The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

11 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Do you use the gradations on your reticle or Kentucky windage?  

Reticle. It's not an exact science with airsoft guns, but I know roughly where on the reticle to aim at 75m. Wind is harder to adjust for because airsoft projectiles are so light and have so little energy so they get affected a lot and it's really inconsistent as to how they're affected. Airsoft sniping in the wind feels like you're just flirting with Lady Luck and hoping she appreciates your advances.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Impulse said:

Wind is harder to adjust for because airsoft projectiles are so light and have so little energy so they get affected a lot and it's really inconsistent as to how they're affected. Airsoft sniping in the wind feels like you're just flirting with Lady Luck and hoping she appreciates your advances.

Ah, the dichotomy of sniping.  You're either in the woods and limited by how far you can see, or in the open and at the mercy of the elements.

I think we tend to remember those 75m+ (airsoft units) shots because they're so rare.

I took a trip down to Bunker 51 for the first time. On the whole I enjoyed it as the staff were friendly, helpful and knew what they were doing. On the down side I found there were some who seemed reluctant to call hits and needed 4 or 5 shots before calling it

Also I'm glad I picked a mid week game as there was only 13 players on site. I got the impression that if the site was fully booked (30 is the max iirc) it would be far too crowded.

All in all I think I'll go back, but probably not at a weekend 

Last Sunday's game was a bit crap.

A few questionable "misses" from really close and in general I wasn't enjoying it.

Also decided to get rid of the Helikon TMR, not a bad rig by any means, it's just that my priorities have shifted and it doesn't fit the bill anymore.

In the meantime I borrowed an HSGI SureGrip belt from a friend to try out, I've been thinking about building a belt kit for a while especially for those 8h+ games where mobility and weight saving is key.

Edited by Skara

6 hours ago, Skara said:

I've been thinking about building a belt kit

My belt kit is minimalist and has evolved over the years.  It consists of several types of camo and is ugly as sin, but works very well.  I used a set of shoulder straps from a bergen to stop it hanging too low.  

I could have spent serious money for something less useful.  

@Madhouse sounds like a great session. Also seems your doing it right getting eyepro etc first before your UKARA and not getting a 2 tone. I too bought many accessories and sights etc ready to go on my rifle for when I got it.

@Khyber I’ve been taking on board some good advice about kit. Nothing wrong with being a rental and no-one looks down on you for it (as long as you’re not a dick), if you ask me it’s a great conversation starter as people generally want to help the newbie and it’s a great excuse for them to show off their kit. I’ve been loving it TBH!

The way I looked at it was eyepro, mask etc are relatively low cost, so if I bailed after two games then so be it but at least I’ve had a comfortable couple of games. Getting a RIF early was unnecessary pressure to like it and that’s without all the issues that’d go with buying one without knowing much about the sport - hell I’d have probably got a DMR for CQB before I started playing! 😂

My rifle wish list has changed many times (pistol not so much) and I’ve learnt a lot about what I like and don’t like in terms of aesthetics. I’ve also learnt more about my playing style and the game itself.

Accessories I have so far are weapon lights and tracer units. Optics are a whole other minefield!

Great approach. Very similar to me. I bought PC eyepro and lower mesh mask after my first game to make my next few rental games more enjoyable which they certainly did as I hated the full face fencing style mesh masks rentals got. And like you, it's a great excuse to talk to seasoned players about kit whilst your learning what you like and play style etc.. I bought a light, bifrost tracer, and a few different style optics to try for when I got my rifle. So far I have bought very little which I wasn't keen on. Sold on one optic but everything else I'm happy with my choices. I now have a TM MWS GBBR and a ASG Scorpion Evo. Love them both. 

When it comes to optics IMO, a £25-£30 red dot is more than sufficient for the accuracy of our pews. Durability is the only real factor at that price. But I have been lucky so far and all my cheap optics are doing great. Your mileage may vary. 

The only thing I have realised about cheap lights is they are not very good. The tape switches only work intermittently. I am now considering saving for a mid range "real steel" weapon light. But a cheapo will get you going. And with the dark nights rolling in they certainly level up evening games when the light fades away. Top tip... don't hold a position too long if using lights as your position is instantly compromised when used. Keep moving and keep control of the surprise factor.

Look forward to hearing how things go for you as you progress.

Played for the first time yesterday. The day was fun but spoilt partially by some seasoned players (who appear to have came as a group) clearly not calling some/most of their hits. Our team got rolled all day until the last game where we pulled off a win in a hostage game.

Glad I bought a helmet/goggles/mask setup because I took a fair few BBs to the head. In other news, does anyone have recommendations for armoured gloves as my hands also took a beating from BBs.

