Ffs What Has Happened to Airsoft With This Influx of Single Shot Only Sites. WTF ( Contains Potty Language )

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I agree with it in some tight CQB environments, just stops that single pull of the trigger unloading 10 into someone at point blank range.

Woodland though, wouldn't bother playing there any more if it was single shot only. A friendly burst is needed some times to get through growth or just to make sure the person does actually feel it. A local site to me does the whole single shot inside a building but FA outside and shooting out and it's never hindered my day there other than some people in the building getting arsey over people transitioning from out to in and forgetting to go single shot.

Agreed. I swear people are becoming big tarts. My first regular site was Electrowerkz where it was all indoors CQB with full auto allowed and no pyros so rooms had to be cleared the hard way. Yes it did result in getting shot alot as each doorway would become a choke point to be overcome with sheer numbers, however the attitude was generally if you don't like it then don't play there. Saying that though, I've found semi only in cqb does allow the game to flow better, rather than end up as a stalemate as nobody wants to push forward. 

As for semi only in woodland, that to me would be a good reason to avoid the site. In fact on a faceache group I said exactly that about a site with a rule of no full auto under 100ft and was accused of wanting to "full auto people in the face at point blank". Even though 95% of the time I use semi auto outdoors anyway it's nice to have the option 

Overall it sounds to me like the site owner is pandering to whinning shits who're afraid of getting shot

47 minutes ago, Groot said:

Then on this weekend, a bunch of us went to a site, which had a number of buildings. 
If you were in the building, single shot. 
If you were shooting out of the buildings, single shot.
If you were shooting AT the buildings, single shot. 
If you were shooting down the site of buildings, single shot. 
Everywhere else, have at it.

F&O: The Base CQC?

2 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

F&O: The Base CQC?

Yes!

They also got a bit ancy if you shot for more than a second.

What if you have a slow ROF:P

3 minutes ago, Groot said:

Yes!

They also got a bit ancy if you shot for more than a second.

What if you have a slow ROF:P

Yeah, thought so. They had so many stipulations on FA there that I genuinely got confused a few times. I'm not the smartest but they seriously need to rework their rules imo - especially because I could recognise the site just from that!

So basically fuck you if you've invested in an LMG. Now I'll admit I spend the vast majority of my time in semi auto. I run limited capacity mags and have set my gun up to have maximum range and accuracy with a great semi trigger so I don't need to switch to full auto to get kills. That said limiting everyone to semi in woodland games is going to cause two things.

1) less dynamic gameplay as everyone has less firepower to hand, especially those with stock or low end guns so you're going to have less people willing to play creatively. 

2) and I think more importantly you're going to get people like you said with HPA, DSG and precocking builds intentionally trying to skirt around the rules, widening the gap between those with low end guns and those with expensive trigger response builds. 

In general you're just going to end up with everyone except a certain few having less fun and likely going somewhere else. 

12 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

So basically fuck you if you've invested in an LMG. Now I'll admit I spend the vast majority of my time in semi auto. I run limited capacity mags and have set my gun up to have maximum range and accuracy with a great semi trigger so I don't need to switch to full auto to get kills. That said limiting everyone to semi in woodland games is going to cause two things.

1) less dynamic gameplay as everyone has less firepower to hand, especially those with stock or low end guns so you're going to have less people willing to play creatively. 

2) and I think more importantly you're going to get people like you said with HPA, DSG and precocking builds intentionally trying to skirt around the rules, widening the gap between those with low end guns and those with expensive trigger response builds. 

In general you're just going to end up with everyone except a certain few having less fun and likely going somewhere else. 

Worse than that. Since most sites now also allow locked DMRs. You may as well just run a dmr or sniper. 

If you can build a DSG and lock it to semi, you have a game breaking gun. 
By those fairly common rules. You could run a 400FPS HPA with the world lightest binary trigger. 

I like to shoot in bursts. It is generally enough and it is kinder to your gun and battery. 
However, I would like the option to either hold down fire to hit a running target at range or to suppress a building while my team assaults it. 

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Not generally enforced here, but to perhaps shed some light perhaps its a way of forcing the hicap heroes to stop dumping half a mag into every bush that twitches then claim they couldnt hear the screams of hit over the sound of their arp.

I dont mind auto, but it does strike me that a lot of folk dont seem to remember their rifle has a selector switch.

