Airsoft and Covid Restrictions While Playing on Site - Thoughts?

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

For "currently", and the UK, although I will correct that to "influenza and pneumonia".

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/latest

image.png.55f4a353fbf8c4def4d373fa421ea5d3.png

I present these for context.  About 1,700 people a day die in the UK, each one a personal tragedy.  I don't make light of SARS-COV-2, any more than I would any other serious disease. But it's not that special in terms of lethality, and we're never going to eradicate it, vaccine or otherwise, so it's a question of what the New New Normal is going to look like, and for how long.

Aside, there have been five cases of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, MERS-CoV, in the UK this year (3 imported, 2 local linked to them) - that's never gone away either, there's no vaccine for it, and it has a 35% mortality rate. It just stopped spreading so fast, as many viruses do.  That's our best hope for SARS-COV-2 at this point.

Looks like.  Greet Leader Nicola is about to give us the New New Normal for Scotland, which I expect to be worse, not better.

From the source data though, the 5 year average for influenza and pneumonia is 28,188/year. In the UK so far the number of deaths "due to" COVID-19 in England and Wales is 44,311 (deaths "involving" is 47,950). The mortality rate of COVID-19 is between 3-5%, seasonal influenza is less than 0.1%. I agree that this is probably not going away any time soon though and that in parts of the North of England it seems to have already become endemic.

From the “front pages” on the bbc news - You have to wonder what has to happen to make these fools understand the rules ?
And I bet 50% of these are the ones that will kick off when they “un-duh-stand” the new rules* ...... EEEEJITS !!!

*then ignore them

2AE73828-2656-4BD2-9A28-800F8CB8FB1E.jpeg

• Supporters
1 minute ago, MiK said:

From the “front pages” on the bbc news - You have to wonder what has to happen to make these fools understand the rules ?
And I bet 50% of these are the ones that will kick off when they “un-duh-stand” the new rules* ...... EEEEJITS !!!

*then ignore them

2AE73828-2656-4BD2-9A28-800F8CB8FB1E.jpeg

People are the problem. I hate people.

I do enjoy a bit of doom laden scaremongering based on predicted guesswork.

when this started France and Spain  presented us the future with a 2 week lead time.

they are doing the same now and our scientific advisers appear to be Ignoring the data to give us imaginary figures when France and Spain’s graphs in real time bear no resemblance

but hey ho the economy doesn’t matter It appears

And don’t get me started on the cure is worse than the disease in the bigger picture of healthcare

10 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

I think you are being a bit cynical there, if they say they have a vaccine, why would they lie????🙄

Ignoring Russia's track record with being creative with truth, I picked Russia as they're the only country to my knowledge that claim to have a vaccine.  It was a genuine comment that I guess came across as disingenuous.  It wasn't a dig at them.  I seem to recall a few weeks ago it was looking promising though now it seems there are some genuine concerns with it, especially skipping phase 3 trials.

As for why would they lie?  Well, boasting rights.  "We were the first to come up with a vaccine.  Suck it everyone else".  Even if it was short lived.  Monetary gain. I gather they are taking orders from desperate countries that are not so concerned about international regulations regarding vaccines along with no actual proof it works from scientists outside Russia.  A nice financial boost for a country suffering trade sanctions.

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

I hope not, Luke said at Z-Mart they'd need to fully book every Sunday in order to cover costs. So it'd be tragic if they couldn't keep the place after opening for one game. :( 

We still need your report on the game btw ;)  

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Those are from last week.  We're still waiting for the legislative boot to drop on today's speeches.

Also, those aren't the regulations, they're explanatory notes.  I make the distinction because as far as I can see, Scotland re-criminalised indoor adult sports last week: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/279/regulation/8/made

But the advice on gov.scot was still saying that "sports" (unqualified) weren't effected.

We'll need to see what the new regs say, but I'm not hopeful.

Don’t worry, I’m cynical about the Russian vaccine. My poorly made point was that some people’s reaction to putin’s statement Was probably “that’s boll*cks” and yet are happy to accept enforced changes based on computer modelling that may or may not be true

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

computer modelling that may or may not be true

The Ferguson model used in ICL's "Report 9" which informed SAGE and the UK Government and much of the Western world back in March can be found here.

https://github.com/mrc-ide/covid-sim

I've had a look and shared it round some colleagues. "Appalled" is quite a popular reaction, especially when you discover that ICL's definition of "stochastic" means "produces different output from the same input and psuedo-random number seed when run multi-threaded".

I'd encourage you to have a look yourself if you have any interest in coding.  The "unit_tests" directory is particularly revealing.