Yes I would recommend the mechanix gloves as well although a well placed shot will still be felt,they will take most of the fuckmeness out of it especially in winter games.

Regards 

Thanks for the suggestions. I already had the Viper Tactical gloves which are very similar to the Mechanix ones. I got shot a fair few times in the hands/fingers resulting in a few "ah ufck me" and other choice words.

Another run out at Camouflage Bournemouth for me and the boy today, and yeah, not too shabby overall.

The small number of players and the fairly compact site made for some decent gameplay, helped by almost perfect airsoft conditions; dry, neither too hot, or too cold and very little wind. 

The boy, running around with his absolutely stock Cyma AKS-74U was dropping bodies like it was going out of fashion. Me, with my MWS couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo 😂 Swapped it out for the NGRS416 in the third game and things improved significantly. Last time out I stripped a piston, but after a brief trip north of the border for Sam at KOA to work his magic, it performed really well, enabling an average shot at best like me to score some good long range hits.

Hit-taking took a noticeable dip in the afternoon (2 o'clock blues kicking in on the opposing team it seemed) but overall a good day.

Today was also my first run out with the "best fog-free eyepro in the game" according to people sponsored to say that by Bloc Tactical. I've mentioned before that I can sweat in a snowstorm, so fogging is a real issue for me. Usually i switch between Sawflys, Bolle Raiders and Bolle x1000 goggles, with a hefty spray of anti-fog, so I took a punt on Bloc. Are they truly fog-free? No, not for me. Are they better than average at staying clear? Yes, I reckon so. Be interesting to see how they hold up on a colder day, when I'm blowing out my hoop.

7 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

Another run out at Camouflage Bournemouth for me and the boy today, and yeah, not too shabby overall.

The small number of players and the fairly compact site made for some decent gameplay, helped by almost perfect airsoft conditions; dry, neither too hot, or too cold and very little wind. 

The boy, running around with his absolutely stock Cyma AKS-74U was dropping bodies like it was going out of fashion. Me, with my MWS couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo 😂 Swapped it out for the NGRS416 in the third game and things improved significantly. Last time out I stripped a piston, but after a brief trip north of the border for Sam at KOA to work his magic, it performed really well, enabling an average shot at best like me to score some good long range hits.

Hit-taking took a noticeable dip in the afternoon (2 o'clock blues kicking in on the opposing team it seemed) but overall a good day.

Today was also my first run out with the "best fog-free eyepro in the game" according to people sponsored to say that by Bloc Tactical. I've mentioned before that I can sweat in a snowstorm, so fogging is a real issue for me. Usually i switch between Sawflys, Bolle Raiders and Bolle x1000 goggles, with a hefty spray of anti-fog, so I took a punt on Bloc. Are they truly fog-free? No, not for me. Are they better than average at staying clear? Yes, I reckon so. Be interesting to see how they hold up on a colder day, when I'm blowing out my hoop.

Interesting. I'm literally 10mins from the site - but not played it yet for airsoft (played paintball there though). It's on my 'to-do' list, but UCAP Valiant is my favourite at the moment and I rather play in the prison for a few quid extra and an hours drive.

I ran a bone-stock Cyma AKS-74U at Ironsight a couple of years ago (subsequently sold it stupidly) - the newer ones with blue internals were brilliant for the money (£120 in old TG prices).

Gave up on glasses years ago - paintball googles with a fan for the win - no fog even with me wearing prescription specs underneath.

Yes camouflage is on my list as well.

I drive right past it most days.

My grandson is only ten minutes away as well so I keep nagging him to join and invite me down lol.

Pleased that you and your son had a good time.👍

Regards 

First time with op-tac at the kingdom on Saturday, for a 12hr battle sim event. Initial briefing covered all the health and safe stuff and broad rules for the day such as; medics, surrender, capture, etc. With a closed game brief with objectives and timings held for each team in their own fob just before game on.

Games went well, some nice variety in objectives to play throughout the day, as well as time and vip exclusive tasks.

Structured brake / cease fire allowing for provided food if ordered and wanted by the players, being the only stoppage of play throughout the day.

The site is a good mix of natural environment and built structures spread over large area with plenty of elevation changes.

Facilities wise some of the best I've seen on airsoft events; wooden cabins, solid fixture toilet and shower block which was clean and fresh.

With some good footwear and play you will have a cracking day there. I'll be going back without a doubt.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, MrTea said:

Viper Tactical gloves

Eh, Viper.  See also, meh, Nuprol.

I cheap out on a lot of stuff, and tend to buy twice and cry twice, but would thoroughly recommend the Mechanix M-Pact gloves linked above.  I've tried gloves with both less and more armour, and the M-Pacts hit the sweet spot for protection and trigger...ability.

