So I Kinda Ruined My Ak....

RonLancs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

7 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Its not too bad but yeah, the hard part of wearing is to know when to stop 😉

Could try bluing.  You'll need different stuff for aluminium and steel but both are quite expensive.

Easiest and cheapest would be to spray it again.

Yea man, I just can’t stand the look of a pristine AK.. I was considering blueing and really bringing the read out on the hand guard. Definitely not gonna Krylon. I dunno why people rave about it. 

Also, reckon I’d need to fully strip the original paint before re-spraying? 

You may want to try Hammerite Satin Black Metal spray paint that replicate enamel paint the Soviets/Russian use on their AKs. As they only blued the type 3 AK 47, then switch to a glossy enamel paint for the AKM onwards  because it was cheaper and quicker.   

There is also Voron Original Soviet Weapon Finish but that is expensive and a bit more time consuming to apply. 

22 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

You may want to try Hammerite Satin Black Metal spray paint that replicate enamel paint the Soviets/Russian use on their AKs. As they only blued the type 3 AK 47, then switch to a glossy enamel paint for the AKM onwards  because it was cheaper and quicker.   

There is also Voron Original Soviet Weapon Finish but that is expensive and a bit more time consuming to apply. 

Yea not gonna go mad on it just want it to have a heavily worn look to it but well maintained at the same time. I do like the Russian red furniture. Something like the below.

1A837A69-DFD5-4CF3-8DC9-519CBE6F5D4F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RonLancs said:

So I tried the coke method... it’s been sitting there for 2 or more hours and still nothing. Might have to use Nitro-Mors.

'New' Nitro-mors is nowhere near as effective as the old stuff, but it should be strong enough for the steel parts. I would go careful on any zinc parts (front sight, trunion, rear sight mount etc).

Try a small patch somewhere on the gun before committing to the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

'New' Nitro-mors is nowhere near as effective as the old stuff

Agree with that. Years ago the original nitromors took all the paint off of my mk 2 cortinas doors! And the fumes were enough to make an elephant drowsy!

It has been watered down now for health and safety. 

Regards 

Eurgh this is so much effort... just thought I could scotch brite it all off but what a task... kudos to cyma on the strength of the paint. 

• Supporters

Get a black paint pen , go over the areas you’ve taken too much off then re-take off but not quite as much this time . I always have one at hand if I’m trying to ‘age’ a gun . What I did with my AK .

use wood stain on the grip to red’en It then a couple of coats of lacquer to protect it .

Mite be an idea to take the grips off and batter them up a bit , they look way too pristine compared to the metal work .👍

this is mine .

871443B1-DA2E-41D6-81E6-40ACB3327B4B.jpeg

Is the model your working on made of steel? I think the coke method only works on steel bodied AKs

11 hours ago, GearTech said:

Is the model your working on made of steel? I think the coke method only works on steel bodied AKs

Tis steel mate but I think the paints different. I’m happy with it now. Project finished. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.