The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Another decent day at the small-but-perfectly-formed Area-66, at its 1st birthday celebration. Yes, cake was had.  I'm now a confirmed fan of woodland sites that are less walk, more rock.

More decent whiteboard briefings, and generally fair and good natured play.  More marshals this weekend, but still too laissez-faire for my tastes.  The usual delays caused by a couple of teams of Banter Buddies who only started bombing up when those of us there to actually play airsoft were heading out to game start.  Hanging's too good for them.

Chuckles when we had a bloke with a 40K Commissar hat and chainsword as a VIP. I'm currently waxing my helmet (not a euphemism) preparatory to wearing my Cadian kit next weekend.  Let's make dying for the Emperor great again.

image.png.b268f80b03569c1c5475e803763820e8.png

The Emperor Protects

9 minutes ago, Hamster82 said:

Had a cracking day at Ambush Airsoft in Cobham.

This is fast becoming my go to local site with plenty of fast paced gameplay and minimal time spent back in the safe zone.

Its a mid sized woodland site with 5 main game zones (village, bridge, bus, fort and church) and the beginnings of a decent trench system currently in the works.

Gameplay is mostly outdoors with some small scale CQB in the village with the church and fort being good sized two storey structures.

Plenty of pyro and smoke at the site based shop and trust me it is well used 😁

Seem to be a good mix of regulars, experienced walk ons and rentals and one of the friendliest sites I’ve played at with very little in the way of cheaters, non hot takers or other nonsense that can ruin a day.

All in all I shot some people, got shot a lot more, got grenaded several times and ran around in bright coloured smoke like a loon!

No one took themselves too seriously but both teams were definitely trying for the win throughout the day and I can’t ask for more than that for a fun Sunday skirmish!

EEA2C641-F58B-46BD-BC9B-6CBE7FCB2B76.jpeg

8665D8BD-61B6-4456-A5FA-337C07D6CB32.jpeg

C6E4900F-1903-4625-AB5E-7E1054B642CD.jpeg

0F0490CB-814C-4C4C-BA4D-5CA2BAFEA745.jpeg

A470347F-8801-4501-847A-72D3464A9897.jpeg

Looks like a woodland site that I'd give a go. I basically only play CQB but am currently building a long upper for my MWS so need to force myself to play outdoors more to at least partially justify the crippling expenditure. 

Any more pictures of the structures?

10 hours ago, MAX DICKER said: 

Any more pictures of the structures?

They aren’t the greatest but will give you an idea.

391809BF-1A57-40EB-80E9-E50FBEE78D82.jpeg

28CE0C21-B67D-4517-974D-8FB8677EDD1C.jpeg

331F251E-83DD-4A49-BB1B-8DBFC0799A20.jpeg

1F32B8EB-3CBC-460A-958F-7F1F9B1FAC2F.jpeg

761EE701-DBD2-4F5F-A1DC-C96C84FC9F78.jpeg

1D4B167A-42B0-4A3D-B844-BB2352E0CF94.jpeg

9D5DB636-C63F-423A-84EF-3B5A8077A19A.jpeg

C3418423-7FA4-45D6-BCF9-C055D6C59ECF.jpeg

00A7780B-7638-406B-93DB-F13C3D8010EA.jpeg

Walked out of a site yesterday for probably the first time. I have sat out of games before for a number of reasons but pretty sure that was the first time I decided to go home early.

Hit taking was non existent, marshalling was so hands off they might as well not have been there and the game zones and types were average at best.

Shame really but we learn. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

Walked out of a site yesterday for probably the first time. I have sat out of games before for a number of reasons but pretty sure that was the first time I decided to go home early.

Hit taking was non existent, marshalling was so hands off they might as well not have been there and the game zones and types were average at best.

Sorry to hear that, what site was it ? 

Apocalypse paintball in Cambridgeshire.

I think the reason it was mostly crap is the place is 80% paintball with a couple of airsoft games here and there so the focus is not on airsoft which I understand to some degree, but if your going to do something as a business, make it work, very frustrating from a paying players point of view.

Seems to be the theme for sites who run airsoft when its not their main focus, with a couple of exceptions to be fair but will certainly try to avoid sites like this in the future or do more research on them first.

