The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

On 14/06/2022 at 02:10, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

As far as I went, guiding my wife up to the very perimeter of the enemy firebase was amazing.  We got right up on the wire and then I let loose the RPK.  We slotted many yanks.  An experienced support gunner giving it large at close range is an ouch to behold tbh.  After the game a couple of GIs came over, still laughing, and shook our hands.  Getting within three feet of the objective unobserved was a real achievement.  It made our hard 20+ minute crawl more than worthwhile.  TBH a more experienced sideman and I could have made hay, but there we go.  We should have hit and run, but we tried to take the full garrison on.  It ended predictably.

As one of the Yanks who was lounging around listening to Rolling Stones hits when you attacked I salute your efforts.  I could not believe you'd got that close without anyone spotting you, and the woeful cry of "Medic" woke 1st Platoon from it's post-lunch slumber as we tried to work out what the hell was going on.  Believe me we all got a telling off afterwards about inattentive sentries, which clearly didn't go in, as after we'd evited the NVA/VC from the Firebase later in the day, I made the mistake of standing in the open outside my bunker, only to hear a "ping" as a sniper shot bounced off my helmet, and watched our medic run straight past me...

From the US point of view it was quite unnerving with all the hit and run tactics, but I did laugh at the number of times the VC attacked our position just at the point relief troops were being rotated in.  If only you'd turned up a few minutes earlier we'd have been in serious trouble.  As it was 1st Platoon was down to 3 men defending our radio mast at one point, having lost our officer and the radio guy, which made for an intense period waiting for our relief to turn up.

Anyway I completely agree with all the sentiments.  The gameplay was great and I'd thoroughly recommend these events just for the atmosphere and amazing effort put into the kits.

On 10/06/2022 at 08:54, MAX DICKER said:

OK, so that's pretty much what I figured. I thought there might be a reason I was unaware of that made more sense. Surely if you're playing close quarters you should expect to get shot at very close range, at energies up to 1j no matter what the weight? I mean, 1j stings but its not earth shattering. I honestly don't see the problem here.

1 Joule, less than that, will blind you.

I have been hit in my goggles and the impact caused eye irritation from the impact, it doesn't take much to irritate the eye or damage it.

Good game this week, none of the overkill of couple of weeks back... but the teens playing were not taking their hits  :( 

First game I was hit once in the 20 minute game.  

Best game was cash grab, I got 8 of the haul myself, our team definitely won as couple of guys grabbed bags from the opposing team.

12 hours ago, AirSniper said:

I have been hit in my goggles and the impact caused eye irritation from the impact, it doesn't take much to irritate the eye or damage it.

Not sure why that would be. I get direct hits to my eye pro at close range VERY often and have never had a single issue. I can only think that perhaps the impact deformed your goggles causing them to apply pressure to your eye or area around it.

12 hours ago, AirSniper said:

Best game was cash grab, I got 8 of the haul myself, our team definitely won as couple of guys grabbed bags from the opposing team.

Objectives are so much sweeter when you mug them off the opposing team.

2 minutes ago, MAX DICKER said:

Not sure why that would be. I get direct hits to my eye pro at close range VERY often and have never had a single issue. I can only think that perhaps the impact deformed your goggles causing them to apply pressure to your eye or area around it.

Mesh goggles perhaps?

Guest Mr. No_Face

One of those days where my head just wasn't in it. Hardly a fraction as aggressive as I usually am, didn't push any objectives and overall didn't enjoy myself much to be honest. I've also come to the realisation that I find certain open field/woodlands maps, dull and unsatisfying.  By the time lunchtime came around I found myself taking a 2 hour break and falling asleep on the grass.

Besides that hit taking was decent I guess. Team communication was pretty shite as most the team would only communicate with their own peers....Which ultimately meant that our team were moving around sporadically.

My MWS GBBR had another flawless performance with not a single Issue and was hopping beautifully. I gotta say the more I use this gun, the more it's quickly becoming my favourite ever Rig. There was also a fellow MWS user on the opposing team who was having issues with one of his mags, so It was cool to be able to help him out and give him some advice.

Overall: Pretty shitty day but I'm very satisfied with the upgrades I made to my loadout. No dropped mags or equipment and a comfortable,  complimentary belt set up. Come to think about it it's probably my most comfortable Loadout yet.

EDIT: Could probably do with some elbow pads though, to make prone positions a little  more comfortable.

287253379_5713397615337942_125895629592947234_n.thumb.jpg.715b42a3c55cff71cea126d52cfd6855.jpg

Edited by Mr. No_Face

8 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

Objectives are so much sweeter when you mug them off the opposing team.

