Se Tour Review: Gunman: Camp Bravo (Hampshire)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Gunman Airsoft: Camp Bravo

Contact details: 07546 426 310

Website Address: https://www.gunmanairsoft.co.uk/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/gunmancampbravo

Site Address: Eversley, Hampshire, RG27 0PY

@Albiscuit and I were down to play the new Z-Mart, when the notice came through that it would not go ahead due to new government restrictions, we booked in for Gunman Camp Bravo. (Z-Mart then re-opened and we got a refund back). We were a little disappointed not to be able to play in a Debenhams but decided to make the best of it!

Gunman is a well established name in Airsoft that needs no introduction. This would be my third encounter of a Gunman run day. We recently went to Tuddenham and had a reasonably good experience. 

Camp Bravo is the secondary/backup site to Alpha just around the corner. Bravo is used for regular skirmishes where Alpha is used for Film, Mil and Battlesims. Based within a large section of mixed Hampshire woodland. Part of the site also hosts laser tag for the young'uns. I haven't much online reviews of Camp Bravo as it was a last minute backup plan, so was going into this blind. 

The woodland has a mix of very high trees and low to ground ferns, the safe zone and building area is set upon a plateau, where from a track winds down a hill into far more dense and overgrown woodland with a stream and boggy ground, followed by a heavy fern opening in the tree cover and steep slopes climbing up towards Camp Alpha. 

Medium distance engagement is predominant here. 

Good:

Playing Area/Natural Features: The natural features of the site are top notch. You enter onto the site with very high trees and foliage and a large clearing that is used for the safe zone, camping and village areas. There village area is onto of a plateau that plunges through a track and into a thicker lower woodland section on the North side and a more open fern section on the South side. 

I am a huge fan of hiding in ferns as the provide excellent camouflage, you see little of it in UK woodland and there plenty here. The ground can get a little boggy in the middle of the site, but further on it climbs back up to a drier area. It was quite a large site and most of the games were close to the Safe Zone and village so I didn't get a good look everywhere, but from what I saw was very good. 

There was a small section to the North of the safe zone used at the end of the day for CQB action, there were plenty of low and medium height barriers, it wasn't particularly unique, but we weren't expecting it from a woodland site and it was a great way to end the day. You could stay at a distance as well if you aren't inclined to get hurt and still get a few kills. 

Safe Zone(s): The Safe zone was fairly large and could easily accommodate the COVID 19 restricted numbers. There were a number of large tents to set up in with lighting, tables and chairs. There is also a camping section right next to it which seemed nice and level. The parking area was just a few steps away. Some of the tables could have done with a clean, but otherwise nothing wrong at all!

Shop: An on-site shop with a small selection of pistols (Raven and WE), 3-4 AEGS and a selection of Tac gear, gas and BB's. 

Food: A large selection available, There is a breakfast menu and even beans on toast! Burgers had to be pre-ordered ahead of time. Basically a really large selection available. I couldn't comment on the quality or taste as myself and Al brought our own food this time. 

Safety Brief: Was pretty good and explained everything quite well. Would have been better if some of the regulars would shut up behind us, struggled to hear at times. 

Clientele: Al And I were in a tent to ourselves so we didn't mingle much. However once on the field everyone stuck together, made plans and discussed tactics. Usual discussions about gear. Most players were in their 20's. Rentals were absolutely fine.

Feeling Good: One of those rare days where both myself and Al had a fantastic day, we could have gone for at least two more games come the end due to the adrenaline. We both performed quite well on the day and left on a good (Clean and natural) high. 

LMG fun: The site is semi-auto only unless you are using a heavyweight LMG. In which case there is a one second burst fire rule. I brought the only LMG of the day, I had a real blast, pretty sure I got into triple figures in kills and was a real asset to the team. Ran out of bb's and battery and had to switch to the AR for the last few rounds. If you have an LMG, this is the perfect site to maximise it's advantages. 

Average: 

Game Modes: Were pretty good. The first two games didnt involve armbands and as such and were quite confusing when working out who was on what team. We didn't think it worked well, but the rest of the day was excellent. Once the teams were picked out we had a blast, the best game of the day was the fallback games. Which used the border restriction which added much to the game. 

Value: £25 for the day was perfectly fair. 

Chrono: A mandatory chrono was in play. Guns were NOT marked. AEGS 350FPS, DMR's 400FPS and Bolties 500FPS. Chronoed with the BB's you brought. 

Turn around time: Was reasonable at around 15 minutes between games.

Marshalling: Marshalling was hands off in a good way. They stepped in when required and gave advice of good areas and angles to repel the other team. They did keep checking on hit taking. 

Hit taking: I had no huge issues with hit taking, the marshals brought it up at least twice during mission briefs, so there must have been a problem at some point. 

