The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

The day didn't start too well, with me deciding not to carry the aap smg and a teammate tripping and bashing his side torso quite hard on an exposed root on the 2nd game.

Nothing serious but he got us worried for at least 30 seconds.

Games went relatively well despite the heat and humidity being annoying, didn't play a single defense which is unusual for me (I try to play at least 70/30 just to have some variety).

• Supporters

Pretty decent day yesterday.  As statused, it started poorly with an s-hop in my new DMR build that was protruding slightly into the barrel and skying BBs even with no hop applied (and even with the hop arm removed).  So it was back to the G36 for the morning, all good.

Fortunately I'd brought the box-o-bits and swapped in a Maple Leaf and regular arm and nub over lunch, and got it dialled in nicely. DMR suits the way I like to play, I've never been one for sending clouds of BBs downrange - but can still do so with Mr Full Auto Sidearm if necessary.

image.thumb.png.ab3e257af2ae7726a6209a3a73497aff.png

On that, I'm coming round to the conclusion that airsoft guns have got so good that they're making play less fun.  Pushing into solid streams of laser-like BBs gets old pretty quickly.  We had fairly low numbers, which made for fewer BBs in the air and a better day for everyone.

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

On that, I'm coming round to the conclusion that airsoft guns have got so good that they're making play less fun.  Pushing into solid streams of laser-like BBs gets old pretty quickly.

Yup, although for me they are taking the skill element out of the equation.

Back then, we used to overcome the opponent with skills, whether it was about camouflage, or picking the right moment to fire or going for a giga flanking manoeuvre.

Now though, with all the "pay to win" plug and play r-hopped barrels, people are more inclined to sit behind the same tree for 20 minutes plinking at each other from hyperbolic distances, effectively making games more static.

7 hours ago, MiK said:

WOW!!! That long ??!! :P

Yeah, when we realized it was nothing serious we proceeded to mock him for the rest of the day :P

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

Yup, although for me they are taking the skill element out of the equation.

Back then, we used to overcome the opponent with skills, whether it was about camouflage, or picking the right moment to fire or going for a giga flanking manoeuvre.

Now though, with all the "pay to win" plug and play r-hopped barrels, people are more inclined to sit behind the same tree for 20 minutes plinking at each other from hyperbolic distances, effectively making games more static.

Not so sure with the skill element, if anything its adding a level of marksmanship especially for snap-shooting and you do still need to employ tactics such as flanking, indeed i'd say they're even more necessary now as you cant just run towards the enemy cod style and expect to survive.

That is of course assuming a rough level of parity, if you're the only one there with a well dialled in pew amongst a sea of rentals then yes it does make for a point and click adventure.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you do still need to employ tactics such as flanking

Indeed, the last game of the day was abandoned because it was run as a choke point game with no flanking, and the attacking team (us) just couldn't push, no way, no how, and simply gave up.

5 hours ago, Skara said:

people are more inclined to sit behind the same tree for 20 minutes plinking at each other from hyperbolic distances

That. I mean, that's why we're there, to shoot toy guns.  It's just that becomes impossible to complete capture-the-thing when both teams are on infinite respawns.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Indeed, the last game of the day was abandoned because it was run as a choke point game with no flaking, and the attacking team (us) just couldn't push, no way, no how, and simply gave up.

That. I mean, that's why we're there, to shoot toy guns.  It's just that becomes impossible to complete capture-the-thing when both teams are on infinite respawns.

That does sound like a badly designed/managed game.

There's no point playing if there's no way to win.

It may be the last of the day but jeez, simple zombies would be better than that.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, EDcase said:

That does sound like a badly designed/managed game.

There's no point playing if there's no way to win.

It may be the last of the day but jeez, simple zombies would be better than that.

The plan was reasonable in principle; the defenders could only respawn when they had a group of 5 waiting at the spawn.  However, the spawn was too close to the objective (and not properly enforced), and the defenders figured out that they could just call themselves out when they had 3 or 4 waiting, run (half way) to the spawn, and get the whole group back in.