@Albiscuitthats a shame, it was my regular site for a few years when it was run by RIFT and we always had a good time there. 

I have attended once since it changed hands and didn’t experience what you have, other than it being a bit slow to get going on the day (but the weather was awful). 

I heard from another player Rift were much better organised. It was a very slow day too actually, turn around time was slow and lunch seemed to go on forever but that could have been me.

Could have been a culmination of different factors, but a fair few of our team left throughout the day so there was certainly something there.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

The Emperor Protects

The Commissar's faith was weak, he took a bleeder on the lip.  Then his borrowed face guard protec.

16 hours ago, Hamster82 said:

This is fast becoming my go to local site with plenty of fast paced gameplay and minimal time spent back in the safe zone

It's like some beautiful dream.  Great structures and cover too.

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

It was a very slow day too actually, turn around time was slow and lunch seemed to go on forever

It's like some recurring nightmare.

Way too much of this at way too many sites.  Punters who don't want to play, marshals who don't want to marshal, site owners/runners who are mostly there to banter.  Take up fishing instead.

6 hours ago, Hamster82 said:

Thanks man, I'll definitely be taking a road trip there this summer

@Rogerborg God no, fishing is really boring and I really don’t need another hobby.

there’s a review in the relevant section of my terrible game curtesy of @Asomodaiand his reviews if anyones interested.

13 hours ago, Hamster82 said:

That looks great. 45 minutes from me, I may well see you there soon!

9 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

That sucks mate, but sounds like you make the right decision.

• Supporters

Another corker at Area-66.  The briefings were more traditional (i.e. over-complicated and under-explained), marshalling was the usual lackadaisical affair, but the mood was great, the play was fair, and the smiles-per-minute was off the chart.

I was wearing my Astra Militarum gear for the first time outdoors, so a new bunch of folk got to go "Ooh, is that what I think it is?" or "The planet broke before the Guard did!".  My G36C / "lasgun" crapped out completely: the motor totally disengaged, the fire selector popped off, the anti-reversal stopped anti-reversing, and the hop stopped hopping.  But the Machine Spirit was beseeched and all was sorted over lunch.  In the meantime, the TAC-41 was busted out and wow, headshot after headshot.  Like a WuTube video, without the fakery.

Then I came home to find my new HFC HG-132 revolver had been delivered from Bullseye, days earlier than I'd expected.

So much win today.

Another awesome day at Reforger, switched it up and did some different game modes this time - Infected, Juggernaut and Sniper Ambush - and I got to see a few new areas of the site. Had a blast in the last game, running completely out of BBs in the last few seconds in a final mad dash to the truck though sniper fire. Got a complimentary mag fill from @GAMBLE (cheers dude). 

Player conduct seemed pretty good on the whole, bar the odd grumble about hit taking (I get the impression this is par for the course). Someone got booted off site for something but I didn't see what.

I switched to the G36 after lunch, and it behaved well enough, though the optic I have at the moment isn't suitable (another facog is on the way), and I found that gripping the magwell had a tendency to catch the mag release on the m4 converter. Something I'll have to train myself on. Tbh I think I prefer the ergonomics of my m4 so that will remain my primary primary for now.

My entire body aches and it'll probably take me a week to recover. Bring on that next game.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Floperator said:

Player conduct seemed pretty good on the whole, bar the odd grumble about hit taking (I get the impression this is par for the course).

I've formed the impression that there are people who only turn up in order to stand around at respawn pissing and moaning to anyone who will listen about all the CHEETARS that they dumped three mags into.

So when I took a gun hit yesterday, I put my helmet on it and held it up above cover to give them something to shoot at and really complain about. :D 

2 hours ago, Floperator said:

Someone got booted off site for something but I didn't see what.

Good, I'd like to see it to happen more often.  If sites punted the worst player every day, what a hobby this would be.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I've formed the impression that there are people who only turn up in order to stand around at respawn pissing and moaning to anyone who will listen about all the CHEETARS that they dumped three mags into.

So when I took a gun hit yesterday, I put my helmet on it and held it up above cover to give them something to shoot at and really complain about. :D 

Good, I'd like to see it to happen more often.  If sites punted the worst player every day, what a hobby this would be.