Toilets: 2 Portaloos that I saw. used one at the end of the day and it was in acceptable condition. Could be worse, though could be a fair bit better. 

Site Utilisation: I would have liked to see the denser woodland parts of the site used, they seemed very optional considering most games happened in and around the plateau, though we did have a fantastic time around that area!

Buildings: The buildings were of reasonable quality. With gaps between them so it's not "American" Killhouse style CQB. I used them as cover and didnt actually go inside one during the day. It had the right amount of buildings in the village area in my opinion. It would be nice to see more buildings out in the undergrowth though. 

Bad: 

Louder Whistle: A bit nit picky, on one game myself and Al separated and went far into the woods in a game of hunter. Neither of us heard the whistle to call the end of the game and I hid for a further 15 minutes before coming out to see what was up, only to run into my team going to the start point of the next game. Al didn't realise until two short games had started and finished! A siren or klaxon would be good! 

Conclusion: 

Al and I thoroughly enjoyed the day. We had low expectations being the Gunman "B Site", but we came away thinking, if this was the "B" site, imagine how good the "A" site would be! It's good classic woodland that is well run and fun to play. No unique selling point just good medium distance engagement fun. I think this would be a site that new players especially would appreciate as an introduction to Airsoft and good for experienced players who want to have a bit of exercise, but low risk and not serious. 

The site has a bit of "The Zoo" about it with the woodland sections and ferns. 

More utilisation of the entire site would be nice. It is clear the best sections are used most though so that utilisation will probably only come if those areas are opened up and improved on. 

In conclusion, had a great day, it was fun, low stress and would come back again. Though a Camp Alpha visit is now on the cards to see if it deserves the Alpha moniker! 

Bullpup Watch: Only my L85. Very disappointing. 

The map below is absolute best guess as we didn't use the whole site. 

273576358_CampBravo.thumb.png.d0b7ce2c9771b3e6aef31aa79d310dc1.png

5 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Louder Whistle: A bit nit picky, on one game myself and Al separated and went far into the woods in a game of hunter. Neither of us heard the whistle to call the end of the game and I hid for a further 15 minutes before coming out to see what was up, only to run into my team going to the start point of the next game. Al didn't realise until two short games had started and finished! A siren or klaxon would be good! 

Just want to point out its not the first time I have been the last survivor in a battle royal game :D  

I was so bored hiding, that I crept back towards the starting point, its only as I heard the end whistle for the next game (the one I hid through) and came out of hiding. If I had stayed put in my original spot I would likely still be out there haha.

Just now, Albiscuit said:

Just want to point out its not the first time I have been the last survivor in a battle royal game :D  

I was so bored hiding, that I crept back towards the starting point, its only as I heard the end whistle for the next game (the one I hid through) and came out of hiding. If I had stayed put in my original spot I would likely still be out there haha.

Technically I never died either so we both won ;)

The A 'site' is even better as it has a superb walled village and a Vietnam style firebase.  Easily my favourite woodland site and I hate woodland sites.  We will be using it for the Cold War game in November, so get your French kit ready!

14 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

The A 'site' is even better as it has a superb walled village and a Vietnam style firebase.  Easily my favourite woodland site and I hate woodland sites.  We will be using it for the Cold War game in November, so get your French kit ready!

Keep forgetting to mention I am still coming! Haven't paid much attention to it as of yet. 

Pretty certain they only want US and UK forces though. So probably cant go as French. 

41 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Keep forgetting to mention I am still coming! Haven't paid much attention to it as of yet. 

Pretty certain they only want US and UK forces though. So probably cant go as French. 

Ask on the FB forum, I am sure Josh won't care tbh as he will need all the revenue he can get. You can always come WARPAC :p 

19 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Ask on the FB forum, I am sure Josh won't care tbh as he will need all the revenue he can get. You can always come WARPAC 😛

Is there any info on this?

Im interested but not on FB

5 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Is there any info on this?

Im interested but not on FB

https://www.gunmanairsoft.co.uk/event/red-mist-32-end-game/

https://coldwarairsoft.com/

This should have everything you need.

@Asomodai - great review by the way.  Gunman in Eversley is my local site and although I personally prefer the Alpha site because I'm more a fan of the Filmsim type games, you've pretty much covered what you get at the Bravo site.  The recently run "Hunger Games" Filmsim at Alpha was one of the best game days I've had in ages, dynamic, fun with a good mix of player experience and friendly attitudes.  Plus having three teams all trying for the same objectives kept things interesting. 

For me I think the other plus point is the briefings at Gunman Eversley do really emphasize the point that airsoft is a game of honour, and at the end of the day we are all running around the woods with toy guns, so don't take things too seriously and enjoy your day.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.