Funniest Airsoft Fallacies

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

MachSakai

His shooting tests are hilarious though :D

• Supporters

I like Bad Influence for his no-nonsense reviews showing all the important stuff and very little else.  I particularly appreciate that he reviews lower end stuff on exactly the same basis as anything else, right down to 15 Euro springers.

And then I saw this... :(

image.png.d60b231463bc1d6396627eb74713f5c0.png

(Still a better love story than Twilight)

The thing that continually irritates me about reviews is that they blatehr away, chrono the thing etc but very few actually show you it shooting at any distance much less what the actual range on it is.  This is why I like Bada's reviews, plus he doesn't hold back where he thinks something is bad.

7 minutes ago, Smiling-Dutchman said:

Speaking about reviewers, did you guys hear about the youtuber who did an "honest review" where he was absolutely positive about Nov's SSP-18, and then it turned out that he directly works for Nov?

This is just the kind of sneaky bullshit I can’t stand. I think we all knew that this sort of stuff would eventually be happening like it’s somehow ‘ok’ seems this is the lengths novrbitch will go to to sell his shit. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

The thing that continually irritates me about reviews is that they blatehr away, chrono the thing etc but very few actually show you it shooting at any distance much less what the actual range on it is.  This is why I like Bada's reviews, plus he doesn't hold back where he thinks something is bad.

indeed

as a general rule i don't give a shit what a gun chrono's out of the box because odds are any version i get will have been downgraded anyway.

actual range is a big one, and they never try different ammo types, nothing along the lines of "this can lift up to X weight", same with accuracy, if your standard is hitting an a4 target at 10m then a nerf gun could be the greatest thing ever......

i also really, really, don't give a crap how ambidextrous or not a gun is......

what i want to see in reviews is things like which parts are proprietary, what's the long-term reliability like, in the case of gas guns how cold can it get before it waves the white flag? (also inb4 just run it on black gas, been there done that don't work).

for example i plan on reviewing the WE Dragonuv at some point, but i refuse to do it until i can answer the question definitively on wether or not you can put RS furniture on it and if any modifications need to be made.

The one that gets me in reviews is when a gun has loads of parts changed before it's fired a shot. Personally I'd like to know how it performs out of the box before spending half the cost of the gun on upgrades. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Cannonfodder said:

The one that gets me in reviews is when a gun has loads of parts changed before it's fired a shot. Personally I'd like to know how it performs out of the box before spending half the cost of the gun on upgrades. 

Amen brother, especially the noobs that think power is the be all and end all, half the time they end up making it perform worse not better, & eventually have to admit defeat before handing it over to a pro, ends up costing 3 times it's RRP lol

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

more importantly it's a case of why were those parts changed?

granted my recent lct review was one of those cases, but i think i did a decent job of explaining exactly why i had to change out the gears/motor/piston.

Exactly. If the review tells me why the upgrades were done, along with before and after comparisons, it gives me a better idea about whether or not the gun is suitable for me

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Exactly. If the review tells me why the upgrades were done, along with before and after comparisons, it gives me a better idea about whether or not the gun is suitable for me

indeed, some things might not be relevant in all cases.

for example i tend to swap out hop rubbers for softer compounds straight off the bat due to my penchant for firing heavy ammo at low energy, doesn't always mean the stock rubber is bad, just that it doesn't suit my purposes.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

indeed, some things might not be relevant in all cases.

for example i tend to swap out hop rubbers for softer compounds straight off the bat due to my penchant for firing heavy ammo at low energy, doesn't always mean the stock rubber is bad, just that it doesn't suit my purposes.

I do the same, along with swapping the battery connectors to deans.

My specna didn't fire a single round in anger before being upgraded so I have no clue about the stock performance :D

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Skara said:

I do the same, along with swapping the battery connectors to deans.

My specna didn't fire a single round in anger before being upgraded so I have no clue about the stock performance :D

neither did the lct, a few dry fires to set the motor height had me onto the horrific state of the gearing pretty quick.

same with the svd, already knew the stock we hop rubber setup for whatever unholy fps it fires out of the box wasn't going to work for the downgraded version i've got so it had a ml autobot in there before even firing a round.

Not so much a lie, as a misunderstanding of battery technology...

Negative airsofts's implication that smaller lipos of a lower rating should be used because they are easier on the gun and protect the mosfet/trigger from over amp damage. 

This is a colossal, and dangerous fallacy. I would far rather have a mosfet or a motor crap out than have a stock full of battery fire due to an undersized/overstressed lipo. It would also explain why Negative airsoft doesn't like lipos and why he says they always die on him, having underrated lipos will cause them to voltage sag and it will kill the weakest cell in a pack minimum, at the worst it will cause thermal runaway and eventual combustion.

From years of electric RC car racing, you respect lipos and they are by far the most important and dangerous aspect of an AEG airsoft gun. If you use them, take the time to understand how they work and what will damage them.

Not at all bagging on Negative airsofts channel, he is hugely informative about the mechanical side of airsoft, but his electrical understanding leaves a lot to be desired.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, lilredmachine said:

Not so much a lie, as a misunderstanding of battery technology...

Plus, if you choose a not so up to the task FET, it's worse to use lower capacity/voltage/C rating lipos, than higher ones. If the voltage drops under load close to the FET's opening voltage, it will easily burn.