Meanwhile, the attackers just bogged down and concentrated on shooting rather than pushing.  I dropped the DMR and went in with the MP5K but got hosed down every time.

No big deal, not everything works, but it's not the first time they've run this, and the problems with it are fairly obvious.  It needs solid marshalling to stop the insta-spawns, but by that time the marshals were more interested in playing with a drone rather than sorting it out.

It wouldn't be airsoft without something to complain about. ;) 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Indeed, the last game of the day was abandoned because it was run as a choke point game with no flanking, and the attacking team (us) just couldn't push, no way, no how, and simply gave up.

ahh yes, the game that's more designed to empty magazines than actually be winnable.

had something similar, very limited flanking opportunities, although in fairness if they'd let me go where i was planning to then it would have made things very hard for the defenders as you'd have the perfect spot to wipe them out where anyone you couldn't hit could easily be got from the frontline.

Wow. If marshalls are ignoring cheating and letting the game go to ratshit, rather than do their job I doubt I'd be wanting to go back

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Wow. If marshalls are ignoring cheating and letting the game go to ratshit, rather than do their job I doubt I'd be wanting to go back

Eh, it was the end of the day, we were winding down a bit anyway.  It's not a job that I'd be willing to do for love, sweetie money or token freebies, so I'm not criticising.  My main point is that the ROF, accuracy and magazine capacities out there makes for pretty withering fire and makes pushing objectives a Quixotic task.

There's been talk about limiting the site to semi, either when shooting into / out of buildings, or even just a flat prohibition except for actual support guns (not ARPs with box mags).

Semi only sites, lol.

How to turn an enjoyable hobby into a shit show just because someone got offended by a swarm of angry bbs in his butt.

7 minutes ago, Skara said:

Semi only sites, lol.

How to turn an enjoyable hobby into a shit show just because someone got offended by a swarm of angry bbs in his butt.

I expect you played goldeneye on the n64 with auto aim 🙄

And on the bond theme, Jill St. John demonstrating how to use an arp 9 with a drum magazine.

I would share her level of enthusiasm 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

Semi only sites, lol.

better to do ammo limits, you can plink on semi or go hose but find yourself out of the game and back to the car to refill after 5 minutes.

Unless it's a milsim, limited ammo games are the same as semi only.

Maybe a bit less of a shit show, but still bad (imo)

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Skara said:

Maybe a bit less of a shit show, but still bad (imo)

it's a hard question, ultimately there's always gonna be the hicap heroes who will cut down every tree they see that twitches wrongly, there are people who will lost their shit if they recieve more than a single hit, and the rest of the pack who are somewhere in between.

one of those problems that wouldn't exist if people weren't assholes.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

It's almost as if it's entirely subjective based on the element of the surprisingly diverse yet extremely niche hobby you enjoy most eh?

a statement that can apply far too generally.

problem is, how to keep the majority happy and have their game (mostly) unspoiled by those who's idea's of what's acceptable lie very much at the extreme?

for example lets say my idea of an acceptable amount of full auto was half a magazine per trigger pull at 50 rounds per second, i'm certainly having fun but i suspect there are very few people who would be happy to be on the recieving end of that.

I think it's up to the refs to stop people from being assholes, by making them sit one game out to straight up bans.

I also understand the economic aspect of running an airsoft site and that each player brings money to pay the rent.

But from what I've gathered from my years on this forum, it looks like most sites go with the easy route of limiting ammo/fire modes instead of addressing the root cause (assholes).

I am sure that a site owner who applies a non bullshit policy and actually kicks/bans idiots would get way more customers at his events.

Edited by Skara

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

a statement that can apply far too generally.

In which case we'll have to agree to disagree in part. I have zero interest in contributing to a brainstorm of ideas which ultimate lean toward my own biases, if it was a 'fixable' side of the hobby it would have been 'fixed' by now... because it certainly isn't new.

