Anyone Care to Talk Me Out of This?

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My  standard  TM Sig P226 E2 has been up for sale a couple of times. 

I am not desperate to sell it but have no further use for a plastic skirmishing gun.

I have been looking at it again recently, and it is starting to grow on me. I have always liked Sigs. So I am contemplating removing it from the sales section and getting a metal Guarder kit for it. I know these are usually a nightmare to fit, but they are at least affordable, and there appear to be few if any better quality CNC kits like the Prime on the market. In any case they are too expensive for me.

Now that I can no longer skirmish, I am more of a collector who shoots pistols occasionally. As long as performance is reasonable for the modest demands I will make of it, I will be happy if I can just get it all together.. If it proves beyond me I can always send it to a tech.

I came across the first two old videos of somebody fitting Guarder frame, slide and other bits to a TM Sig. Episode 3 never materialised, which got me thinking that the bloke might have given up on it. The bloke at Rogue Studios also say s it is a bugger to fit, but the internal TM parts, once modified will fit OK in it.

I know it would be very hard for me, but I have plenty of time, and patience and I just wondered what members think of my idea. Apart from the slide, frame and recoil spring, and probably the barrel, are there any other parts that you think literally have to be changed to make the metal kit function?

• Supporters

Personally, & obviously this is just my opinion, but why bother ?

If your TM in its current form does everything you ask of it, & you readily admit it's likely to get less use not more, leave it be, throwing money in to it probably won't make perform any better, sure it'll be a bit heavier - a smidge more realistic, but it also may become a tiresome money pit that may end up disappointing you ?.

Work out how much all the "upgrades" will be, & then treat yourself to something else that's new/different from what you've previously had ?

It's what I'd do 😁

I 100% get where you're coming from. I rarely skirmish any more and yet have just put about £500 in to a Marui Gen.4 Glock 17. Before that I spent £300 on Gen.3 Marui Glock 17 with full Guarder kit. Thinking about it makes me think I was crazy to do so, yes it was something to overcome and I can be proud that I ended up with a working gun but the build process was far more stressful than I had anticipated. Long story short, it's not something I'd recommend. When you come to sell it, you'll likely be losing £200 instead of £50, so you'd just feel like all that f'ing and blinding was for nowt!

Thanks for all the responses.

May well give it a miss. 

I would probably have been better off buying a WE or KJW version, considering my modest requirements.

Although I have to admit the build quality of the TM is excellent. Great fit and function, no rattles.

59 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I 100% get where you're coming from. I rarely skirmish any more and yet have just put about £500 in to a Marui Gen.4 Glock 17. Before that I spent £300 on Gen.3 Marui Glock 17 with full Guarder kit. Thinking about it makes me think I was crazy to do so, yes it was something to overcome and I can be proud that I ended up with a working gun but the build process was far more stressful than I had anticipated. Long story short, it's not something I'd recommend. When you come to sell it, you'll likely be losing £200 instead of £50, so you'd just feel like all that f'ing and blinding was for nowt!

Well this is the other route I often took . I'd wait for a well priced 2nd hand gun that's kitted out then have a full metal and a stock frame/slide .

From what I remember you no longer possess a valid UKARA, so understand buying another RIF at this stage is not an option for you. All I would say from my experience, if you are dead set on getting a metal kit, send it to a tech from the start. You may tell yourself that's an option as a last resort but at that point you would have likely filed the wrong parts, scratched the paint etc, etc..

That's why I took my latest project straight to Luke at Negative Airsoft and he took his time to ensure he didn't damage the slide (as it was very expensive and brand new). For the minimal labour amount he charged, I have a RIF that not only is immaculate but works exactly as it should (negative effect on gas efficiency/cooldown is barely noticeable).

Good advice. Thanks.

I had thought about sending it to Luke at Negative Airsoft actually.

You are quite right. I no longer have UKARA and can't skirmish, so I am screwed for acquiring more rifs.

I have four WE Glocks and had considered off loading one of them. But then it occurred to me that every gun I sell, I will never be able to replace.

In my limited experience, plastic TM pistols are substantialy better than metal pistols from other manufacturers.  I understand the appeal of metal (I've thought about changing the slide on my HK45 for a metal one), but I can't help but recognize that the engineering in the rest of the gun was designed as a system.  Changing out parts negates the engineering work that went into it and is just as likely to harm performance as help it.  I guess my perspective is different because I'm in the USA, but if I were just a "collector", I would just spend my money on the real thing (and have, multiple times).  Nothing in airsoft can actually compare.  Outside of skirmishing, there's no real point for me in having airsoft guns so I struggle with the "collector" approach.  However, skirmishing with airsoft guns is truthfully a lot more fun than target shooting or plinking with real ones.  The flip side is that target shooting or plinking with real ones is much more fun than doing the same with airsoft guns.  Again, my perspective is likely highly skewed by the fact that I'm in the USA. 

• Supporters
On 08/09/2020 at 17:38, emilianoksa said:

But then it occurred to me that every gun I sell, I will never be able to replace.

Not necessarily true, while buying new from retailers may be problematic, with your considerable history here it shouldn't be an issue convincing classifieds sellers that you are/were a genuine "airsofter", even though your now a plinker rather than a skirmisher, & have no nefarious intent 😁

It would be extremely hypocritical of me to do that, given that I insist on a current UKARA from buyers for every rif I sell.😁

On 13/09/2020 at 02:14, OrangeTJ said:

In my limited experience, plastic TM pistols are substantialy better than metal pistols from other manufacturers.  I understand the appeal of metal (I've thought about changing the slide on my HK45 for a metal one), but I can't help but recognize that the engineering in the rest of the gun was designed as a system.  Changing out parts negates the engineering work that went into it and is just as likely to harm performance as help it.  I guess my perspective is different because I'm in the USA, but if I were just a "collector", I would just spend my money on the real thing (and have, multiple times).  Nothing in airsoft can actually compare.  Outside of skirmishing, there's no real point for me in having airsoft guns so I struggle with the "collector" approach.  However, skirmishing with airsoft guns is truthfully a lot more fun than target shooting or plinking with real ones.  The flip side is that target shooting or plinking with real ones is much more fun than doing the same with airsoft guns.  Again, my perspective is likely highly skewed by the fact that I'm in the USA. 

As an ex-firearm owner myself (I used to live abroad and had a couple of handguns) I see your point.

Airsoft pistols are for playing airsoft with, and firearms are for target work and general practice. And of course in the USA, self defence.

But I missed my Glock so much I had to buy a couple of WE G series pop guns in memory of it. They are at least pretty good facsimiles. 

And some airsoft pistols can still be fun to shoot in the garden or garage. I particularly like using my Hi Capas.  

Sometimes in life you just have to settle for second or even third best.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

It would be extremely hypocritical of me to do that, given that I insist on a current UKARA from buyers for every rif I sell.😁

I currently don't have ukara, have had it previously though, but my geographical location, current health issues affecting how often I get out to play, & finally the fact that I've not been impressed enough with any of my so called "local" sites to commit to any of them for the further 2 games, so it's likely to be a good while before my ukara is up & running again.

BUT

I've got a long term & considerable history on numerous Airsoft forums etc, & try to contribute pretty much daily to many active threads, so if I was to contact you regarding a rif you were selling, would you consider my "history", or would you still insist on ukara & nothing else ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2020 at 16:11, heroshark said:

Well this is the other route I often took . I'd wait for a well priced 2nd hand gun that's kitted out then have a full metal and a stock frame/slide .

So mate, it's Tezza again.

Anything you want for the TM Glock 17 gen4, coz I have some stuff as said.

Best Regards.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.