Perfecting Your Loadout, the Unsung Hero of Destroying Your Bank Account

alxndrhll

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

^^^^This. Unless you're doing a specific loadout of a real unit then go with what works for you 

and even if you are doing an impression loadout, only go as far as you're happy with, because there will always be a bigger stitch counter.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

^^^^This. Unless you're doing a specific loadout of a real unit then go with what works for you 

Even if you are doing a stitch counted larpy cosplay. As long as you're happy with it, nobody else's opinion matters. As long as you're not being a dick of course...

I tend to go looking like a lost hillwalker to be honest. I've tried a few different styles of belts and chest rigs and those waistcoat/jacket style things. Nothing is even remotely a good balance of comfortable and practical. Pretty much cause boobs get it in the way. Chest rigs have not been designed for women like me 😂

I borrowed a battle belt from my partner for my last game day, it's comfortable and I can fit enough stuff on it, but as soon as I run it "jumps" of my hips and then rotates around.... Annoying! 

So I'm going back to the carry less and attach it to a simple belt. -

1 or 2 high cap M4  flash mags,

Bfg pouch,

Short, horizontal pouch for general stuff on the back. 

I may eventually go back to running with a side arm, but not having it makes moving around much easier. I'm definitely a convert to the "light load out" style now. The cost savings a great too! 😅

3 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I tend to go looking like a lost hillwalker to be honest. I've tried a few different styles of belts and chest rigs and those waistcoat/jacket style things. Nothing is even remotely a good balance of comfortable and practical. Pretty much cause boobs get it in the way. Chest rigs have not been designed for women like me 😂

I borrowed a battle belt from my partner for my last game day, it's comfortable and I can fit enough stuff on it, but as soon as I run it "jumps" of my hips and then rotates around.... Annoying! 

Bfg pouch,

I may eventually go back to running with a side arm, but not having it makes moving around much easier. I'm definitely a convert to the "light load out" style now. The cost savings a great too! 😅

Have you tried a two part belt with a velcro inner? I run and jump over logs a lot and it doesn't shift

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

The ONLY thing that matters about a loadout is that you like it and it works for you. Everything else is irrelevant.

For sure, I guess I started the thread because I was curious as to how folks found what works for them. Whether that was making concessions on the stuff they carried with them, or sacrificing some comfort to ensure they can have it all on their person... or neither because they found that perfect piece of kit for what they needed.

I’ve found myself struggling with my balance of pistol mags for instance. Every time I take 4 I’ve only needed 2, and every time I’ve dropped to 2 I’ve found I could have done with 4... Sod’s law I guess!

10 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Bfg pouch,

I’m currently waiting on belt number 3 *rolls eyes* to show up and have my fingers crossed that this one will fix the ‘riding up’ issue. When I initially started this setup the plan was to just be a belt, but I just can’t get it to work for some reason or another... why I keep throwing money at it rather than settling for what I now have which works fine I’ll never know!

12 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

Have you tried a two part belt with a velcro inner? I run and jump over logs a lot and it doesn't shift

I first saw one of these last week and I was impressed! 

Going to have a look into them. They could very well be the answer! 😁

Just now, Arwen said:

I first saw one of these last week and I was impressed! 

Going to have a look into them. They could very well be the answer! 😁

I believe the FRV Shooters belt are somewhat of a favourite over here when it comes to this style of belt. I personally didn’t get on with it, but they are really well made at a competitive price versus the vast selection of similar belts.

Admittedly I haven't played many games (3) but I've made some adjustments here and there to my belt and harness set up.

I got myself in a good position defensively at my last game but couldn't properly feel where my VSR or MK23 mag pouches were while I was prone-ish. So my next game I'm trialing a butt stock pouch with 1 pistol mag and 1 vsr mag in it.

To throw a spanner in the works I'm looking at getting a Glock 18c as a third weapon to carry when I get found sniping and need an fun switch powered escape. Trying to figure out where it can live so it's not in the way but at hand quickly when needed!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, alxndrhll said:

For sure, I guess I started the thread because I was curious as to how folks found what works for them. Whether that was making concessions on the stuff they carried with them, or sacrificing some comfort to ensure they can have it all on their person... or neither because they found that perfect piece of kit for what they needed.

I’ve found myself struggling with my balance of pistol mags for instance. Every time I take 4 I’ve only needed 2, and every time I’ve dropped to 2 I’ve found I could have done with 4... Sod’s law I guess!