Just read BMJ and lancet etc and all the studies now showing that seasonal flu and covid and prevalence in BAME groups etc is all down to a lack of vitimin D3. Very easy and cheap to supplement and in double blind tests has shown unequivocal efficacy at reducing symptoms, deaths etc, but government not mentioning it. Could it be their mates in big Pharma cant make a profit from humble Vit D3 tablets. but will make a killing from vaccines that only last a few months or cover last years illness like the flu jab)

My favourite sentence to do with data analysis is “the stats don’t lie”

as an undergraduate studying stats I don’t think I have ever seen a better system making lies and falsehoods seem true.

im with Churchill on this 

“the only statistics you can trust are the one’s you have falsified yourself”

1 hour ago, MadMole said:

Just read BMJ and lancet etc and all the studies now showing that seasonal flu and covid and prevalence in BAME groups etc is all down to a lack of vitimin D3. Very easy and cheap to supplement and in double blind tests has shown unequivocal efficacy at reducing symptoms, deaths etc, but government not mentioning it. Could it be their mates in big Pharma cant make a profit from humble Vit D3 tablets. but will make a killing from vaccines that only last a few months or cover last years illness like the flu jab)

I've been taking vit D for that reason.
Not just the BAME population - most of us in the Western world are deficient due to change in the nature of occupations and spending most time indoors.
The way I figure it is more vit D in my system can't be a bad thing...

1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

My favourite sentence to do with data analysis is “the stats don’t lie”

as an undergraduate studying stats I don’t think I have ever seen a better system making lies and falsehoods seem true.

im with Churchill on this 

“the only statistics you can trust are the one’s you have falsified yourself”

As someone employed to analyse data and draw conclusions some of the "science" and "evidence" being banded about makes my teeth itch! 

Things need to change, infection rates need to come down but please don't skew the data as no one will believe you next time...

For some more positive news have a listen to "Life Scientific" on the BBC Radio player and the vaccine in testing at Oxford 😁

4 hours ago, osteoshot said:

Don’t worry, I’m cynical about the Russian vaccine. My poorly made point was that some people’s reaction to putin’s statement Was probably “that’s boll*cks” and yet are happy to accept enforced changes based on computer modelling that may or may not be true

4 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Ignoring Russia's track record with being creative with truth, I picked Russia as they're the only country to my knowledge that claim to have a vaccine.  It was a genuine comment that I guess came across as disingenuous.  It wasn't a dig at them.  I seem to recall a few weeks ago it was looking promising though now it seems there are some genuine concerns with it, especially skipping phase 3 trials.

As for why would they lie?  Well, boasting rights.  "We were the first to come up with a vaccine.  Suck it everyone else".  Even if it was short lived.  Monetary gain. I gather they are taking orders from desperate countries that are not so concerned about international regulations regarding vaccines along with no actual proof it works from scientists outside Russia.  A nice financial boost for a country suffering trade sanctions.

4 hours ago, osteoshot said:

I think you are being a bit cynical there, if they say they have a vaccine, why would they lie????🙄

4 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Just order a Russian vaccine and you're good to go 😄

Having dealt with Russian sources of information I'm far more than cynical of Russias announcements on a vaccine, let alone with any consideration to their production and test regimes.

There you go boris is putting the army on the streets to police the public.

i won’t go into how deeply disturbing this is from a civil liberties point of view but just let’s not have anyone doing what a certain U.S airsofter did 

Indoor CQB no longer allowed ?

and from all reports wee Jimmie krankie is following suit ?

63FF1711-B17A-46AC-B988-5F9C8C41D3B0.jpeg

11 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

i won’t go into how deeply disturbing this is from a civil liberties point of view but just let’s not have anyone doing what a certain U.S airsofter did 

Bozzer is waving his stick - you follow the rules or we lock you down PERIOD but everyone here knows there’s chancer’s who will not follow - they just need to take the money direct from source - either they furnish your PAYE or Take it direct from the BENEFITS 

13 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

Marshall law and a 10.30pm curfew. ☹☹

5 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Justin who runs the Gaol has said that nothing affects the site and will continue as normal. 

I wonder if things have changed now with the “no indoor sports allowed”

even the Scots, Welsh & NI seem to have stated the same.........

11 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

No - he is putting more police on the streets and using the Army to 'backfill' behind them.

We had the Army on the streets directly supporting the police in 2017 following bombings.

But the Army have been deployed many times in the UK - putting out sandbags in floods, standing in when Group4 security failed at the Olympics, and have been covering Covid support from setting up Nightingale hospitals, running test stations, delivering supplies to hospitals etc.

They also covered bin & fire strikes back in the 70s and 80s etc 

1 minute ago, Tommikka said:

No - he is putting more police on the streets 

Where are all these extra bobbies coming from then? Are they gonna be quickly cultivated and force grown.

We had a bloody huge shortage of police before this hit.why.have we suddenly got more?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.