Mesh or polycarbonate I find that a shot to the goggles makes a contact lens fall out.  Bloody irritating!

11 hours ago, Mr. No_Face said:

One of those days where my head just wasn't in it. Hardly a fraction as aggressive as I usually am, didn't push any objectives and overall didn't enjoy myself much to be honest. I've also come to the realisation that I find certain open field/woodlands maps, dull and unsatisfying.  By the time lunchtime came around I found myself taking a 2 hour break and falling asleep on the grass.

Besides that hit taking was decent I guess. Team communication was pretty shite as most the team would only communicate with their own peers....Which ultimately meant that our team were moving around sporadically.

My MWS GBBR had another flawless performance with not a single Issue and was hopping beautifully. I gotta say the more I use this gun, the more it's quickly becoming my favourite ever Rig. There was also a fellow MWS user on the opposing team who was having issues with one of his mags, so It was cool to be able to help him out and give him some advice.

Overall: Pretty shitty day but I'm very satisfied with the upgrades I made to my loadout. No dropped mags or equipment and a comfortable,  complimentary belt set up. Come to think about it it's probably my most comfortable Loadout yet.

EDIT: Could probably do with some elbow pads though, to make prone positions a little  more comfortable.

287253379_5713397615337942_125895629592947234_n.thumb.jpg.715b42a3c55cff71cea126d52cfd6855.jpg

I've had days like that, for some reason I'm just not feeling it. I think like you woodland sites don't do it for me any more. Just draw a ine under it and rock out at your next skirmish 👍

7 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Mesh or polycarbonate I find that a shot to the goggles makes a contact lens fall out.  Bloody irritating!

I thought mesh at first. I see BB's shatter all the time so wouldn't even consider using mesh.

How do the polycarbonate goggles affect your contact lenses?

15 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

How do the polycarbonate goggles affect your contact lenses?

I think that the sharp tap of the BB is enough to knock my face back just enough and just sharply enough to dislodge the lens.  If you have eyes which are not average shape cheap contacts don't always fit the contours of them 100%.  

If you play with the big toys like 600NE, the recoil can detach your retinas.  Being liquid-ish (if you see what I mean) eyes have a fair bit of inertia.  

• Supporters

Decent day indoors at Biohazard.  They made good use of both floors, and play was generally good natured and fair.

There were a couple of players taking the piss with rate of fire and getting away with it because - wait for it - they were using silent HPA proton-blasters.  If the marshals can't hear it, they can't act on it, sadly.

Oh, dry firing in the safe zone.  Jesus wept, and there's no way to excuse that since the site owner was chatting with folk while they were doing it.  I now habitually wear polycarb sunglasses in "safe" zones since they axiomatically aren't. :( 

Still, the actual play was great, although if my faith in the Emperor wasn't so strong I might question His decision about the coverage (or lack thereof) of standard pattern Guard flak armour.  All the squishy bits got peppered.

image.thumb.png.814ba8cceda7f0ea0332a492aefdc447.png

Had a good day at AWA with their new trenches.  Took a couple of directs hits to the cheek but that's part of the fun. 

Think I've cemented my desire to get a DMR... Don't have the patience for sniping, but also not keen on hosing the undergrowth (ohh err). 

Certainly enjoyed lying in my 2  foxholes picking people off as they tried to capture the ammo dump.  

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Think I've cemented my desire to get a DMR... Don't have the patience for sniping, but also not keen on hosing the undergrowth (ohh err).

They do make a fair bit of sense if you're already slow-and-steady on the trigger.  I've actually de-DMRd mine because it was, if anything, too good, and it's quite hard to not trigger spam just a bit when you're presented with a tasty target.

That's the joy of airsoft toys, nothing is permanent.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

hard to not trigger spam

Indeed, I was going to pose the question elsewhere about what is considered a reasonable ROF when using a DMR

Was enjoying the more tactical style of play with my 4x acog, but my Specna simply doesn't have the legs; but it's more than adequate for my level of CQB.  I'm also not willing to spend any more on that particular gun. 

2 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Indeed, I was going to pose the question elsewhere about what is considered a reasonable ROF when using a DMR

Was enjoying the more tactical style of play with my 4x acog, but my Specna simply doesn't have the legs; but it's more than adequate for my level of CQB.  I'm also not willing to spend any more on that particular gun. 

I've played somewhere where they wanted no more than one round per second for a dmr. I know the perun mosfets have dmr mode where you trigger won't function beyond the set rate.

56 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Had a good day at AWA with their new trenches.  Took a couple of directs hits to the cheek but that's part of the fun. 

