Funniest Airsoft Fallacies

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What were you lead to believe or just had a misconception of when first getting in to airsoft, which later turned out to be completely untrue? Alternatively what have you read/been told/overheard and straightaway knew it was utter BS? I'm not talking about any contentious teching habits etc but things which we can all agree upon.

One that springs to mind is someone genuinely believed if they put an 80 degree hop bucking in their WE G17, it would make it fire at 490fps because it said on the guide to their Maple Leaf rubber "80 degree: 490 FPS up" 

“The lighter your BBs the further they go but you sacrifice accuracy. The heavier your BBs the more accurate they are but you sacrifice range.” 

I’m sure this will sound entirely insane in this day and age. Very much because I started playing forever ago, back when it was rare to see anyone using ammo other than .2s. If someone was popping .25s in their mag they meant business, heaven forbid the fabled Maruzen .29s. But yeah, this was absolutely something I understood to be true.

As heavier weights became more readily available and the general consensus became try different weights until you find the sweet spot. I followed suit and seemingly now use different weights in pretty much every RIF I own (.32s in my MWS, .36-.4s in my mk23, .43s in my VSR and .48s in my SRS). But yeah, certainly the biggest ‘well that was a dumb thing I used to believe’ I can think of.

4 minutes ago, MiK said:

Mine was believing about a high cap mag once you wound the mag to get the BB’s at the business end you was all good .............

Guess it didn't take too much dry firing before you figured that one out!

2 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

“The lighter your BBs the further they go but you sacrifice accuracy. The heavier your BBs the more accurate they are but you sacrifice range.” 

Yes, I recall our conversation regarding cricket balls haha!

14 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Guess it didn't take too much dry firing before you figured that one out!

ermmmmmm................................ 🥺 
I didn’t know the difference in sound at the time - just thought it was like a PB Hopper 

9 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Higher fps means more range

I get what you mean. Obviously you don't want to be rocking a 200fps sniper rifle but people obsess over 10-15 fps (how do I get it to 349.9fps!?), thinking it will make the world of difference.

In my experience a decent hop up unit that's properly set up will give a better increase in range than simply dropping in a more powerful spring

• Supporters
2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

pretty much all the range/accuracy based myths.

got so fed up i actually sat and did the maths so i could be sure which is the right path.

although i'm contemplating maybe i shouldn't be telling everyone to use heavier ammo because then imma lose my range advantage :P

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

thing it it does, with the important caveat of all other factors being equal.

but i do understand the confusion, like pretty much everything inside an airsoft gun no one factor alone is the answer to all our woes.

i think the biggest one is more expensive gnu/gnu part=better gnu/gnu part.

whilst yes granted there is an element of ygwypf, there's also a massive diminishing returns curve and more importantly, a nominally very good part might well prove to be utterly useless in a given gun simply because the rest of the parts around it aren't set up that way.

for example i planned on running a maple leaf macaron in my lct ak, however the nub isn't quite in the right position in the stock hop unit so i'm having to use a PDI instead. nowt wrong with maple leaf rubbers they're perfectly good, but it just doesn't fit that specific situation.

Longer barrels for better range and accuracy. It always makes me laugh when you see someone put a 500mm inner barrel in their bone stock cm16 and then complain that it now shots worse than it did before. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Longer barrels for better range and accuracy. It always makes me laugh when you see someone put a 500mm inner barrel in their bone stock cm16 and then complain that it now shots worse than it did before. 

'Member the lad who rage-quit when told that an airsoft L85 wouldn't be any more accurate or longer ranged than an MP5?  Just wasn't having any of those obvious lies from us know-nothings. :D

"'Member the lad who rage-quit when told that an airsoft L85 wouldn't be any more accurate or longer ranged than an MP5?  Just wasn't having any of those lies from us no-nothings. :D"

I remember back in 2006 or so, putting a 650mm barrel in a stock JG AK/Dragunov (half cylinder) and wondering why I could throw the pellets further than the gun could. 

• Supporters
On 08/09/2020 at 16:37, Cannonfodder said:

On 08/09/2020 at 16:40, AK47frizzle said:

It is true though in general. More power equals more range. 

On 08/09/2020 at 16:47, Cr0-Magnon said:

I get what you mean. Obviously you don't want to be rocking a 200fps sniper rifle but people obsess over 10-15 fps (how do I get it to 349.9fps!?), thinking it will make the world of difference.

On 08/09/2020 at 17:27, Cannonfodder said:

In my experience a decent hop up unit that's properly set up will give a better increase in range than simply dropping in a more powerful spring

Pirrelli knew what they were talking about, if only they made hop rubbers 🤔

(& Carlsberg made gats🤤)

lentoblog00017b.jpg

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

If they did you'd get Systema prices for market stall springer performance 

you've just made the mistake i made a while back of mentioning whiskey/whisky in macks.....

*grabs popcorn*

also inb4 Guinness am best

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

How about the biggest fallacy of all times, told by the airsofter to himself or other people :

" if i buy this replica/gear, i'll have all i need/want and will defo not need to buy anything else ".

I think we've got a winner lol 👍

lentoblog00017b.jpg

& I have no idea why that pic has come up again, gotta be an issue with the update ?

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

How about the biggest fallacy of all times, told by the airsofter to himself or other people :

" if i buy this replica/gear, i'll have all i need/want and will defo not need to buy anything else ".

followed up with "i will never sell this gun"

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.