it looks like it's a G&G thing, my ARP-9 has an Ares M-Lok rail and there's a gap too (but it's much wider than yours, like 2-3mm at least).

Also, it appears that Nuprol rails are of a much higher quality than Ares ones.

I want to add a front vertical grip and a light but I do not want the upper hand guard rail. I do not plan on optics of any kind. I just want a VG, light, and a tech sights peep. I want an aimpoint but I know I will never get one. I always end up getting a new gun instead lol. Plus red dots + astigmatism suck anyways. I was wondering if the bottom section of the tapco hand guard is worth a damn? I had originally planned on a akoptionsllc romanian handguard, but that is 100$ and I would like something more easily removable. I like to remove my lower hand guards and my uppers when I clean my 74. So does anyone have any ideas?

I want to add a front vertical grip and a light but I do not want the upper hand guard rail. I do not plan on optics of any kind. I just want a VG, light, and a tech sights peep. I want an aimpoint but I know I will never get one. I always end up getting a new gun instead lol. Plus red dots + astigmatism suck anyways. I was wondering if the bottom section of the tapco hand guard is worth a damn? I had originally planned on a MI hand guard, but that is 100$ and I would like something more easily removable. I like to remove my lower hand guards and my uppers when I clean my 74. So does anyone have any ideas?