The AAP-01 Owners Thread.

Cr0-Magnon

35 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Quick question: What is the hop rubber of choice for these?

I know ML is pretty popular, but has anyone tried the Sniper Mechanic Flamingo?

Flamingo is what Skirmshop were pre-upgrading the first few batches they had with before sending them out. From what I've read the latest strain are decent, happier in a BASR than a pistol but from most AAP users I'm seeing with them they are happy enough with the range.

I just can't help myself to not break habit and go with a 70° decepticon though.

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Quick question: What is the hop rubber of choice for these?

I know ML is pretty popular, but has anyone tried the Sniper Mechanic Flamingo?

I'm fairly certain my mates put a 50 flamingo in his. Unfortunately he's not really done and shooting in anger with it.

@Steveocee, I'll let you know how the holster is!

@AlphaBear I'll be sure to make a video of the drum mag. I've got the Armourer works drum coming for me and due to stocking levels, I've ordered my mate the WE one. They seem to be identical apart from the colour. I considered the WE one as it was cheaper but the green and tan clashed too much with my black pistol!! 😂

Ok, follow-up question.

Not being a GBB man (it's been nearly 6-7 years since I last owned one), I don't know what's decent or not. Are these mags (a tenner cheaper than Action Army) any good?:

https://www.airsoftworld.net/a-w-e-glk-18-and-nuprol-raven-spare-magazine.html

I assume it's AirsoftWorld's rebrand of another manufacturer.

8 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Ok, follow-up question.

Not being a GBB man (it's been nearly 6-7 years since I last owned one), I don't know what's decent or not. Are these mags (a tenner cheaper than Action Army) any good?:

https://www.airsoftworld.net/a-w-e-glk-18-and-nuprol-raven-spare-magazine.html

I assume it's AirsoftWorld's rebrand of another manufacturer.

Can't help but notice it mentions Nuprol and raven in the hyper link! Might be a cheap raven / vorsk mag in different packaging.

I've not had any issues with the Action army ones or my WE extended mags if that's of any use.

Just now, leadly said:

Might be a cheap raven / vorsk mag in different packaging.

You're probably right - most likely made of cheese for that price.

Where's the best place to pick up WE extended mags these days?

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

You're probably right - most likely made of cheese for that price.

Where's the best place to pick up WE extended mags these days?

https://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/we-glock-17-and-18c-50-round-extended-magazine.html?search=We Glock

That's where I got mine from, I think I paid slightly less but not much less.

Just ran an extended mag through my machine pistol and a standard mag through my pistol and it was lovely. 

I do however keep my gas in the utility room instead of my garage to enable me to have an impromptu pew pew.

Spent the last hour glossing skirting boards with the mags in my pockets 😂

OK, so the lower is done. The Cowcow internals and GM trigger are in place.

The trigger is almost a direct fit but a little adjustment was required to allow it to pull back far enough to release the hammer. You can see it has small extra protrusions to limit over-pull after the release.  One possible downside with aftermarket triggers is you do lose the safety.

trigger.thumb.jpg.9b03e48f11268afab8e71b7fc6292496.jpg

I Modified the auto sear to match the original.

I also took some pictures of the mods I made to the nozzle. You just need to cut/file the rear profiIe to match the original and trim the side guides by the smallest amount (about 0.5mm) to allow it to slide smoothly in the bolt/BBU.  Just shave a little at a time until it moves freely like the original.

Before

2062926274_Autosear.thumb.jpg.638465473e06b21ff77e4a2179611446.jpg

During

1384949044_Autosearfile.thumb.jpg.b104f4f2ddf4ef82b8d7d24631ebfc35.jpg

After

240028360_Autosearfiled.jpg.03f5d9761f5e575a9afabfb162c4b656.jpg

I found that the Cowcow hammer roller caused a very sticky slide so although this picture has the silver Cowcow part this has now been replaced by the original. All fires nice and smoothly now.

1578293147_cowcowinstalled.thumb.jpg.5037ee05a7bc6586f4758476ffd0d549.jpg

installed.thumb.jpg.3252efaffc00afb52d871e4d96382a13.jpg

James

33 minutes ago, Piman said:

OK, so the lower is done. The Cowcow internals and GM trigger are in place.

The trigger is almost a direct fit but a little adjustment was required to allow it to pull back far enough to release the hammer. You can see it has small extra protrusions to limit over-pull after the release.  One possible downside with aftermarket triggers is you do lose the safety.

trigger.thumb.jpg.9b03e48f11268afab8e71b7fc6292496.jpg

I Modified the auto sear to match the original.

I also took some pictures of the mods I made to the nozzle. You just need to cut/file the rear profiIe to match the original and trim the side guides by the smallest amount (about 0.5mm) to allow it to slide smoothly in the bolt/BBU.  Just shave a little at a time until it moves freely like the original.

Before

2062926274_Autosear.thumb.jpg.638465473e06b21ff77e4a2179611446.jpg

During

1384949044_Autosearfile.thumb.jpg.b104f4f2ddf4ef82b8d7d24631ebfc35.jpg

After

240028360_Autosearfiled.jpg.03f5d9761f5e575a9afabfb162c4b656.jpg

I found that the Cowcow hammer roller caused a very sticky slide so although this picture has the silver Cowcow part this has now been replaced by the original. All fires nice and smoothly now.

