Scopecam Woes.

snuff

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Not sure where to post this.I'm posting this as a warning for any budding youtubers and hobby filmers.I have a SJcam but I decided to opt for a slim/low profile Runcam,scopecam lite,with a 40mm lense.It arrived yesterday so I did the usual today,charge the battery,update the software and try settings.When it came to fit to my rail it never seemed to tighten or become solidly attached.When I investigated I found that the plastic mount had broken.I don't think I exerted any real pressure on it as I had read it can break,it never got any tighter so I removed it and investigated.

As for the picture quality,it's not the 4K version but even the 1080 60FPS isn't too good,it doesn't match the SJcam so not Go-pro quality either.

It is cited for airsofting use but I can't see that it will last long in the field.I'd expect better quality for £80 +tbh.I shall return it forthwith...

20200906_133317.jpg

@snuff 

Who/where did you but it from?

Was the packaging sealed and un-damaged?

£80 for a Runcam lite does seem rather cheap - I couldn’t find one for less than £96+delivery 

It’s interesting that you found the quality on the poor side - everyone seems to rave about it, I wonder if it’s a rebadged asian knockoff ?

Yes sorry £87.46.EBAY with an RC unbroken seal.They are £80 on Amazon.As I said it's not the 4k version.I did read that this was an issue with these cameras.I wanted it to be good but I couldn't overlook the poor quality casing,mount and even the picture.

Yea I saw those on Amazon - look like very good Chinese rebrands (9iMod) and I’m not a personal fan of eBay unless it’s for a 2nd hand door or window and for the extra 10-15 quid I would go direct to Runcam or buy from Skirmshop or a very reputable company who have good customer support and return policies.

usually I’m the “owt for nowt” kinda guy but when it’s something over £X then it’s direct only

Just going on what I can see on your image your does look a lighter colour than ones I’ve seen in person but that could be due to lighting and the plastic does seem to be a different texture but again that could be the image quantity/lighting.

Two “seemingly” different Amazon sellers for £80-ish the glaring thing that pop up is at the bottom of both of the Amazon description is a known thing when getting a cheap Chinese knock offs

Note:
1.Due to the difference between different monitors,the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. We guarantee the style is the same as shown in the pictures.
2.Due to the manual measurement and different measurement methods, please allow 1-3mm deviation.Thanks!

I know when I was looking for a scope shade to fit my scope where all Chinese ones with 1-3mm variance, any time people are pre-warning of a 3mm difference in a product that is injection moulded does ring those bells of worry and with the fact you say the quality of the recordings and the plastic broke with you just looking at it when attaching does seem to back up.

Sometimes cheaper isn’t always better :(

Agreed,but who pays the first price they see?The internet is great for finding deals,paying top dollar doesn't guarantee anything these days either.My £15 dashcam has the same quality picture.I'll crack on with my SJcam for now...😊

I agree on that I never buy anything on first sight/a whim I usually spend ages over pulling thr trigger on anything over £50 but remember the old adage “If something seems too good to be true, it probably is not.”

if you haven’t sent it back yet any chance you pop the lens cover and see what the lens/sensor is ? I’m intrigued on the bad quality of the video 

Got a reply;

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fruncam.zendesk.co

RunCam Support (Customer Services)

Sep 9, 2020, 12:01 GMT+8

Hello,

Thanks for your reaching out.

Please download the RUNCAM APP, if you could coonect it, it is genuine.

Regards,
Stella T.
RunCam Customer Service

Bearing that in mind my review stays the same,absolute rubbish.

This is the RUNCAM SCOPECAM LITE not the 4K version.

coonect lol

Interesting comment from the reply, I was watching a YouTube vid and he was complaining he couldn’t connect to the device AKASTATEN is the guys name @ 2:38 and tbh the image quality wasn’t overly impressive either.

I wonder if the 4K version suffers the same breaking issue ?

Crap reply really but that's it,mine did connect so it's genuine...🤣..oh well it's their product.

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2020 at 22:34, snuff said:

Not sure where to post this.I'm posting this as a warning for any budding youtubers and hobby filmers.I have a SJcam but I decided to opt for a slim/low profile Runcam,scopecam lite,with a 40mm lense.It arrived yesterday so I did the usual today,charge the battery,update the software and try settings.When it came to fit to my rail it never seemed to tighten or become solidly attached.When I investigated I found that the plastic mount had broken.I don't think I exerted any real pressure on it as I had read it can break,it never got any tighter so I removed it and investigated.

As for the picture quality,it's not the 4K version but even the 1080 60FPS isn't too good,it doesn't match the SJcam so not Go-pro quality either.

It is cited for airsofting use but I can't see that it will last long in the field.I'd expect better quality for £80 +tbh.I shall return it forthwith...

20200906_133317.jpg

No I had missed this. The original scope cam was an aluminium body the new ones are plastic crap with the worst video I have seen and I was expecting it to be so much better.

I emailed runcam about the lousy volume and recording and got a crap reply asking me to send a video of it. Mine was the expensive full scope cam what a piece of shit!

If mine is a copy its the most exact I have seen. I no it is not a copy.

The camera only records a half decent picture if it is tripod mounted or I suppose fitted to a gimbal it needs stabilization!.

The sound volume even after firmware upgrade is very quiet and sounds quite choppy as if it is missing half the sound.

I just wasted £130

• 1 month later...

@snuff: I totally agree with you. In my opinion a cheap china produkt. Really bad haptic. Very poor processing. In my case the first battery was so bad that I had to remove it and put it back in, every time I wanted to turn the camera on. The support told me that I should wrap I layer tape around the battery so it will fit better. And I should bend some of the internal pins so the contact is better. It helped a little. A new battery was even better but far from good haptic. I had the Scopecam (not the lite version I think). I wish they upgrade the product, it could be so great because there is no other option. I'd rather pay more to get a camera with the gopro haptic and quality. After corona I'll test the gopro 9 as a scopecam but unfortenutaly is has only a 1.2xZoom (digital)... so i have to zoom into the 5k picture and hope it will prodide useful footage. But I'm still on the search for a better solution.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like I'll be holding off buying a run can then....anyone's magically get any better?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.