Lonex Hop up Chamber and Some Other Stuff Too....

Which gun????

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a Specna Arms Edge E01 and i was hoping to upgrade my hopup chamber, bucking, nub and barrel all at the same time. I'm a tad of a amateur at tech and that so I was hoping for some advice...I am going for the out of the box performance with little to none modifying to any parts I'm buying, so please don't say to cut my own M-nub or something...coz I don't know how to do that 😕

What I have in mind was a madbull 6.03mm python vr.2 363mm tbb + gg green + firefly namazu flat hop nub (soft type) + lonex hop up(if i could find it in stock)

So what you guys thinking? You reckon everything I mentioned will fit my gun?

I live in UK so marketplace to buy some parts are limited...

++I know you guys will be saying not to replace anything until it breaks...but eh I'm doing it. I decided to replace the whole hop up and barrel setup so if i mess up the new products I brought, I could always refer to the old setup in pristine condition:)

Thanks for reading till the end...hope it wasn't too long winded

• Supporters

A flat nub is set up for a flat hop, if you arent going to cut down the g&g green into a flat hop then better off with a standard nub.

Generally i tend to run with either the ml macaron+ml omega nub combo, or the pdi w hop with standard nub combo

Both are standard fitment, no messing around trimming filing or gluing and in a gun with good fps consistency (which tbh is worth more of your time, money and effort than a new barrel or hop unit) will give decent to excellent performance.

In terms of barrels i like me a pdi 6.01 stainless, you gotta keep it clean and feed it good ammo but it does perform nicely. On a budget the zci 6.02 stainless barrels offer excellent bang for buck and would be my pick.

On the subject of madbull, their hop units and buckings i do not rate at all. For an m4 my pick would be the maxx, a damn fine unit but then you pay for it, i've heard good things about the zci plastic rotarys though i've not tried them personally.

Based on your other thread you have a prometheus unit lying around so i'd slap a zci barrel with a 50 degree pdi w hop and a standard nub in there and see how it goes, a spring or some o rings round the barrel to push it up tight to the gearbox will help with nozzle-feedlip seal.

55 minutes ago, Skara said:

Those who change hop units deserve their own ring in hell.

Ouch.

Anyway, to the OP: I would throw in a Macaron/Omega bucking and nub combo, polish/lap the stock brass barrel, use the stock rotary hop unit and call it done. No point chasing the rabbit down that particular hole for a Specna.

But that's not the answer you want to hear. So what @Adolf Hamster said.

Lonex chambers are nice but expect to have to sand down the arm to get it to fit.  Plus it's not Rotary.   Retro Arms and Maxx are 2 high-end, followed by SHS and ZCI.  Best advice is to not change the chamber unless you're prepared to have that as a spare if it doesn't properly work with the rest of the setup.  Lot of supply issues in the UK at the moment.

1 hour ago, Skara said:

Those who change hop units deserve their own ring in hell.

Nah dude, the large rotary dial hop units have two clear advantages over the older small side dial units; always makes sense in my mind to replace the older ones with a big dial.

They allow you to finely tune, and they tend not to undial from firing - I've replaced all my old mini dials with rotary units, the black plastic ZCIs are a good shout, inexpensive and so far seem to work with everything I pair them with.

2 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

Nah dude, the large rotary dial hop units have two clear advantages over the older small side dial units; always makes sense in my mind to replace the older ones with a big dial.

They allow you to finely tune, and they tend not to undial from firing - I've replaced all my old mini dials with rotary units, the black plastic ZCIs are a good shout, inexpensive and so far seem to work with everything I pair them with.

Specnas already have very good rotary chambers.

The SA Edge come with rotary chambers out of the box I believe.  

grrrr beat me to it 🙂

5 minutes ago, Skara said:

Specnas already have very good rotary chambers.

Ah fair enough then - I just took offense to the broader accusation in your comment, as I solidly fall into the category of hop unit replacers!  🤣

6 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

grrrr beat me to it 🙂

Hehe 😜

1 minute ago, Zarrin said:

Ah fair enough then - I just took offense to the broader accusation in your comment, as I solidly fall into the category of hop unit replacers!  🤣

@Skara does make a really good point though, the amount of issues I've come across from customers that changed their hop chamber and experienced issues is huge.  From a retailers perspective I would get customers wanted to return them stating "it doesn't work".  Every single return would be scratched up and then couldn't be sold on - had to put in a disclaimer now, once you fit you can no longer return unless in top condition.

1 minute ago, ak2m4 said:

@Skara does make a really good point though, the amount of issues I've come across from customers that changed their hop chamber and experienced issues is huge.  From a retailers perspective I would get customers wanted to return them stating "it doesn't work".  Every single return would be scratched up and then couldn't be sold on - had to put in a disclaimer now, once you fit you can no longer return unless in top condition.

Yeah I mean I am the disgruntled owner of a Madbull ultimate chamber - so I do understand. But as long as you realise and accept that fact (and have plenty of spares to test 😛) you'll usually find something that works.

• Supporters

I can see the op's point of view that he wants to keep the stock hop/barrel combo as a one-peice unit he can drop in if his newest setup doesnt work out as hoped.

Its not personally how i'd do it (speedbird's post is what i'd do), but i can see why he's wanting to do things the way he is.

