Laser Conversion - Shock, Horror!

Gasump

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

'Laserquest' type places seem to be getting more popular, partly due to better accuracy at longer ranges?

Has anyone carried out a conversion of an airsoft pistol/rifle? Seems a better way to get an accurate RIF then the 'taylor mades' that are for sale.

Any/all info useful.  Thanks.

I think this kind of thing is the future for airsoft.

If the sensors are small and easy to fit to any vest/helmet etc.

The motor in the rifle would be for recoil only.  There could be a flash unit in the barrel and a sound box would be cool.

Ultimate goal would be realistic flat trajectories at greater range and less cheating.

• Supporters

A big part of airsoft is having to deal with actual ballistics, sure they dont behave remotely like real bullets but having to factor in obstacles, wind, mechanical accuracy is still a factor.

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

A big part of airsoft is having to deal with actual ballistics, sure they dont behave remotely like real bullets but having to factor in obstacles, wind, mechanical accuracy is still a factor.

But, are those the 'fun' factors?

4 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Ha ha ha ha ha awesome, apart from the G&G thing being five years out of date, I can immediately think of so many issues with this silly idea

Not sure it's that silly:  Plenty of sites in the USA selling kit.  Some LE/Mil forces are going over to laser: Less clearing up (especially vs paintball), less consumables, no 'cheating' (deliberate or not), and far better accuracy at longer ranges.  All as far as I gather from 'googling'.  I was asking in case anybody had actual experience of a conversion.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Gasump said:

But, are those the 'fun' factors?

for me? yes, i take great pleasure in what passes in airsoft for marksmanry, indeed i appreciate not only making a long range shot, but also being tagged by a long range shot.

if i wanted to play point and click i'd stay home and play call of duty.

don't get me wrong, there are aspects of this hobby i hate, and cheating sits right on the top of the pile. but frankly it's not like you're going to escape it with lasers, i'm sure given enough ingenuity someone's going to cover their sensors or some other shenanigans to make them proof of hits.

sure laser tag might have a range advantage, but frankly not many airsoft sites are going to have the kind of ranges where you could utilise it anyway, and as much as we laugh as the ridiculousness of using leaves as cover at least a bb can have a crack at punching through whereas i doubt a laser is going to work quite so well.

frankly these days i'm kind of coming to the conclusion that there are very few, if any, problems with airsoft as an enjoyable pastime that couldn't be solved by everyone involved being honest sportsmen.

Having played laser tag in the past, both in cqb arenas and in the woods I can safely say I have no interest in going back to that. While yes, technically the lasers are more accurate, the sensors you need to hit are either small and annoying or big and bulky, to the point where it was almost impossible to hit anyone in the woods. On top of this you have no feedback from the guns, beyond some faint sound effects. You can't tell where your shots are going or when you're being shot at so it's generally harder to make hits. 

36 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

Having played laser tag in the past, both in cqb arenas and in the woods I can safely say I have no interest in going back to that. While yes, technically the lasers are more accurate, the sensors you need to hit are either small and annoying or big and bulky, to the point where it was almost impossible to hit anyone in the woods. On top of this you have no feedback from the guns, beyond some faint sound effects. You can't tell where your shots are going or when you're being shot at so it's generally harder to make hits. 

I still had fun with the old CQB lasertag games.  I can understand the problems you describe for woodland and larger arenas.

I'm sure the accuracy and detection would be better now with improved tech.  In theory they could even measure the distance and introduce a drop parameter so range would have to be accounted for.

The feeling of the weapon firing would be much improved with better recoil. (Think GBB or pre-cocking electric system)

Louder sounds could add immersion and make suppressors more relevant.

All theoretical of course but I'm thinking of the positive aspects of what could be done.

Its a bit immersion breaking seeing BB's fly because you can't see bullets of course.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.