And then disappearing at lunch time once they're confident they've got their photos. Would be genuinely curious to see what a difference it would make if sites didn't take photos until the last game or two.

I've never been able to wrap my head around those that seem to actively dislike all aspects of the hobby, but turn up every week and leave once they've got their evidence they attended... having spent their time on site either in the safe zone, spawn points, back at their car or trudging around as if they have an allergy for decent cover and shooting positions. Like, for the general populous this isn't perceived as a 'cool' hobby so I really can't process it.

5 hours ago, Floperator said:

Another awesome day at Reforger, switched it up and did some different game modes this time - Infected, Juggernaut and Sniper Ambush - and I got to see a few new areas of the site. Had a blast in the last game, running completely out of BBs in the last few seconds in a final mad dash to the truck though sniper fire. Got a complimentary mag fill from @GAMBLE (cheers dude). 

Player conduct seemed pretty good on the whole, bar the odd grumble about hit taking (I get the impression this is par for the course). Someone got booted off site for something but I didn't see what.

I switched to the G36 after lunch, and it behaved well enough, though the optic I have at the moment isn't suitable (another facog is on the way), and I found that gripping the magwell had a tendency to catch the mag release on the m4 converter. Something I'll have to train myself on. Tbh I think I prefer the ergonomics of my m4 so that will remain my primary primary for now.

My entire body aches and it'll probably take me a week to recover. Bring on that next game.

Sorry I missed you guys today, had something come up.
Intriguing to know what got the guy kicked off, they seem very on the ball at Reforger, which is great.

I had a great day at Worthing, though for non-standard reasons. I didn't play too much, only playing in the afternoon. Worthing is a woodland site, but it's very much woodland CQB at this time of year and there aren't many places for me to use the VSR with that 30m MED, so I picked a position and covered a flank. The rest of the team managed to get most of the objectives back to our base so all we had to do was defend and stop the other team stealing them, so I was sure that someone would be sneaky and flank around where I was covering... but nobody did. I had the prime sniper experience of sitting completely still in an uncomfortable position for hours without seeing a single target :D 

The reason it was good is that it was a morning of testing for me. I had to set the VSR as the hop rubber had torn a few weeks ago and I'd put a new 85 degree silicone Maple Leaf autobot rubber in it so I had to make sure the hop was set and the scope was zeroed, but the main point was that I also brought the m21 and my spring VSR with me, my two 1.1J sniper rifles, and decided to test what the heaviest BB they'll hop was. Turns out that they both love .4s! The spring VSR gained a little more consistency but no more range, which is still worth it to me as consistency is king for sniping, but the m21 gained a lot more consistency and an extra 5m effective range, slinging accurately to 65m. I can hit around 70m with angled shots, but much further and the BB just doesn't have the energy. I was trying to get angled shots on the 75m target, but I could see the BBs just grinding to a halt shortly after 70m no matter what I tried. No matter, 65m effective range with no MED will suit me just fine. The VSR was doing it's usual 75m effective, 85m relatively effective (have to angle shots, but can reliably do so), but my friend told me to stand by the 100m target as he thought he was hitting it when I gave him my VSR to shoot. He wasn't, as I was standing about 2m to the side of it and they're metal so they make a nice dink when hit, but it was cloooooose. The BBs were landing between 90 - 95m. Could I push for 100m? Maybe, but there's no point thinking about it as I never have to take shots at that range and prefer to take accurate shots. If they're that far away, I'll just sit in my ghillie and wait for them to get a bit closer ;)

However, it has shown me that it is time to put the VSR back in stasis, as Worthing is just not practical for sniper rifles any more (well, not entirely as I'll still take it to a Vietnam game next month as Gunman Eversley is far more open than Worthing). It's definitely now the season for the m21 and MWS as the two guns I'll bring with me each week!

• Supporters

First game back in months yesterday, went to Strikeforce CQB for a buddy's birthday.

I think I can honestly say it was one of the worst days I've ever played. of the 20 or so of us that went as a group, about 15 left before lunch because things were so bad.

