Tips for removing scratches from helmet visor

Spartan09

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys,

As the title suggests, i am looking for any tips to remove light scratches from a helmet visor (appears to be a kind of polycarbonate)

Ordinarily i wouldnt care, as its part of the territory, however at a game yesterday i was struggling to see at times due to glare and upon researching anti glare solutions, several places state that the lens needs to be scratch free.

I have done some research myself and come across a few methods, such as using toothpaste, however i only have the one visor and nothing else to experiment on, nor can i buy a new visor as it is ex army surplus, and they dont appear for sale often.

• Supporters

Toothpaste works. Just remember that whatever you use to buff it out properly or the swirl marks will make you long for the days when all you had were little scratches.

• Supporters

It's not cheap, but I use Meguiars PlastX, which is specifically designed for use on polycarbonate.

As always, results not guaranteed, test on an inconspicuous area, will probably give you eye cancer.

On 14/09/2020 at 20:06, AlphaBear said:

Use Novus polish. It comes in three grades 1,2 and 3. It’s an amazing system and works well on motor cycle helmets too. If there is a Harley shop near you they stock it. 

will look into that one,  but maybe try sourcing it from somewhere other than harley davidson...  might be a bit cheaper

On 15/09/2020 at 00:34, EDcase said:

I've used brass polish (felt stuff in a tin) in the past but try on a non-crucial area first.

not heard of that one before, any ideas on how it compares to toothpaste or plastX that @Rogerborg mentioned?  and any idea where to find brass polish?

On 15/09/2020 at 09:59, Rogerborg said:

It's not cheap, but I use Meguiars PlastX, which is specifically designed for use on polycarbonate.

As always, results not guaranteed, test on an inconspicuous area, will probably give you eye cancer.

yeah..  given the cost, i will probably keep that as a last resort option, but i appreciate the tip rogerborg

On 15/09/2020 at 09:44, Lozart said:

Toothpaste works. Just remember that whatever you use to buff it out properly or the swirl marks will make you long for the days when all you had were little scratches.

will any toothpaste work? do i have to get plain white toothpaste, or can i use the tube of colgate i have in my bathroom?

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

will any toothpaste work? do i have to get plain white toothpaste, or can i use the tube of colgate i have in my bathroom?

Pretty much. If you rub a bit between your fingers and it feels very slightly gritty then it will work. Toothpaste is at heart a fine abrasive paste. Just go gently.

6 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

will look into that one,  but maybe try sourcing it from somewhere other than harley davidson...  might be a bit cheaper

not heard of that one before, any ideas on how it compares to toothpaste or plastX that @Rogerborg mentioned?  and any idea where to find brass polish?

yeah..  given the cost, i will probably keep that as a last resort option, but i appreciate the tip rogerborg

and any idea where to find brass polish?

any supermarket or hardware shop will have brasso or some brand of brass cleaner

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Pretty much. If you rub a bit between your fingers and it feels very slightly gritty then it will work. Toothpaste is at heart a fine abrasive paste. Just go gently.

I think toothpaste is actually too coarse to produce a good transparent finish and may end up a bit fogged.

Brasso or Silver polish is much finer

• Supporters
13 hours ago, EDcase said:

I think toothpaste is actually too coarse to produce a good transparent finish and may end up a bit fogged.

Brasso or Silver polish is much finer

I used to use it on model aircraft canopies. The toothpaste gets the scratches out, the swirl marks it will leave need buffing out with polish and a soft cloth.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Perhaps a polish from a headlight restoration kit might do the job?

That's what Meguiars PlastX is for.  Cheaper alternatives are available, it's the same general idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the tips guys. I have managed to get the visor almost perfect.

I used a combination of toothpaste and novus polish,  but i will keep the brass polish and plastx in mind in case i need them in the future

Now to just apply the anti glare film when it arrives =D

5 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

Thank you for all the tips guys. I have managed to get the visor almost perfect.

I used a combination of toothpaste and novus polish,  but i will keep the brass polish and plastx in mind in case i need them in the future

Now to just apply the anti glare film when it arrives =D

Can't beat the Novus system ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.