Hand Pump

callumbagshaw

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been out of the game for a while, and I know I need to get my tank & reg tested, which I will do.

I'm aware that there are hand pumps capable of reaching the bar/psi required for a HPA RIF setup but I always thought of them as mega expensive.... I found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/4500Psi-Pressure-3-Stage-Filling-Warranty/dp/B082W8WZ29/ref=asc_df_B082W8WZ29/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=406571268444&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5270647696550972882&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046387&hvtargid=pla-854206260146&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=84046346862&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=406571268444&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5270647696550972882&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046387&hvtargid=pla-854206260146

Would this suit a HPA setup? I don't mind if the difference between this pump and a more expensive one is simply the number of pumps required to fill the tank....

Thanks in advance!

What you save in buying a pump you lose in time spent pumping. Dependant on what size tank you're filling up, your personal fitness and the time spent letting the pump cool down this can take anywhere from half an hour for a small 13/3000 tank to most of a day for larger ones. Lots of info on the old internet to tie you over, though a couple I've found pretty good are below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ycyl0Erkm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDcqYVR9R8w

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/53-hpa-systems/18537-filling-tank-stirrup-pump.html

The other alternative is to buy a dive tank and use this to fill up your bottle(s), this would of course require you to take it to a dive center or somewhere similar to get it refilled and would need testing in itself every few years.

Thanks a lot, I've checked out those links and I still think a pump is a good option for me. I do have fill stations relatively nearby, which is the go-to option, but at that price, a pump would be a great backup option, and at least good enough to fill my tank a little for garden testing. 

Stirrup pumps suitable for high pressure are cheaper then they were, however the example shown looks like an unfiltered stirrup pump.

To ensure only clean air goes in you need a filter as well.

If unfiltered then you won’t necessarily notice anything, ‘dirt’ contamination may affect the regulator and can cause early burst disk failure.

But if the cylinder is connected to a compressor and is quickly filled then any oil contamination can result in a flash fill explosion. 

The ideal is to fill at the site you play via their own compressor based fill station. Unless the site also caters for paintball walkons this option may not be available

Next best is a scuba and your own cascade fill.

To get the most of your fills from a scuba you want to top up as often as possible so you draw a small amount at a time.

With a stirrup pump the problem with filling as often as possible is that you first need to pump the stirrup hose enough to open the cylinders valve.  If you pump between games then you might not get up to pressure before you go back to play - and lose all the hose pressure when you disconnect 

Stirrup pumps not only take physical effort, but you need to make full strokes and pause to allow cooling.

Pressure is artificially high due to heat so it drops 10 minutes later - and more importantly heat is dangerous in a pressurised environment. 

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Stirrup pumps suitable for high pressure are cheaper then they were, however the example shown looks like an unfiltered stirrup pump.

To ensure only clean air goes in you need a filter as well.

Thanks for this input - can you point me in the direction of a filter which would work with that unit?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.