1578293147_cowcowinstalled.thumb.jpg.5037ee05a7bc6586f4758476ffd0d549.jpg

installed.thumb.jpg.3252efaffc00afb52d871e4d96382a13.jpg

James

That's all impressive, I'd have got my Dremel cutting bit out and probably would have cocked it up lol. That reminds me I need a vice and some new metal files..... anyway, back to my point.... why is there a need to replace the original trigger parts with these 3rd party parts? Durability? Quality? Lockdown boredom? ;)

For the hammer and sears it is mainly for durability. The trigger itself; I just like the alloy trigger rather than plastic. It is also adjustable so I get the short trigger pull I like.

I am also someone who loves to tinker and don't have any standard airsoft guns. I would imagine the standard pistol will be fine for a long time before any need for repair or upgrade. I just can't help myself!!! :)

James

That's something I learnt very quickly about airsofters.

There is quite a blurry line between the need to upgrade parts for a desired benefit Vs the desire to upgrade because I mother-fucking want to!!!

28 minutes ago, leadly said:

That's something I learnt very quickly about airsofters.

There is quite a blurry line between the need to upgrade parts for a desired benefit Vs the desire to upgrade because I mother-fucking want to!!!

I wouldn't say it's a particularly blurred line at all. For reasons unknown to me the majority are the latter because folks are seemingly so reluctant to use something stock to know what benchmark they're even working with (I suspect this is only spreading wider courtesy of the prevalence of social media and YouTube). Lockdown has definitely exacerbated it, but it's by no means a new thing. 'Upgrade' doesn't mean much if you don't know how it was functioning before throwing various parts in.

I confess non of my recoils are standard coz well they are recoils and they are designed to be upgraded let's face it..... Conversely, I've never touched a GBB pistol when it comes to trigger internals and the same with the MWS trigger set as it's  just something I don't feel a need to do as it's not a primary... I must admit I am though curious so I expect I'll end up fiddling with the AAP at some point....  (other than a hop, barrel and H/I key)..

@PimanI do like that trigger though.. I wonder what will look good on a FDE AAP?

I very much fall in the camp of 'you do you', ultimately it has literally zero affect on me.

If I put an aftermarket part in a RIF to improve the performance then I need to know what an improvement actually looks like... but I'm also more than willing to rip aftermarket parts out if they've made it worse and accept I've made a bad purchasing decision. Same applies to durability, how do I know if an aftermarket part is more durable without having killed the stock part to then compare how long it lasts to? In no way against swapping parts out, I just like to know what I'm comparing things to. If you couldn't careless and like throwing crap into RIFs for the sake of doing so, then all power to you. As long as you're enjoying yourself I fail to see how or why you should care about other folks opinion. (That last sentence potentially comes across as a bit passive aggressive, absolutely not the intent but it's hard to get tone across via a typed out message)

So upper complete. Sorry about the poor contrast in the pictures.

Barrel length just about perfect.

746637307_barrellength.thumb.jpg.5eb95b38600659a5dd14732acf9cc061.jpg

With the standard Mamba compensator.

.295791648_aap01mamba.thumb.jpg.8430ac6cc6ed863c6fd3158af35e4e27.jpg

With the suppressor

2073162089_aap-01wsil.thumb.jpg.3ca29dc479d7e056b1e5e98e9d881fce.jpg

Got the CTM holster with a molle adaptor. This needed a little dremeling due to the change in trigger. With is set up for a short pull the gap behind the trigger is much smaller so material nedeed to be removed from the holster. In standard for the fit was perfect.

1937878192_CTMmolle.thumb.jpg.4ecac59f349e3c3f96aed3088ac35648.jpg

With the pistol in the holster.

1517193691_CTMloaded.thumb.jpg.39ad8b2c8bef8d659fbc7566eae4481e.jpg

One of the offset from the belt which feels a lot less than I thought now it is fitted.

1380273120_CTMoffset.thumb.jpg.bc29a3f326a60097d7da743be4b698c6.jpg

James

Anyone done anythign abotu the nozzle valve spring yet? Been reading they can be a bit flim-flam and cause inconsistency, I haven't done any "decent" chrono tests yet with mine as I don't intend to run it on gas but I did notice it was quite varied.

Am tempted to throw in a spare TM one I have whilst I wait for the CowCow one to arrive.

I have the AIP 140% high capa nozzle spring coming from Elite this week. I have notice the nozzle can be a little sticky but it has always released. I will play wit the different spring and see if I can notice any difference.

James

2 hours ago, Piman said:

I have the AIP 140% high capa nozzle spring coming from Elite this week. I have notice the nozzle can be a little sticky but it has always released. I will play wit the different spring and see if I can notice any difference.

James

Nozzle return spring is well worth doing. I have an AIP 140 in mine, it sits on the locator and makes the nozzle super snappy. Very much needed if you're short stroking.

I'm on about the nozzle valve spring though... that is apparently very hit and miss.

https://www.rainbow8.com/collections/hicapa-customparts/products/nozzle-valve-spring

I accidentlaly ordered one of these earlier as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140-C-C-Tac-AAP-01-Recoil-Spring/274684454775?hash=item3ff4782777:g:ue0AAOSwopxgFXEa

I know Waldo is due to bring his own out at some point soon and I'll probably swap to those when he does but these are good for now.