Best Externals Colt Commando Out There?

ziCk_

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm after classic M4 CQB design, no rails or other fancy stuff. Any ideas which manufacturer out there makes THE BEST (externally, quality upper and lower) Colt Commando look-a-like? Eventually which would be the best base to adapt with aftermarket furniture? No Colt markings needed.

R0933-2__45335.1548700182.jpg

When you say "Colt Commando look-a-like", are you just talking a short/CQB barrel AR with plastic hand guards? As a Colt Commando implies one of the retro AR15 variants with a fixed carry handle, no shell deflector, skinny grips etc but you've posted what appears to be an M4. 

36 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

As a Colt Commando implies one of the retro AR15 variants with a fixed carry handle, no shell deflector, skinny grips etc but you've posted what appears to be an M4. 

Colt Commando is basically short M4...

Either fixed or removable carry handle is alright (early had fixed, late had removable, either way it's gonna stay on). Ideally something like this but AEG (this is gutted WE GBB with M16A1/A2 parts):

67100866_700948653679692_298360696469454

20 minutes ago, Schnakey said:

If you're specifically after a colt 733/XM177 it's basically just Marui or g&p I think.

That would be prefferable variant, if possible. 

6 minutes ago, ziCk_ said:

Colt Commando is basically short M4...

Either fixed or removable carry handle is alright (early had fixed, late had removable, either way it's gonna stay on). Ideally something like this but AEG (this is gutted WE GBB with M16A1/A2 parts):

67100866_700948653679692_298360696469454

That would be prefferable variant, if possible. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15#Colt_Commando_(AKA:_CAR-15,_XM177_&_GAU-5)

6 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

On the same page, few paragraphs below in Post-Vietnam era:

Though Colt has focused its attention on carbines with 14.5-inch (370 mm) barrels and rifles with 20-inch (510 mm) barrels, Colt continues to make carbines with 11.5 inches (290 mm) barrels, which it calls Commandos. Originally, Commandos were assembled from whatever spare parts were available, so Model 733 Commandos could have A1-style upper receivers with case deflectors or A2-style upper receivers, and M16A1-profile 1:7 or M16A2-profile 1:7 barrels.

Either way it's unimportant, pictures were provided. Question is which make of AEG M4 to pick to best fit the task. I ask because the only M4 I have is ICS HERA, I mostly fiddled with all sorts of AKs so it's kind of uncharted territory for me.

Eh, just saying that without an M4 or 933 prefix, Commando envisages a retro AR15 for most people.

Anyway, back to your thread.  I'm intrigued as to why you want the "best, externally, quality" but you're not bothered about Colt markings.  If you really want the best, you'll have to go GBBR with either Viper Tech or Prime.

8 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Anyway, back to your thread.  I'm intrigued as to why you want the "best, externally, quality" but you're not bothered about Colt markings.  

So the pot metal or plastics don't break in half while manhandling. I may or may not have destroyed couple of poorly made replicas in the past... I see G&P M733 fits the bill visually (even has them markings) but they're unavailable everywhere (and again, what are they made of?)

If you want the classic XM177 look for decent price then I can recommend this one: https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/m-4a-j-g-works?from=listing&campaign-id=20

Shoots well and all metal for the feels 😉

Or this one which has MOSFET: https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-009f-mosfet-edition-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=20

Any gun will break if you abuse it...

9 minutes ago, EDcase said:

If you want the classic XM177 look for decent price then I can recommend this one: https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/m-4a-j-g-works?from=listing&campaign-id=20

Or this one which has MOSFET: https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-009f-mosfet-edition-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=20

these do look badass, cool af 😎 

On 29/09/2020 at 15:06, EDcase said:

Aren’t CYMA’s and JG’s M4s made out of ZnAl (pot metal) though? 

On 29/09/2020 at 15:06, EDcase said:

Of course, there are just different levels of abuse one can take. ZnAl will crumble under stress, depending on the amount of Zn content - usually more the cheaper it is. On the other hand I can throw my steel AK like a javelin and it’s mostly ok (plastic grip will break and external barrel and post is made out of shit metal) - yeah, that happened, unintentionally though.

9 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

I yanked these out of the new E&C catalog

image.png.7d2e3d8cf29921bb7fca605b3a800d6a.png

These look very promising indeed even has functional bolt catch and Colt markings, never held E&C in my life though (are they any good?), they don’t seem to be widely available, let alone these particular models. 

10 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

I laughed....once I looked up what that meant 🙂

that is lovely mate... @EDcase

I yanked these out of the new E&C catalog
image.png.7d2e3d8cf29921bb7fca605b3a800d6a.png

Nice - looks like they've got the thin retro handguards - now the question is, where to find them in stock within the UK/EU, I want an M733.

Edit - found some better pics: http://www.ec-airsoft.com/html_products/M733-251.html

I want one for a Gothic Serpent build.

14 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

now the question is, where to find them in stock within the UK/EU, I want an M733.

Don’t forget to drop me a message when you do find them. Hell, even outside of UK (just not US, the shipping costs to Europe are outrageous comparing to anywhere else in the known universe... well, maybe except Australia and New Zealand too xD).

here’s video overview (not really review, despite the title):

interestingly this one has shell deflector while the one on EC site doesn’t yet both are same model o.0

10 minutes ago, ziCk_ said:

Don’t forget to drop me a message when you do find them. Hell, even outside of UK (just not US, the shipping costs to Europe are outrageous comparing to anywhere else in the known universe... well, maybe except Australia and New Zealand too xD).

here’s video overview (not really review, despite the title):

interestingly this one has shell deflector while the one on EC site doesn’t yet both are same model o.0

Nice markings. The upper is an A2 type with the associated A2 rear sight. I like the A1 type on the E&C website.

To me, this gun looks cooler than anything with a rail system:

10 hours ago, ziCk_ said:

These look very promising indeed even has functional bolt catch and Colt markings, never held E&C in my life though (are they any good?), they don’t seem to be widely available, let alone these particular models. 

For me E&C produce the best quality M4 range in China.  The XM1 should retail under 200USD.  However if you're looking for stronger receivers you need to be looking at machined aluminium.  

6 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

For me E&C produce the best quality M4 range in China.  The XM1 should retail under 200USD.  However if you're looking for stronger receivers you need to be looking at machined aluminium.  

I don't suppose you are getting any more gearboxes in your next E&C consignment @ak2m4

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.