But I stand by my statement, it does indeed apply generally... because stating that something is subjective is doing just that. Making a statement which seeks to catch everyone within it. The statement I made in no way attempts to draw a conclusion... other than that this is conversation that could literally circle forever.

(In no way intending to come across as abrasive or confrontational, just wanted to highlight I'm aware is was a general statement and that this was the intend when I made it).

I hate arp 9 and drum mags 

If you find that abrasive/abusive/confrontational 

I pity your fragile constitution, I take pleasure in diversity and am fully aware I like rifs that induce vomiting in others but I don’t suddenly not like them because someone on a forum questions my tastes

By the way I hate arp 9 and drum mags( in case I’ve been too subtle)

Edited by Stratton Oakmont

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Skara said:

I think it's up to the refs to stop people from being assholes, by making them sit one game out to straight up bans.

I also understand the economic aspect of running an airsoft site and that each player brings money to pay the rent.

But from what I've gathered from my years on this forum, it looks like most sites go with the easy route of limiting ammo/fire modes instead of addressing the root cause (assholes).

I am sure that a site owner who applies a non bullshit policy and actually kicks/bans idiots would get way more customers at his events.

a fair point, and indeed it is all too common.

not sure if a site that would wield the banhammer regularly (or in many cases at all) would necessarily get more customers, but they sure would get the same customers coming back.

41 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

if it was a 'fixable' side of the hobby it would have been 'fixed' by now... because it certainly isn't new.

see herein lies the problem, there are elements of this hobby that are indeed unfixable, and the longer i've been playing the more and more it's putting me off because "oh someone's got godmode again" or "yep, someone's running spicy again" or "someone's hosing everything in sight again", nothing out of the ordinary, all the same stuff that annoys us all and happens all the time, which is kinda the point.

and while i'd like to explore potential options to fix these issues, it's ultimately me being in denial that the only real solution is to just not play the game, which sucks because a good day with a good crowd this hobby is amazing fun.

47 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

(In no way intending to come across as abrasive or confrontational, just wanted to highlight I'm aware is was a general statement and that this was the intend when I made it).

yeah i wasn't objecting to it being a general statement, i was mourning the truth of it being a general statement.

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

see herein lies the problem, there are elements of this hobby that are indeed unfixable, and the longer i've been playing the more and more it's putting me off because "oh someone's got godmode again" or "yep, someone's running spicy again" or "someone's hosing everything in sight again", nothing out of the ordinary, all the same stuff that annoys us all and happens all the time, which is kinda the point.

and while i'd like to explore potential options to fix these issues, it's ultimately me being in denial that the only real solution is to just not play the game, which sucks because a good day with a good crowd this hobby is amazing fun.

While aware it is in no way something that can/will/should apply to everyone I found the best fix for the usual suspects of frustration was to ‘fix myself instead’. Not as drastic as it may sound, I simply changed the primary reasons I show up. Those being:

A more fun way of getting some cardio in.

A chance to meet up with pals.

To get out of the house and do something just for me.

And coming off a game, more fuel for messing about rearranging my load bearing kit because I thoroughly enjoy ‘chasing perfection’.

The actual ‘me shooty, me get ‘kills’, grenade go bang’ side of the hobby is pretty much secondary to me at this point. As long as I can tick off a couple of the above, cardio and getting out of the house being all but guaranteed, I leave a day of pewing happy.

Now, folks can absolutely be stubborn with the ‘but I shouldn’t have to’ speech… which is an entirely fine viewpoint. But it isn’t going to increase your chances of enjoying more games than you don’t any time soon.

P.S. FWIW I think the prevalence of ‘BB hose, hot gnu and non-hit takers’ are entirely exaggerated in a lot of cases to try justify why folks just didn’t enjoy a day out. I might just be fortunate with the many game days I’ve attended over the years, but I definitely hear about those 3 candidates on the internet more than I’ve ever experience them.