Yeah I mean I am the disgruntled owner of a Madbull ultimate chamber - so I do understand.

The fact that their hop chamber doesnt fit their own damn hop rubbers (or anyone elses) is worrying.

Don't worry, I've fallen into the trap too.

When I got my Honey Badger I bought like 4 different hop chambers (including Retro Arms, Madbull and almost bought a MAXX too), guess which one is in my gun now? Yep, the stock Ares with the arm from the Madbull one :D

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

Don't worry, I've fallen into the trap too.

When I got my Honey Badger I bought like 4 different hop chambers (including Retro Arms, Madbull and almost bought a MAXX too), guess which one is in my gun now? Yep, the stock Ares with the arm from the Madbull one :D

And the tragedy of the matter is you probably just needed to pick up a ZCI Black for 8 quid and you would have been sorted... probably 😜

24 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

Yeah I mean I am the disgruntled owner of a Madbull ultimate chamber - so I do understand. But as long as you realise and accept that fact (and have plenty of spares to test 😛) you'll usually find something that works.

sadly the majority of airsofters don't realise this 😞 they think everything should work with everything else and get angry with the retailer when something doesn't work, even though told this may be the case. can't win

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

sadly the majority of airsofters don't realise this 😞 they think everything should work with everything else and get angry with the retailer when something doesn't work, even though told this may be the case. can't win

it's a message that needs to be iterated more often that you don't always need premium parts, but you do always need to put the thing together properly.

for example in this case i reckon the gains from doing a bit of air seal work are going to be more fruitful than swapping out the barrel. but in this case the op is being cautious and wary of his teching inexperience which in fairness is a wise move to be making.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i've heard good things about the zci plastic rotarys though i've not tried them personally

Another +1 from me, but +2 to not changing out the stock Specna rotary unit either unless it's broken.

Heck, I've got a JG G36 rotary unit that is actually broken, the ring snapped clean off.  I've obtained a replacement, but having glued the original back together, that's still in the gun because it still works.  There's little point in swapping out anything that's functioning OK.

On the subject of inner barrels, I do swap them over ONLY to fine tune the energy output (say I'm running 1.01J and I can't be arsed to nip the spring, so I go for a wider/shorter barrel to go back below 1J, it's mostly a matter of a hundredth of a millimetre in diametre or a centimetre in length).

37 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Hope you don't mind a mild thread hijack - can the specnas with rotary hop, hop .3-.32's? Thanks

Mine definitely can, with a 50° ML MR-Hop and Omega tensioner.

Haven't tried the stock rubber though.

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Hope you don't mind a mild thread hijack - can the specnas with rotary hop, hop .3-.32's? Thanks

i'd assume so, question is if the stock rubber is grippy enough. but as @Skara says popping in some maple leaf stuff will soon solve that problem

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2020 at 10:56, Skara said:

Mine definitely can, with a 50° ML MR-Hop and Omega tensioner.

Haven't tried the stock rubber though.

On 29/09/2020 at 10:59, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd assume so, question is if the stock rubber is grippy enough. but as @Skara says popping in some maple leaf stuff will soon solve that problem

Thanks both and sorry for the late reply.

For a bit of context, I'm in the market for a mk18 (another subject) but whilst I wouldn't consider myself a performance chaser, my minimum "tolerance" would be to hop a .3, preferably a .32. If I can do that out of the box, great - less faff, less money, less bullshit.

That being said, if it doesn't, I'd like to build to build a new hop and inner barrel combo so I can directly swap, leaving the stock one well... stock.

From this thread I've picked out:|

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/ZCI-brand/zci-rotary-hopup-chamber-plastic-m4

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-buckings-nubs/maple-leaf-macaron-50-aeg

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-buckings-nubs/maple-leaf-omega-nub

Have I missed anything? I'm really not technically minded, at all, and I'd probably have this done by a tech anyway. 

Finally, any recs on inner barrels? I'd like a quality one, but not necessarily a tight one. If I could get a decent 6.05 or 6.08 I'd be a happy chappy.

Thanks again!

George

I'd only swap the macaron for an AEG MR-Hop, as it's pretty much a straight drop in for Specna/ZCI chambers

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Thanks both and sorry for the late reply.

For a bit of context, I'm in the market for a mk18 (another subject) but whilst I wouldn't consider myself a performance chaser, my minimum "tolerance" would be to hop a .3, preferably a .32. If I can do that out of the box, great - less faff, less money, less bullshit.

That being said, if it doesn't, I'd like to build to build a new hop and inner barrel combo so I can directly swap, leaving the stock one well... stock.

From this thread I've picked out:|

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/ZCI-brand/zci-rotary-hopup-chamber-plastic-m4

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-buckings-nubs/maple-leaf-macaron-50-aeg

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hop-up-buckings-nubs/maple-leaf-omega-nub

Have I missed anything? I'm really not technically minded, at all, and I'd probably have this done by a tech anyway. 

Finally, any recs on inner barrels? I'd like a quality one, but not necessarily a tight one. If I could get a decent 6.05 or 6.08 I'd be a happy chappy.

Thanks again!

George

Inner barrel I'd go for this: https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/inner-barrels/zci-inner-barrel-285mm

• Supporters

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.