I am not promoting overkill.

However, There is nothing wrong with raining down holy fire from a box mag, as long as you stop the moment you hear hit. 
Honestly, to me that is totally fine. 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Groot said:

I am not promoting overkill.

However, There is nothing wrong with raining down holy fire from a box mag, as long as you stop the moment you hear hit. 
Honestly, to me that is totally fine. 

Don't get me wrong i'm not making that insinuation, i'm suggesting that people who do fit that stereotype are perhaps the reason.

Auto especially in extended engagements in woodland is perfectly fine especially with some sense applied.

But ive played a fair few games recently where people have definately been too heavy on the trigger finger and too light on the selector and frankly i can see the sites might find it easier to bring in semi only than expend the effort getting folk to obey rule 1.

Danger, elements of devils advocate incoming.

Speaking purely on the side of woodland sites, my best guess is site have run some variant of 'single shot only' for Milsim events (if I understand correctly 'class' rules are the hotness with Milsim, can't speak from experience it's been an age since I attended one), and then found the games ran better than your standard 'Open Day'... then putting 2 and 2 together expecting 4. In no way getting 4,  but expecting it. There are obviously a heap of variables in that all the way from the attitude of folks in attendance, to how well organised the day is and how well marshalled the day is. But at a push I could at least see fair reason for trialing it.

As for CQB, as previously mentioned I imagine there are elements of safety to consider... at least we don't all have to run around in hard hats, steel toed boots and a high vis vest.

I'd certainly hope it isn't a very heavy handed way of trying to 'level the playing field', but I could see how that could be a conclusion that is drawn.

In the grand scheme of things I don't really hold a stake in it due to my weapons of choice, just trying to think through it logically on the off chance there is a reason aside pandering to a more, lets say, 'timid' audience.

Edit:

Caveat, I have not and likely will never run an airsoft event of any kind. But I imagine what constitutes as a good, well run and successful day as a player has at least slightly different to criteria to that of a site owner.

JuSt LeArN tO AiM.

That's the major (bullshit) argument in favour of semi only.

Yeah, as if tiny lightweight plastic pellets were known for their super duper consistency when fired by what's essentially a super expensive glorified musket.

Thank god I'm in a country where we don't have such stupid limitations.

41 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Yeah, thought so. They had so many stipulations on FA there that I genuinely got confused a few times. I'm not the smartest but they seriously need to rework their rules imo - especially because I could recognise the site just from that!

Also they need to buy a whistle.

I was unaffected by the single shot rule because SRS and MK23, but I'm generally not against some sort of semi/burst limit for CQB.  Woodland a different matter of course.

As ever though, it's using rules to try and cater for the weakest link. Ideally you wouldn't need them and would just have a quiet word with people who were trigger heavy, but like so many other things it's down to the quality of player (which of course is influenced by the quality of the marshalls, so it's either a vicious or a virtuous circle depending on which direction you're heading).

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Groot said:

When did airsofters become such pansy's?

When other airsofters started lobbing 1.13J 0.32g at 30rps?

However, I'd say that's a problem with ROF, not with auto.  And it's perfectly possible to make a semi-auto wanker gun - I won't give the twat the reward of a link, but we've probably seen the "Semi-auto, dude! / Brah, this is full auto!" video.

1 hour ago, Groot said:

Worse than that. Since most sites now also allow locked DMRs. You may as well just run a dmr or sniper. 

I agree, and if I get into woodland again, I'll likely end up going DMR.  But I can trust myself to follow a 1-in-flight, or 2/3 second delay rule both in the letter and in the spirit.

1 hour ago, Groot said:

Eh. A hose-beast could have 20 or more bbs in flight before the target reacts to the first hit, shouts, add another .15 seconds for the sound to reach the shooter (that's 4 bbs at 30rps just in itself) and then for the finger to come off the trigger.

Again though, that's an issue with ROF, and unless you're dumping your load at a few metres or you really do have the mythical "shoots like a laser" toy that's actually accurate at 50m+, it's unlikely to ever be that bad.

I've never felt overshot in woodland.

I have felt pretty aggrieved when a whole squad was taken out by some joker trigger-spamming a DMR from beyond our effective range though, and if you only allow semi auto, I agree that's where the game will go.