5 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Plus, if you choose a not so up to the task FET, it's worse to use lower capacity/voltage/C rating lipos, than higher ones. If the voltage drops under load close to the FET's opening voltage, it will easily burn.

Absolutely true. The key is matching the Lipo to it's purpose. Under or overspeccing a lipo has terrible consequences in general for a gun and the battery concerned.

Truth is you should use the largest 'C' rating available in a size of lipo that will fit. If the motor, mosfet or trigger burns out then you need to upgrade the gun until it doesn't fail, not downgrade the lipo so much that the gun survives due to the voltage sag of the lipo under load, as NA's videos suggest. If you cannot upgrade the gun to survive a high powered lipo, then stick to NiMh packs. A lower amp capability but far more capacity for thermal handling is the safer option. 

• Supporters

Luke is a tricky one, he does know a lot of stuff and in his defence he isnt afraid to go against the grain of established knowledge based on his own experience. granted whilst its mainly for comedic effect his way of so confidently stating things as fact is tricky because whilst he may have a point at the core of his argument, stating things so bluntly can be easily misinterpreted.

This battery issue is a good example, i have experienced first hand the results of too much amp draw on a lipo that cant take it (fortunately it was during testing and it was noticed before any actual damage to the gun/battery). My solution was to use bigger batteries (same voltage and c rating, just larger capacity).

There are a few issues i definately disagee with him on (like aoe), he makes a big deal about lost cylinder volume yet a lot of the guns he build end up short-stroked or have ported cylinders (so evidently cylinder volume doesnt matter that much....) Of course if you dial down the tone to "lots of people way overdo aoe" it makes much more sense.

Even funnier in that vid he says to use "silent" piston heads which do exactly the same thing only with the mass mounted on the piston, where you dont want mass (without the extremes of swiss cheesing)

But then nobody can be an expert at everything, and we all have the things we thought were true or good ideas or good products that turned out not to be the case, which in fairness is sort of the point of this thread.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Luke is a tricky one, he does know a lot of stuff and in his defence he isnt afraid to go against the grain of established knowledge based on his own experience. granted whilst its mainly for comedic effect his way of so confidently stating things as fact is tricky because whilst he may have a point at the core of his argument, stating things so bluntly can be easily misinterpreted.

This battery issue is a good example, i have experienced first hand the results of too much amp draw on a lipo that cant take it (fortunately it was during testing and it was noticed before any actual damage to the gun/battery). My solution was to use bigger batteries (same voltage and c rating, just larger capacity).

There are a few issues i definately disagee with him on (like aoe), he makes a big deal about lost cylinder volume yet a lot of the guns he build end up short-stroked or have ported cylinders (so evidently cylinder volume doesnt matter that much....) Of course if you dial down the tone to "lots of people way overdo aoe" it makes much more sense.

Even funnier in that vid he says to use "silent" piston heads which do exactly the same thing only with the mass mounted on the piston, where you dont want mass (without the extremes of swiss cheesing)

But then nobody can be an expert at everything, and we all have the things we thought were true or good ideas or good products that turned out not to be the case, which in fairness is sort of the point of this thread.

He is pretty much a tech god, and the care he shows to guns despite his gruff exterior and the lengths he goes to for customers I cannot ignore. But this one sticking point about lipos is something I find ridiculously dangerous and to be honest, isn't really a mystery to someone that spends 10 minutes reading up on basic circuit behaviour and Lipo battery tech. So why Luke peddles such incorrect beliefs is a mystery to me, a 5 minute google and a 5 minute read is enough to correct this, yet I have seen this time and time again in his videos, even when there are comments [sometimes mine] in his videos about the dangerous nature of this misinformation. I'll shut up now, but I hope this changes soon, and also that airsoft manufacturers realise that higher quality electronics are a necessary with the claim that lipo batteries are useable with a product, rather than hiding behind a fuse of a 'mosfet' unit. 

• Supporters

No dispute about the science, but have you ever seen or heard of a lipo igniting or exploding during use in airsoft?

I'm not saying that it couldn't, but a lot of bad things could happen at a game of airsoft - limb damage, eye injuries, bad pyro kersplosions - and yet we carry on regardless.

• Root Admin
On 08/09/2020 at 16:02, alxndrhll said:

“The lighter your BBs the further they go but you sacrifice accuracy. The heavier your BBs the more accurate they are but you sacrifice range.” 

I’m sure this will sound entirely insane in this day and age. Very much because I started playing forever ago, back when it was rare to see anyone using ammo other than .2s. If someone was popping .25s in their mag they meant business, heaven forbid the fabled Maruzen .29s. But yeah, this was absolutely something I understood to be true.

As heavier weights became more readily available and the general consensus became try different weights until you find the sweet spot. I followed suit and seemingly now use different weights in pretty much every RIF I own (.32s in my MWS, .36-.4s in my mk23, .43s in my VSR and .48s in my SRS). But yeah, certainly the biggest ‘well that was a dumb thing I used to believe’ I can think of.

Quite literally the opposite too for most use cases. Urgh.

On 10/09/2020 at 14:24, Kzwi said:

How about the biggest fallacy of all times, told by the airsofter to himself or other people :

" if i buy this replica/gear, i'll have all i need/want and will defo not need to buy anything else ".

Thats Me is there NO END

6 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Knowledge has a habit of complicating things I guess.

Ain't that the truth! Ignorance is bliss.lol

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.