Certainly enjoyed lying in my 2  foxholes picking people off as they tried to capture the ammo dump.  

Not been to AWA for years, a mate of mine is a marshal there and I keep meaning to get back!

I had a hot and sweaty day at Tower Airsoft in Essex.  This was one of the days run by Camo, who always put on a great day of airsoft with solid but relaxed marshalling and games that make good use of the site and its structures.

I went on my own today as my second eldest is away having far too much fun in MTP, some of which involved an L129A1 and a GPMG.  I am not at all jealous (honest!), but it was quite scary to think that my first shots with a GPMG were 40 years ago; where did the years go?  However, the site had its usual quite large number of experienced and sensible players and I had a great day sneaking around the site turning up where I was not expected to be:).

Unfortunately, the heat seemed to get to people and both numbers and energy levels dropped off a bit during the afternoon, which was not really surprising.  However, the games were still good, just slower.

Overall, another very good day at Tower; many thanks to the Airsoft Plantation and Camo guys, the players and the catering staff, who had a good supply of ice lollies.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

At the sites I've played, it's been "1 in the air" or "Every 2 seconds" - which at DMR ranges is much the same if you actually wait to see the impact or miss.

In practice, I've never seen it policed at all, and I've seen other DMR players taking the absolute piss with it - and it's very easy to do when you see a target appear.

Example, we had a bloke on here reckoning that he might set his mosfet to limit him to a shot every 0.5 seconds, i.e. four times as fast as the above rules/guidelines.

DMRs are super, duper exploitable.  I enjoy(ed) mine, but if I were running a site, I'd ban them off entirely, as one of my local sites already has.

13 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

At the sites I've played, it's been "1 in the air" or "Every 2 seconds" - which at DMR ranges is much the same if you actually wait to see the impact or miss.

In practice, I've never seen it policed at all, and I've seen other DMR players taking the absolute piss with it - and it's very easy to do when you see a target appear.

Example, we had a bloke on here reckoning that he might set his mosfet to limit him to a shot every 0.5 seconds, i.e. four times as fast as the above rules/guidelines.

DMRs are super, duper exploitable.  I enjoy(ed) mine, but if I were running a site, I'd ban them off entirely, as one of my local sites already has.

I am not sure if this is common across sites in general but, at the woodland ones where I play, there has been a significant reduction in the number of DMRs.  I am not sure why this is but, on talking to a few players who have stopped using a DMR, a common factor seems to be that, given the limited lines of sight at woodland sites, there is little or no advantage to running a DMR against well tuned weapons running 0.30g+ BBs at 1.05J with, for example, a Maple Leaf Macaron rubber and Omega nub with no MED and full auto.

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, colinjallen said:

I am not sure if this is common across sites in general but, at the woodland ones where I play, there has been a significant reduction in the number of DMRs.  I am not sure why this is but, on talking to a few players who have stopped using a DMR, a common factor seems to be that, given the limited lines of sight at woodland sites, there is little or no advantage to running a DMR against well tuned weapons running 0.30g+ BBs at 1.05J with, for example, a Maple Leaf Macaron rubber and Omega nub with no MED and full auto.

That's why I've not yet DMRd my M14s. Plenty of range, no MED and still got full auto for when I want it.

17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I might question His decision about the coverage (or lack thereof) of standard pattern Guard flak armour

4952e53be01b3d9cb713177a80f90ead.jpeg.511563be1d1d6637c71972f6be783948.jpeg

After a nightmare two weeks at work covering for my boss (off with covid) and so doing the work of three people rather than the usual two, I needed nothing more this sunday than a good rest...so of course I booked a day airsofting so I could run around in 25c heat in full kit getting shot in the arse and action man crawling through heaps of stinging nettles.

Another great day at Reforger - Team Skins whitewashed the opposition and won every game, despite being substantially outnumbered for the last two games. I managed to stack it badly sprinting back to spawn with an objective item at one point, fucked my knee up and fell hard on my gun, filling the birdcage with mud. The site owner helpfully cleared it out for me. Thought the gun might be well and truly busted but it didn't even lose zero (Lancer gen3 is really holding its own so far).

Day was very slightly marred at the end by someone having a bit of a strop about hit taking in the last game. They had to be told to calm tf down by the two marshals who were within 6 feet of both the shooter and shooter  🙄 

Other than that little incident, hit taking and general sportsmanship was great.

This day also finally made me eligible for a UKARA number, so soon there will be no limit to the amount of shiny shit I can buy...

IMG_20220704_091706_571.thumb.jpg.2341336190c989ab7ab4946ead0f8665.jpg