• Supporters

Bollocks to the lot of you😜, I play single shot irrespective of where I'm playing, I don't need a BB hose to get kills, cos I'm a real man 😏💪 

Jokes aside, seriously Its what I prefer, but I've only ever played one site where it was the norm (now closed😭), & it worked well for everyone there, but obviously not everyones cup of tea, especially if You've chucked a load of money at it getting the RPS up 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

And it's perfectly possible to make a semi-auto wanker gun

Just wait until I replace the motor on my arp9 :D

binary trigger memes all day long 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

When other airsofters started lobbing 1.13J 0.32g at 30rps?

However, I'd say that's a problem with ROF, not with auto.  And it's perfectly possible to make a semi-auto wanker gun - I won't give the twat the reward of a link, but we've probably seen the "Semi-auto, dude! / Brah, this is full auto!" video.

Yes and no.

I remember even 10-15 years ago at what I would say was the height of airsoft.
Most people had learned to replace the internal batteries with bigger badder ones in oversized PEQ's and in stock bags.
My M4 back then might now have had the range of an S hop today but it threw .25s a decent distance and the ROF on an m100 spring with a high speed motor and a 9.6 3300 Nicad was not much shy of todays. 

I agree with ROF but it is rare you see someone with an insane rate of fire. Fast yes, but not insane.
But it's the player that is going to be the issue. 

If someone builds their gun to be a laser hose, there is a good chance they might also play like a dick. 

This is where good marshalling makes all the difference, not silly rules you can easily circumvent. 

• Supporters

Maybe the answer to all the arguments is lo-caps, run what you like at whatever RPS you like, the only codicil being your only allowed to use  realistic low cap mags according to the gun your using.

Would definitely make people have to think about their playing style, or hit the gym to cater for the shit load of mags they'll want to carry. 🤔

16 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Maybe the answer to all the arguments is lo-caps, run what you like at whatever RPS you like, the only codicil being your only allowed to use  realistic low cap mags according to the gun your using.

Would definitely make people have to think about their playing style, or hit the gym to cater for the shit load of mags they'll want to carry. 🤔

I am all for banning high caps, unless on a support weapon.
But low caps are too hardcore.

Can we agree at 100 round midcaps?

I played a game day recently where everyone was limited to western era guns and it was the best days airsoft I've ever had.

Everything except for a gatling that was set up was single action, and had tiny mags.

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, Groot said:

Can we agree at 100 round midcaps?

Nope, Lo's, except support, they can have 300 rd hi-caps with 5 second burst limit.

I'm not asking anyone to shit in a bag & recycle their piss, just put some thought in to what we're replicating, & if they want to be a hosemonster, then they've got to put in a bit more effort.

Some of the limited ammo games I've played have been the best in twenty years of playing, if everyone abides by it then it works well, except when my team went to longmoor, touted as a lo-cap only game, pretty much visitors versus the home team/regulars, apparently the home side felt the lo-cap rule didn't apply to them & were hosing the shit out of everybody, & were also impervious to being hit as well, which the marshalling team thought was hilarious, glad they had a laugh, we vowed never to return & as we were a team of up to twenty-ish players at that time, that's a lot of future revenue to be losing, & a lot of others felt the same. 😠

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Groot said:

This is where good marshalling makes all the difference, not silly rules you can easily circumvent

Agreed.  If Captain Minigun turns up with his 30rps DSG (or 40rps scuba gun) and lets rip with long bursts, the solution isn't to limit everyone to semi-auto.  It's to ask, then tell him to keep it to short bursts.

And the problem is the player not the gun. In the "no full auto in buildings" video that I'm thinking of where the tosser is pre-firing semi in CQB faster than most folk can fire auto, that's a choice. The gun isn't making him do it. I'd expect him to just be yeeted right off the site.  One player's fees aren't worth the cost of setting the aspiration bar that high for every 16 year old who sees that and starts saving up his paper round money for a punishment gun just like it.

From my perspective this would become self regulating if everyone were forced to use realistic(ish) magazine capacities. You would see a lot more semi auto fire and full auto would nearly always be short controlled bursts (except for support weapons, which is fair). In this scenario if someone wants to dump a whole mag at every bush that moves, go for it, they might overshoot a few people and piss them off, but they will soon get bored after they run out of ammo after 10 minutes and that's the end of their game until the turn around.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.