Oh, I agree it's a perfectly valid question. I guess the issue is that what works for one won't always work for another. When you come to wanting different loads for different guns then it gets all the more confusing! For instance, I mostly use M4's but I also have a couple of M14's, a G3 and an M249. One loadout won't work for everything! My first line kit doesn't change though. I have an OPS/UR-Tactical laser cut shooters belt (two part jobbie with a velcro inner) with (starting from my front left and moving around) two Esstac pistol pouches and one Esstac M4 pouch (although that may get swapped for a taco pouch so I can use it for M14 mags too), then a WAS slimline foldable dump pouch and a TMC small Crye style GP pouch. The rest is clear around to my pistol holster which is a Phoenix Tactical Echo kydex custom holter on an FMA adjustable drop leg adaptor (S&S style).

Second line I often run a Spiritus MK3 style chest rig with a triple M4 insert in the back and a double in the front (5 mags total). My last game I had an Emerson UW Gen IV rig set up for my M4 so I put the 7.62 adaptors in the MK3 rig for the M14. If I'm running the M249 then it's either no chest rig or PC or maybe a slick armour carrier.

Much like most airsofters that have been playing a while, I've been through many iterations of gear. I have rigs with a bit more protection for the squishy middle aged parts for CQB games, I have lightweight gear for running around in the woods. I have however learned to not bother with all the crap I don't need - for instance I bought a silencer pouch to hold my tracer for my SCAR. Thing is it's either empty because the tracer is on the gun or it's empty because it isn't dark and I'm not running a tracer. So the pouch is sat in a drawer. I have a radio pouch and a vest antenna on my AVS rig for when I want to cut about running comms but quite often the rest of the guys I play with have left their radios at home so now I just don't worry about it.

Apart from the Warrior stuff though pretty much everything I have is knock offs. I still have a passionate distrust of anything with Viper on it (mostly because it's no better than the shameless Chinese knock offs and more expensive) but the rest of it is plenty good enough for airsoft. I don't need to trust my life to my gear so barring eye pro and boots I'm just not that fussed.

10 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Oh, I agree it's a perfectly valid question. I guess the issue is that what works for one won't always work for another. When you come to wanting different loads for different guns then it gets all the more confusing! For instance, I mostly use M4's but I also have a couple of M14's, a G3 and an M249. One loadout won't work for everything! My first line kit doesn't change though. I have an OPS/UR-Tactical laser cut shooters belt (two part jobbie with a velcro inner) with (starting from my front left and moving around) two Esstac pistol pouches and one Esstac M4 pouch (although that may get swapped for a taco pouch so I can use it for M14 mags too), then a WAS slimline foldable dump pouch and a TMC small Crye style GP pouch. The rest is clear around to my pistol holster which is a Phoenix Tactical Echo kydex custom holter on an FMA adjustable drop leg adaptor (S&S style).

Second line I often run a Spiritus MK3 style chest rig with a triple M4 insert in the back and a double in the front (5 mags total). My last game I had an Emerson UW Gen IV rig set up for my M4 so I put the 7.62 adaptors in the MK3 rig for the M14. If I'm running the M249 then it's either no chest rig or PC or maybe a slick armour carrier.

Much like most airsofters that have been playing a while, I've been through many iterations of gear. I have rigs with a bit more protection for the squishy middle aged parts for CQB games, I have lightweight gear for running around in the woods. I have however learned to not bother with all the crap I don't need - for instance I bought a silencer pouch to hold my tracer for my SCAR. Thing is it's either empty because the tracer is on the gun or it's empty because it isn't dark and I'm not running a tracer. So the pouch is sat in a drawer. I have a radio pouch and a vest antenna on my AVS rig for when I want to cut about running comms but quite often the rest of the guys I play with have left their radios at home so now I just don't worry about it.

Apart from the Warrior stuff though pretty much everything I have is knock offs. I still have a passionate distrust of anything with Viper on it (mostly because it's no better than the shameless Chinese knock offs and more expensive) but the rest of it is plenty good enough for airsoft. I don't need to trust my life to my gear so barring eye pro and boots I'm just not that fussed.

Aye, I think the mistake I made starting off this time round was ONLY thinking about what it is I wanted to be carrying (for reference 2 SRS mags, 2-4 pistol mags, 2 small speedloaders, a Mk23 and hydration) and not for a second considering how I’m going to be using it. Which seems to be largely what you’re saying when it comes to different setups with different RIFs, it’s not always as simple as needing different sized mag pouches... and that’s the trap I fell into initially.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Aye, I think the mistake I made starting off this time round was ONLY thinking about what it is I wanted to be carrying (for reference 2 SRS mags, 2-4 pistol mags, 2 small speedloaders, a Mk23 and hydration) and not for a second considering how I’m going to be using it. Which seems to be largely what you’re saying when it comes to different setups with different RIFs, it’s not always as simple as needing different sized mag pouches... and that’s the trap I fell into initially.

Exactly, any gear you buy should be fit for purpose and that scope includes how you're using it not just "does it holds the right mags".

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.