Had a decent day out at Killzone Airsoft. A short 10 minute drive from my house which is always welcome!

Ran my MTW as a DMR instead of "AEG" was sending 0.36's a really nice distance. 

I was player marshal to help the owners out who are good mates of mine. A good group of players turned up and some decent games played. Still very much finding their feet with what game modes work on the site 

Got some lovely MK23 kills, probably more with my pistol today than DMR.

Borrowed a range finder and Joe (one of the owners) kindly let me take pot shots at him with my sniper at 85m. Unfortunately the wind was pretty strong but im fairly confident on a calmer day I've have domed him at 80m 😂

Towards the end of the day there was only 5 of us left so did a couple of free for all style games, probably should have just gone home though as Im now on my first night shift and im incredibly tired.

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Interesting. I'm literally 10mins from the site - but not played it yet for airsoft (played paintball there though). It's on my 'to-do' list, but UCAP Valiant is my favourite at the moment and I rather play in the prison for a few quid extra and an hours drive.

I ran a bone-stock Cyma AKS-74U at Ironsight a couple of years ago (subsequently sold it stupidly) - the newer ones with blue internals were brilliant for the money (£120 in old TG prices).

Gave up on glasses years ago - paintball googles with a fan for the win - no fog even with me wearing prescription specs underneath.

I think I've mentioned it to you before that the prison is on my/our list too. Must get out there as I'm really keen on their rules over mag capacity and RIF types. Don't get me wrong, I love a regular skirmish, but the number of HPA drum mag AAP-01s, binary triggers and M4-magged pistols I see does put me off a bit. Getting a hit because you've blasted 150 rounds into a bush seems like a hollow victory to me but then again I'm not chasing COD-style kill streaks. I'm also, in airsoft terms anyway, an old bugger!

That AKS-74U is tremendous! The power and range is really impressive for a sub-£200 gun. Definitely one that's staying in the arsenal with the only change I want to make is to put a Deans connector on. Much as the lad loves his, he's now asking me for a Specna M4!

I do think that a fan is the best solution, and may go that route with the Bolle goggles. I do prefer the comfort of glasses though, but my desire to see clearly trumps that 😂

16 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Eh, Viper.

They're actually very good, mine have had masses of abuse, are covered in dirt / blood / snot, and are very comfortable.

16 hours ago, leadly said:

Had a decent day out at Killzone Airsoft. A short 10 minute drive from my house which is always welcome!

Ran my MTW as a DMR instead of "AEG" was sending 0.36's a really nice distance. 

I was player marshal to help the owners out who are good mates of mine. A good group of players turned up and some decent games played. Still very much finding their feet with what game modes work on the site 

Got some lovely MK23 kills, probably more with my pistol today than DMR.

Borrowed a range finder and Joe (one of the owners) kindly let me take pot shots at him with my sniper at 85m. Unfortunately the wind was pretty strong but im fairly confident on a calmer day I've have domed him at 80m 😂

Towards the end of the day there was only 5 of us left so did a couple of free for all style games, probably should have just gone home though as Im now on my first night shift and im incredibly tired.

Haha I was there too, I'm the big lad who got you at the end of the zombie warm-up game by complete accident (and then got shot by everyone for the next couple of hours). I enjoyed KIllzone, disappointing I couldn't stay the whole day but I'll be back on the 2nd. Really enjoyed the woodlands CQB feel they're going for.

The lad and I spent Sunday at Airsoft Plantation in Essex.  It was a really good day of airsoft with some well designed games, two good teams and a great bunch of players

There were very few, if any, hit taking issues and the whole day was conducted in an excellent manner by both staff and players.

I have been there a few times now and have always had a great day.

The QBZ-97 got quite a lot of interest, especially with the fake AK mags making it look very much like an early QBZ-95, as did the SLR which is, unfortunately, now rather poorly.

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

They're actually very good, mine have had masses of abuse, are covered in dirt / blood / snot, and are very comfortable.

My issue is that, like Nuprol, they're rebadging generic gear that you can buy on eBay or AliExpress for a bit less.  That also means that they're at the mercy of their suppliers pulling a bait-and-switch.

Which of these would you recommend?

https://www.vipertacticalshop.co.uk/tactical-clothing/tactical-gloves.html

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

My issue is that, like Nuprol, they're rebadging generic gear that you can buy on eBay or AliExpress for a bit less.  That also means that they're at the mercy of their suppliers pulling a bait-and-switch.

Which of these would you recommend?

https://www.vipertacticalshop.co.uk/tactical-clothing/tactical-gloves.html

They are rebadging slightly better stuff these days but I would still go for Mechanix over them every day mostly because Mechanix gloves actually fit me properly. Pretty much every other manufacturer I've tried has either had fingers too long or the thumb is a weird size.