As a group we know that if things are getting a bit heated then we'll sit out for a bit and rejoin after. Halfway through the second game after lunch I needed a "breath of fresh air". Went outside to find pretty much the entire remainder of our group outside which I've never seen happen before. So we collectively sacked it off and went to the pub.

As for the game itself - a combination of gobby rentals and speedybois that were overkilling every thing they saw move did it for me. Hit taking was so bad that after the first warm up game the marshal briefing the next game had a massive moan about it but it didn't seem to make any difference and nothing more was said about it. Our most reserved member nearly came to blows with a rental that both refused to take hits AND was dumping half a mag into everything.

I very much doubt I'll be going back there again (unless it's for a private game).

8 minutes ago, Lozart said:

First game back in months yesterday, went to Strikeforce CQB for a buddy's birthday.

I think I can honestly say it was one of the worst days I've ever played. of the 20 or so of us that went as a group, about 15 left before lunch because things were so bad.

As a group we know that if things are getting a bit heated then we'll sit out for a bit and rejoin after. Halfway through the second game after lunch I needed a "breath of fresh air". Went outside to find pretty much the entire remainder of our group outside which I've never seen happen before. So we collectively sacked it off and went to the pub.

As for the game itself - a combination of gobby rentals and speedybois that were overkilling every thing they saw move did it for me. Hit taking was so bad that after the first warm up game the marshal briefing the next game had a massive moan about it but it didn't seem to make any difference and nothing more was said about it. Our most reserved member nearly came to blows with a rental that both refused to take hits AND was dumping half a mag into everything.

I very much doubt I'll be going back there again (unless it's for a private game).

Can absolutely understand your frustration. Its basically the speedybois in their ridiculous painball gear and hpa pistols with high cap M4 mags that ruin the site.

Their play style basically boils down sprinting around following the stream of BB's that's constantly coming out of their guns.

Real pity because other than that, I really like Strikeforce.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Hit taking was so bad that after the first warm up game the marshal briefing the next game had a massive moan about it but it didn't seem to make any difference

It never does, because the people doing it don't give a stuff.  Either sort it out on the field, or don't waste everyone's time by hectoring the decent players.

See above about ejecting the reprobates, any my re-affirmed belief that the skillset for marshalling is pretty much a 1:1 match with bouncers.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MAX DICKER said:

Can absolutely understand your frustration. Its basically the speedybois in their ridiculous painball gear and hpa pistols with high cap M4 mags that ruin the site.

Their play style basically boils down sprinting around following the stream of BB's that's constantly coming out of their guns.

Real pity because other than that, I really like Strikeforce.

As a site, Strikeforce is decent enough and I've had decent times there before. As I said I'm sure I'll go back for private games but not a standard skirmish open day.

Had another session at Driver Wood on Saturday. Had fun but the experience was marred a little by a few people. Chav lad and his mates rocking up with 2 tones that were brand new in the box, one took the packaging off in front of me and then gobbed off about how experienced he was to his mates who were taking rentals. They spent the entire game not taking hits, mag dumping on people and going into areas they weren't allowed to (coming right up to the spawn and camping and diving out of the roped area to avoid getting shot was their fave) at lunch they were bragging to each other about not taking hits. Marshall tried but had a lot on his plate due to the 2 snipers shooting people from about 5m away, someone with HPA running much heavier BBs than stated at Chrono (clearly), someone who defo had a DMR they were running on full auto as well as the dude hip firing his LMG randomly despite getting told he can only suppress from the bipod being mounted. Lots of people shot with the BBs penetrating skin and instances of kids getting badly overshot 

Lots of grumbles above I'll admit, the lack of hit taking and the amount of very heavy fire meant that one team was permanently crippled while the other controlled the map. At the end of the day I still very much enjoyed it and just took it for what it was, felt for a couple of dads whose kids were not having a great time, came across one guy with 2 kids waiting the game out in the spawn rather than go out and get shot again which is a bit sad. 

Driver Wood is a great site, Gareth who runs it is a good guy and they have a really nice team there. the amount of stuff from armoured cars through to helicopters, boats, cars etc on the site make it a really good immersive experience and worth a visit.  I think they know the issues with marshalls and speaking to people as they are currently hiring team members so I'd imagine it'll get sorted in the longer term.