Bucking/barrel upgrade

Recoil_

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm currently running an ICS CXP MARS lim etd AEG. I'm shooting .20g bb's around 320 FPS. I popped in some .25g and I was shooting around 270 FPS. I'd ideally like to get a bit more out of the rifle to shoot .25g bb's.

What sort of upgrades are best toget that sort of performance/any good techs around to be able to take it to site limit shooting .25g?

Many thanks

• Supporters

what is your site limit? (it'll usually be quoted as an fps on 0.2g)

than use a calculator like this to work out the joule value:

http://www.asiaairsoft.com/index_topic.php?did=23&didpath=/23

for example currently your 320fps on 0.2g is 0.95J.

on your 0.25g your 270fps is 0.84j

the reason the heavier ammo is lower is most likely due to the hop, turning the hop up to get enough lift on heavier ammo will obstruct the barrel more and rob some energy from the system.

one way around this is a softer compund rubber, or one with a larger contact area. for example a flat hop has a longer contact patch and therefore needs less pressure to acheive the same spin.

a good, if not universal, solution is the likes of the maple leaf macaron/omega nub combo, although be warned that the longer feed lips might not suit all hop types.

the next thing i'd check before swapping springs is the air seal, not only will a good air seal mean you're getting all the energy your spring can put out, but it'll also improve the shot-shot consistency meaning better precision and therefore effective range.

i have a guide here goes through air seal:

once you've got a very good air seal, and you're still under your site limit by a decent amount (5-10 fps isn't such a big deal but if you're shooting 0.8j at a 1.3j site you're gonna be at a disadvantage) then you can consider changing out the spring to something a bit stronger.

i'd leave the barrel as-is for the time being with the exception of giving it a good cleaning, the gains from a barrel swap are going to be minimal compared to the hop and air seal.

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

what is your site limit? (it'll usually be quoted as an fps on 0.2g)

than use a calculator like this to work out the joule value:

http://www.asiaairsoft.com/index_topic.php?did=23&didpath=/23

for example currently your 320fps on 0.2g is 0.95J.

on your 0.25g your 270fps is 0.84j

the reason the heavier ammo is lower is most likely due to the hop, turning the hop up to get enough lift on heavier ammo will obstruct the barrel more and rob some energy from the system.

one way around this is a softer compund rubber, or one with a larger contact area. for example a flat hop has a longer contact patch and therefore needs less pressure to acheive the same spin.

a good, if not universal, solution is the likes of the maple leaf macaron/omega nub combo, although be warned that the longer feed lips might not suit all hop types.

the next thing i'd check before swapping springs is the air seal, not only will a good air seal mean you're getting all the energy your spring can put out, but it'll also improve the shot-shot consistency meaning better precision and therefore effective range.

i have a guide here goes through air seal:

once you've got a very good air seal, and you're still under your site limit by a decent amount (5-10 fps isn't such a big deal but if you're shooting 0.8j at a 1.3j site you're gonna be at a disadvantage) then you can consider changing out the spring to something a bit stronger.

i'd leave the barrel as-is for the time being with the exception of giving it a good cleaning, the gains from a barrel swap are going to be minimal compared to the hop and air seal.

The site limit is 1.14J.

As the weapon is still in warranty I'll try and upgrade the spring first (it's a quick change one). M100 should do shouldn't it?

I'll also have a look at the air seal.

Thanks

• Supporters

the reason to do air seal first is because you might well have a strong enough spring in the gun already, and your lower fps is the result of air leaking out.

saves you a few bob if you can get the fps boost and an accuracy boost without having to buy a new spring.

13 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

I generally use prommy purple and they have never let me down. Dare I say it the rubber is better than the marui stock bucking.  Shhhhh don’t anyone quote me. 

Well, it has been a go-to bucking for many airsofters for years.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.